“Decent Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Long Island, New York
“Decent Hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hotel wasn't bad - I was leary because of some bad reviews. On check-in, the hotel's computer system was out. The clerk was not flustered but handled the check-in very nicely. We had reservations and was pleased with the suite we were assigned. The room was clean. We arrived late and went looking for a place to eat. The local diner closed at 9 pm so we went back to the hotel to eat at Marcella's which is located in the hotel. The reason we didn't orginally stay there was because there was a singer performing by the bar that was extremely loud with the mic system in use. Marcella's was just about to close but the owner and waitress were very kind to make us a salad to go. They were very accomodating.
By the way, the hotel had a business center with two computers and a printer. They also had free wireless in the rooms. The breakfast was fine to getting your day started. Nothing elaborate but ok. The toasters weren't always working. But for the price, this hotel is fine.
We went to the State Fair. This hotel was only a few minutes away from the fairgrounds.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went to this hotel because it advertises ny state fairgrounds it is not at the fairgrounds or walking distance as the name seems, the room had mold on the wall that we found the next morning bc we all kinda immediately slept as soon as we arrived from the fair. The room had cracks In the walls and borders, the closet door nearly killed my gf as it fell tward her bc it was broken! Tried to go for a swim b4 the fair on Sunday only to find myself weaving between construction equipment to get to the nasty pool! I travel pretty regularly and have never seen a room even close to as bad and I've stayed in some cheap places! So I'd advise you to stay away!! Aug 24-25 2013 room 251. Worst hotel experience EVER!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apoligize that you thought we were in walking distance of the fair, our hotel is considered a fairgrounds location because we are only a 5 minute drive. I have discussed your concerns in your room with our housekeeping and maintenance department leaders. Again thank you for the review.

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Absolutely disgusting hotel!!! Please just drive by. After my husband drove 6 hours, we checked in at 2am only to find out hotel was home to 70 seasonal worker for a month who had caused some damage to the hotel ie no security door locked, it was actually completely opened with a bunch of people hanging around at 2 am not to mention the other people running around screaming the hallway.I called front desk to voice my concerns about all the hair in bathroom that was not cleaned and asked about the noise and was told that if too noisy that he would come down and scream at them and sorry about the washroom etc and btw expedia is useless, they suggested I write a review but took no responsibility, its better to book directly because at least you have the option to get yout money back and go to another hotel. I would pay extra just to not have my family go through that again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I apologize that you were unhappy during your recent stay with us.
South Nyack, New York, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was booked into room 200 of the Clarion Fairgrounds in Syracuse NY and I was bone tired from driving all day. I just needed rest, I didn't want to spend any time writing this review, but I'm hoping to save someone the trouble of staying at this dump. The state of this room was appalling, especially if you are laying on your back on the bed, trying to rest, and look up at the ceiling. I don't know how Clarion could rent a room that has such a water stained and moldy ceiling. It was disgusting. I've worked as a paint contractor for years and I can tell when water damage is recent and when it's had time to cure. This damage was not recent. I know Clarion is a bargain chain but this room is like one I'd expect to find in flophouse hotel for hookers and bums. I won't stay at a Clarion again and I'll think twice before staying at any of their hotels. Shame on them for renting this room out.

Room Tip: Try the Crestwood Suites.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. It is unfortunate that you did not stay with us. I have notified our maintenance department to correct room 200.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Upon check in very courteous lobby very nice. Once we got to room we inspected beds etc... We went to turn on some light and found 3 of 4 lamps unplugged had to move bed and desk to get plugged back in. One lamp didn't even have a bulb in it. Found comforter with questionable stains on it called to get another did not have anymore but could bring us some blankets. Ok no big deal its summer but still... Bathroom was clean but can't open door all the way because of the bent shower rod (which was great while showering) but not great while trying to do anything else in bathroom. Got the air going in the room door broken off control pad for unit and had old school dial to set temp. Soon found out though as our room was close to an exit that when someone outside is smoking it gets sucked through the air unit and blown into the room not at all pleased with this. The last big negative is when we went to close the curtains we found the privacy curtain only attached at one spot and as soon as we tried to close it pulled the rest of the way out of the ceiling. Jacuzzi tub was clean control for jets not in a very good spot. It was around the corner and on a wall that backed up to the bathroom and had to get out of tub to turn jets back on. It appears they are doing renovations as there are mounds of carpet stacked by the dumpster.

• Stayed August 2013
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the new curved shower rod, that is a new feature we are adding to our rooms. Our property is 100% smoke free with designated smoking areas set up outside. I apologize that another guest did not go to the designated area, which brought the smell into your room. As we complete our renovations, I will mention the placement of the Jacuzzi tub timer, to see if it can be moved closer to the Jacuzzi.
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This hotel was cheaper than most but wasn't close in proximity to much. Room smelled musty and could tell from the carpet outside in the parking lot they must be redoing the carpet. Shower was very old and for us tall ones was hard to use. Also I don't like people smoking right outside the door you walk in, not sure where they should smoke but it gets all on your luggage. Pool was outdoor and fitness room appeared nice but we didn't use either of them. Breakfast was a good option in the morning. Floor was dirty so I'd recommend they do a better job of vacuuming in the room. Service was excellent as they recommended places for dinner and brought us extra towls right away when requested.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are excited to say, that the carpet you saw has all been installed. We are still in the process of renovating the bathrooms, so I will voice the concern of the height of the shower heads for our taller guests.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for a week for a golf tournament at Drumlins East. Im not sure what all the "dirty" comments are about? This hotel was very clean..room was large with great blankets and pillows. There is a nice fitness center, a restaurant, outside swimming pool, and guest laundry. The restaurant is kind of weird..edible but strange menu. There is nothing to eat around hotel..so we resorted to eating in a few times. I had my two dogs with me and they were only $25 each for the whole week. There is a 40 lb limit but they were kind enough to make an exception for my standard poodle. There is a large area around hotel to walk them..but if you are looking for a park..it is only 5 min away. Long Branch park..has nice trails! There is free breakfast..and it was very nice..pancakes,sausage,bacon,eggs,cereal,fruit,etc. and they keep it open until 10..which is better idea than 9 like most places! The only complaint I would have about this place is we were getting a weekly rate and I was given total for week. I initialed for it and then checked my online bank account an hour later and they had put a hold on almost $1000! They put a hold on enough $ for their regular rate of like $130! I have been traveling a lot of years and I have never had a hotel put a hold on a different rate! I had enough $ in the account but I don't think this is right! Thankfully it came off about 4 days later! Bottom line is if you are staying for a week in the Syracuse area..this is your best bet as far as rate and quality of hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I'm so glad you were able to bring your dogs over to Longbranch Park! Did you also visit the dog park while you were here? We love all of our furry four-legged guests. Make sure you always pick a pet-friendly hotel when traveling!