“Close to Fairgrounds”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Upstate NY
“Close to Fairgrounds”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We planned a weekend with friends for the Great New York State Fair and pretty much everything in the area close by was booked. I was able to find three rooms available at the Clarion Inn, all king rooms with hot tubs. I really assumed this availability was a bad sign. I was wrong. The rooms were a little dated but very clean. The bed was super comfortable and there was a Keurig in the bathroom! The bartender was a very personable funny little woman and passed us off the waitress with a little flair. The waitress was a trip, as well. Kept us laughing. The food was surprisingly wonderful. Six guests and everyone had a great meal. The noise from the hot tub filling up in the next room was a little loud, but it wasn't that late, so not a huge deal. The air conditioner tripping on and off kept my husband from getting a great nights sleep, but I didn't hear a thing. The free breakfast in the morning was nicely stocked with fresh bagels, muffins, or toast, you could make belgian waffles or pancakes, there was regular flavored yogurt or greek yogurt selections and cereal or oatmeal. We will be staying here again next year at fair time.

Room Tip: stay away from the hot tub rooms if you don't like to hear noise from your neighbors. hot tubs a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank robbec1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Merced, California
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Tired, raining, picked a spot to rest. Staff is great but the room is a combo of sweat and mildew smells. Lysol req. Going to cancel our Choice Hotel account as this trip did not produce decent rooms

• Stayed June 2011
NY, NY
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This hotel was just a terrible disappointment. Run down, in an old industrial area, something from the 60's that should have been torn down 40 years ago.

When making the reservation the clerk was very pleasant, and said the rooms were nice and recently renovated. Well maybe in 1973 they were, but not in the short term which you would think when a clerk says that. Upon check in, the overweight and insolent desk attendant had the ambition of a snail. I asked for a no smoking room, got one that smelled terribly of smoke. Went back to the desk and asked for a different room, one that was no smoking and his response was "the rooms are cleaned, but we can't stop people from smoking in them"! Well why offer no smoking rooms if they are not? Going to the new room the hall smelled terribly of smoke, and after entering saw the windows would not open. So started the noisy fan, just to get some fresh air.

In the morning, the clerk was just as rude and would not budge one hour for a later checkout. This is a terrible hotel, stains on the ceiling, holes in the drapes, but was the only thing I could find under $100.00 in Syracuse, NY. Not a major market city, just a stop off the freeway. How they could charge these rates for such a shabby facility is beyond me.

Never again would I think of staying here, or finding such a place that was so horribly misrepresented. Pass on this one no matter what the rate.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Boston
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed one night memorial day weekend and then another night the following weekend (driving from Boston to Toronto and back again with 2 little kids so we chose to break our journey here each way). The standard rooms are nothing fancy but for a one night stay at the price we paid ($80) it was just fine. The hotel serves a nice continental breakfast (during our stay that meant - bagels, english muffins, fresh-made waffles, oatmeal, pop tarts, two kinds of cereal, whole fruit, fruit salad, blueberry and banana nut muffins, juices, coffee and tea). One real plus is that the hotel has a restaurant - very nice to be able to order dinner in the restaurant or room service after a long day of driving (and the food was really very good!) Like I said, nothing fancy but nothing to complain about either. I would stay with my family again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stayed here with my two children and was appalled that a Clarion was this filthy. It smelled like cigarette smoke, there was a stain in the ceiling, mold on the walls and the bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The hallways are dark and smelly. Our TV did not work correctly. I would have rather stayed in a cardboard box on the street. This place is terrible.

• Stayed June 2011
gmclarion381, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Without input from our guests, both negetive and positive we cannot obtain a clear picture of our hotel. I have addressed the issues that were brought to my attention. I encourage all hotel guests to contact the front desk during their stay should they have any issues with their rooms , by doing so it enables us to ensure a positive experience. Guest satisfaction is of upmost importance to us.
Orange
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Even though I stay in Syracuse often, I had never stayed at the Clarion Inn before. I paid just a few dollars more than the what I usually pay but there was no comparison in what I received in return. Without asking, they had upgraded me to a very nice suite with no additional charge. I had a new thin TV in my bed room and a second in the living room. All the furniture look fairly new. All the door locks I went through actually worked! This is rare in this area for the price I paid. The hotel has a nice restaurant. The menu is a bit limited but for someone that usually eats every scrap of food I can scrounge, I was totally stuffed with my $9.99 dinner! After tax, my complete dinner along with a basket of bread and a salad came to $10.79. It was almost weird how nice everyone treated me!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2010

In September and again last week (November) we travelled to New York State. On both visits, we stayed at this hotel and on both occasions, the hotel manager, Karen Crosby, went "above and beyond" to assist us with directions, maps to events and competitions we wished to attend, but could not locate. Other requests we made regarding our accommodations were quickly and efficiently acted upon.

Her friendly and helpful manner made our stay most enjoyable and ensures we will choose this hotel on our next visit.

The Elliotts