“Foul, Should Be For Smokers Only”

Western Ranch Motor Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syracuse
Western Ranch Motor Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Chicago, Illinois
“Foul, Should Be For Smokers Only”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were passing through the area and had been calling and calling hotels looking for a place to stay. Everyone, absolutely everyone, was full, except Western Ranch Motor Inn, and now we know why. The room was extremely dated, which I don't mind, if it is clean. This room was not. Housekeeping did a good job with clean towels and sheets, and the bathroom had no residual hair. However, the general upkeep of the room was awful. There was literally a big section of carpet ripped up in the middle of the room, it was flopped over, exposing the padding beneath it. You'd think they'd glue it down or something. The carpet looked ancient and so worn, no carpet cleaner in the world would have restored it. I have a baby that is crawling and I wouldn't let him touch it the entire stay. I peeled off the bedspread too as it looked like it hadn't been washed for awhile and wouldn't let my kids touch it. There was no ventilation in the bathroom, and you could see the mildew on the walls. The caulking was cracking. There is a huge, HUGE pothole, wider than our van, on the road to the back side of the inn. It wouldn't be hard to buy some gravel and fill it up a bit. Such poor maintenance it was astounding. I understand that you get what you pay for, but the night before we had stayed at a hotel only priced $40 more that was very nice, clean, with a free continental breakfast and pool.

The other patrons were loud and the walls were thin. We were woken up around 3 am by some women with raspy voices yelling at their barking dog to be quiet.

We specifically requested a non-smoking room, although I should have known from the strong smell of smoke at the check-in desk, this motel probably doesn't have true non-smoking rooms. We noticed the stale smell of smoke immediately upon entering our room, and an ashtray. I react highly to smoke and had red eyes and an irritated respiratory system for over 24 hours after leaving.

A few good points-the water was hot and the ladies at the check in desk were friendly.

If we would have had any other option to stay at another hotel, we definitely would have taken it. We were desperate with 3 kids crying from exhaustion in the car.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cicero, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Although I have never stayed a this motel, we recently stopped here for dinner. The food was surprisingly very good, as well as the service. We have no complaints whatsoever. It was good simple home cooked food at very reasonable prices. The check for two of us including two non-alcoholic beverages came to only around $20.00. It is a quiet enjoyable atmosphere. We plan to go back again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank eyerishwoman
Greece, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My father & I stayed here this past Saturday night for the NYS Fair. From the reviews I wasn't sure what we would be getting ourselves into, but were willing to try it as all the other hotels wanted $120 more, and we only needed a place to sleep and take a shower. We were very pleased with our stay and especially the price for a Saturday night during the fair, $99. The motel is older but our room was very clean and comfortable and the employees were all very nice. After the fair we came back and stopped at the bar for a couple drinks(it was quiet, for a Saturday night unlike other reviews on here). The bartender was very nice and personable. I plan on going again next year to the fair and will be staying here again for the price and cleanliness you can't be it. It is far away from the city, but when going to the state fairgrounds it is the perfect drive less then 10 minutes down the road(wouldn't recommend walking). On a side note which has nothing to do with the hotel but the fair.. we went to the fair sat morning then about 1pm went back to the motel for a few hours to rest went back to the fair at dinner time and had to pay the parking fee again at the fair.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shari m
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I love classic old funky hotels for my American travel experiences, and found this one by searching for an inexpensive place to stay in Syracuse that was *not* a chain. It's an old motor inn from the 1940s, surrounded by a gravelly lot and not much else! Thankfully there is an old-school cafe on the premises and a tavern with a taxidermied raccoon and neon cactus. The cafe isn't for breakfast, and there *is* no breakfast, nor coffee in the rooms, so bring your own, or they will also refer you to Mimi's, which is an old-school diner up the street. The rooms have dark paneled walls, which is fun: there is nothing overtly wrong with anything unless you are super fastidious and/or high maintenance. The front staff are accommodating and sweet and gave us the group discount for a horse show that was happening at the fairgrounds even though we weren't with that group, because I inquired for the best rate. Approach them with sweetness and you will likely get sweetness back. Just enjoy yourself :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bluecowboyyoga
Connecticut
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed at the motel on a trip to the Syracuse Antiques Show in Liverpool as a dealer/exhibitor. There were several other dealers that I met in the dining room who told me that they have been staying at the motel for many years and were happy with the service and the price. The decor isn't great and the furnishings are definitely shabby, but what can anyone expect when the rates are so low? My room was in the main building so I was able to get to the Dining room and the bar without going outside. The staff is AMERICAN and ENGLISH SPEAKING and the rooms are about as clean as they can be considering the age of the fabrics and furnishings. I will be going back there and staying for four nights during the Thanksgiving weekend as I will be a Dealer at the Antiques Show at the Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Being a lover of older motels, I had found this place by looking at other reviews here. We were a bit surprised at how far from town it was. I have no idea what road was where I-690 is in 1948, but we were way out of town. This place was about what I expected. It is a pretty large building, one story in the front, two in the back. We got a room around back for about $55. The road leading down to that section is steep, and has an abrupt drop where it goes from pavement to gravel. Our room was pretty funky. There was quite a bit of knotty pine paneling, and the bathroom had beige tile with beautiful aqua fixtures. There is a restaurant, but it wasn't open that night.

On the down side, the carpet was really old and threadbare, with some spots. The TV was small and old, and the mattress was really dead and mushy. Altogether, I can't really complain for the price. I'd much rather support an older family place than pay twice the price for a chain.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
New York, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2008

This place is a classic roadside hotel, from the price to the decor. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times and the rooms are a little run down but they are clean. I have never stayed there when it was busy (such as during the State Fair), so they might be overwhelmed at those times.

When I have stayed, it was quiet and hospitable. Having a bar on site is a real bonus. They also have a small resturant; I have not eaten there yet, but the patrons in the bar have said the food is surprisingly good. I will make a point of it to eat there next time.

For about same price as a Motel 8 or other such chains in Syracuse, I much prefer the Ranch where you can drive right up to your room and pretty much have the place to yourself.

• Liked — Bar, Location, Price, Quiet
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit run down, no late check out
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Chetek65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syracuse
Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
#22 of 32 in Syracuse
Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds
Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds
Best Western The Inn At The Fairgrounds
Knights Inn Syracuse/Liverpool
Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor

Been to Western Ranch Motor Inn? Share your experiences!