“Oh my god, we stayed here?”

Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Choice Hotels wake up this Inn is going down hill. Tired, smelly, rusty sinks do I need to continue. Our room door looked like it had been kicked in, as it had screws holding it together around the latch, it smelled quite musty and the sink drain was nearly rusted out. I am not sure if he Inn needs to be refreshed or bulldozed, but one or the other is imperative. On the other hand the staff were helpful and did their best to help in any way they knew how. Good people in an Inn that is going no where.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is perhaps the strangest location of a hotel, nestled between an on-ramp and the Interstate, but it was quiet and comfortable and recently redone. It seems like it would be easy to find, but once you're off the highway, you have to poke along the dark road looking for the entrance which is not lighted. Couple that with pouring rain, and it was very frustrating trying to find the way in. Once we accomplished this task, we found a welcoming and friendly front desk. We could see a comfortable breakfast area and breakfast bar/evening bar where you could watch television. The bar was still in the remodeling stage as it was bare plywood. We found our room easily and discovered a recently redecorated room done in boutique style with an upscale look. It had the look of a mid-century modern redesign with geometric patterns. We stay at a lot of Comfort Inns because of the points program, and we'd have to say this was one of the first that really felt like it was taken up a notch when remodeled. Our night was quiet and we woke up rested after a night on the superior mattress. Downstairs we found the typical Comfort Inn breakfast with eggs and sausages, waffles and an assortment of fruit, cereals, yogurts etc. It's nothing special, but it is what you'd expect. We didn't have any issues with staff not being able to keep up or cleanliness. We had no trouble with the Internet either. The only issue would be the fact that the side doors don't have locks so anyone has access to the hotel. However, since you're on an island of grass strangled by highways, not too many suspicious people would seem to travel all that way out of town. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Babu2773
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed at this Comfort Inn on a one day trip to Syracuse. Picked this hotel because the price was low and location seemed convenient. Well, the price was indeed low and location was close to major highways (we could hear the trucks go by all night). This hotel provides the basics but not much more. The rooms were OK and some renovations have been made but the bathrooms were pretty old. This is pretty much a trucker stop.
So, if you are looking for a place to crash at a low price, this place works; otherwise there are better choices in Syracuse.

Room Tip: There are no restaurants on site or close by. Also, ask for a room on the opposite side of the high...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RLarok
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Four night stay on business. Kept getting knocked off the internet, there was no Laundry facility, the breakfast bar was unappealing and left unattended, hallways were cluttered and dirty, location was isolated from anywhere to eat. The staff tried to be hospitable, but there was just too much for them to overcome. I would never stay here again, and it tarnishes my opinion of Comfort Inn's everywhere. If given a choice of staying here or in my car, I would stay here, but its close.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you can't avoid it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had 2 rooms booked here, the weekend after July 4th. Primarily picked it because it was located just off the highway, we were looking for a place to sleep for the night to break our 10 hour drive up. We had asked for one to be handicap accessible and one regular room. We reached the hotel around 10 PM, only to be told that they were overbooked and couldn't give us the handicap accessible room. We had to settle for a regular room. The front desk staff were indifferent to our questions and took no effort to allay our concerns. They seemed more interested in the fireworks that were going off !
The rooms were terribly furnished, reeked of smoke (we could not breathe in there, it felt like I was INSIDE a smokers' room in the airport) and the cover on the bed had some kind of stains on them.
There also seemed to be some kind of loud party going on on the same floor, there was a lot of noise.
I would stay away from here and any more hotels from this chain henceforth. I wish I could have my money and experience back !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
gm_ny090, General Manager at Comfort Inn Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Hello,

I am certainly concerned in regards to your stay. Could you provide a bit more information as Our hotel was not fully booked that weekend, has just newly furnished guest rooms and located in an area where fireworks were not on display nearby for viewing. Could you possibly contact me at my email address gm.ny090@choicehotels.com with your stay information? I will be happy to assist you!
MaryJo A.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Keeping in mind that this isn't the Ritz, for the money paid it was ok. Not the easiest place to find. Staff was generally friendly. My room was very acceptable and the furnishings were adequate. The bed was very comfortable. Internet accessibility was very very poor. It would boot you off literally every 10 - 15 minutes and would require you to accept the hotel terms again and again and again to log back on each and every time. VERY frustrating. Breakfast offerrings were ok if you like cold cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, etc. I however am partial to hot offerrings when available. This was quite interesting. The first morning I went down and found one (1) covered pan with only two (2) sausage patties in it. No eggs (or similar substitute), bacon or anything else warm. Just the two patties. The second morning there was the same single pan, but this time there were very interesting pre-conceived egg looking things that were rubbery and tasteless. This time there were no sausage patties or anything else, just the egg thingies. The last morning, again, single pan, this time with bacon......and nothing else. So, I guess I can say I got a variety of choices, just not on the same day. Previous reviews indicated ongoing construction in the breakfast area. The only indication I saw of this was the plywood breakfast bar where there were stools set up to eat when the tables were occupied. Since my room was on the top floor, I used the elevator frequently. This just warrants mentioning because I found it very unusual. It worked fine and was quick, however it looked as if it was taken out of a hospital as it was HUGE. It would easily fit two hospital gurneys in it as well as a handfull of people. Not quite sure why they need one that big, but I digress. Overall was a pleasant stay as I kept reminding myself it was not designed to be a 5 star establishment.

Room Tip: Smokers (which I am) get rooms on the top floor and is apparent as soon as you step out of the eleva...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Good hotel for the price. Clean rooms, painless check in, good neighborhood. All amenities worked well, room featured a fridge as well. Bed was comfortable and walls were thick. Overall, a very nice stay. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
gm_ny090, General Manager at Comfort Inn Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

It was our pleasure!
Thank you for your positive comments and We hope you will stay with us again soon!

MaryJo A.