“Son's Graduation from SU”

Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at the Clarion the weekend my son graduated from Syracuse University. We found our room very clean and comfortable. Linens were all fresh and there were plenty of towels in the bathroom. The only complaints I could mention is that the water pressure is very slow and the vending machines were a considerable walk from our room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your past stay with us! Congrats on your son's graduation!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I bought a room through Expedia and at check-in signed a standard form agreeing to pay for any damages or incidental costs. When I received my credit card bill I saw that I had been charged an additional $108. Management never tried to contact me to tell me what the problem was; only when I disputed the charge through my credit card company did I get documentation that the comforter was stained. This document was dated AFTER I contested the claim. How gutless and deceptive of this hotel not to try to contact me to tell me there was a problem and what it would cost. They may have thought I'd overlook the charge on the credit card. Although this hotel is close to my aged father and convenient in that regard, my children and I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Best tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kris B
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with is. I apoligize the issue of the damaged item was not discussed with you.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Found this place online when searching discount sites for some place near Syracuse as we planned an overnight visit from Canada to check out some shopping in the area (Waterloo Premium Outlet Mall and Destiny USA). Online reviews were mixed but overall it sounded promising.

We were travelling with our two teenagers and their girlfriend/boyfriend so booked two rooms (total of 6 people, 3 in 'boys' room, 3 in 'girls' room) and, even booking at the last minute, were happy to be able to get adjoining rooms on the second floor without it costing more. We found the rooms clean & apparently recently redone. It was a hot day when we arrived so we all headed down to the pool and had a lovely refreshing swim.

We didn't feel like driving elsewhere for dinner so just walked down the hall to Marcella's restaurant. We were there on a Wednesday night and had noticed that Fri & Sat they had live music announced, but we were in luck as Wed happens to be their open mic night! The host, Keith, was an amazing talent, so we thoroughly enjoyed listening to him & others while we had dinner, then I got up to play a couple of tunes, then 3 other members of our musical travelling party also did, all welcomed warmly by host & bar staff. A great 'family friendly' experience!

The food was good, generously portioned, and very reasonably priced. We had a variety of things around the table, with 6 of us ordering, and everyone enjoyed what they had.

The feature of 'breakfast included' was another reason why we chose this inn (with two teenage boys in tow!). The options included hot items like egg patties (shaped to fit on an english muffin), sausage, pancakes and hashbrowns (along with cold cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, toast, english muffins, packaged muffins). The morning we were there, however, just after 9:00 (quite busy), neither of the toasters was working, so toasted bread or other items were not an option for many guests (just cold bread). Seems a breaker had tripped and they eventually got one toaster back on by the time we were leaving, about half an hour later. Hopefully that was just a one time incident and not a regular occurrence.

Free wifi was pretty good, as we had several devices among us that we were connecting with (4 teens in the group!). One appealing feature was that all the desk/bedside lamps had electrical outlets on their bases, making them convenient. I often have trouble finding/accessing plugs in hotel rooms so that was a pleasant surprise, particularly with so many people with devices to charge.

One strange thing was that the small button on the inside of the bathroom doorknob would lead one to believe that the door was locked when pushed in, but when the knob was turned from outside of the bathroom the button pops out & the door opens! We tested both bathrooms just to see if the one was a fluke, and both were like this. Another issue that perhaps management will look into resolving was that the hallway door to the outside (parking lot), which should have been room key-controlled was not locked.

Overall a very good experience and this would be a great place to stay if attending the state fair (which was starting the day we left). We would stay here again if coming back to shop in the Syracuse area. The pool was a real plus for summer travel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for the positive feedback of your recent stay with us! We are so glad you enjoyed yourself at open mic night in Marcella's restaurant. We would love you to come back and perform again with us! We have open mic night every Wednesday starting at 7pm, and live entertainment every Friday and Saturday. Hope to see you again soon during your next shopping trip!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay while attending the NYS fair. We choose this hotel for it's close proximity to the fairgrounds and it's price. Well I know some say you get what you pay for, WE CERTAINLY DID NOT! Before even getting into our room we had to pass a mound of open paint cans and painting supplies under a staircase. When we entered the room it had a horrible musty smell. The walls and carpet looked fairly new but the furniture looked like it had been through a war. Upon entering the bathroom there were pieces of caulking that had lifted off the tub and were laying on the floor. There were tiles lifted on one of the shower walls with ALOT of mold on the others. The sink had large chips all around the basin. Both the toilet and tissue holders were covered with rust. The bathroom needed a good cleaning They did have coffee set up neatly set up on the counter in the bathroom but I have no idea how we were supposed to make it because there was no coffee maker to be had. When my husband and I returned from a long day at the fair I went to put the light on and a spark shot from the lamp. I turned the ac unit on and it sounded like a jet was landing in our room. The fan was sooooo loud which turned out to be a good thing because it helped drown out the noise of the people hanging out and carrying on in the back of the hotel. I wanted to take a dip in the pool the next morning so I checked the antiquated hotel directory which stated the pool opened at 9:00am. I arrived at 9:45am to find the gate to the pool locked and a mother and her children waiting by the entrance. The mother informed me that the front desk told her that the pool would be open in 10 mins. At 10:25 I went to the front desk and was told she had to find the maintenance man to open the gate. The man finally came to open the gate. What was so disturbing was I saw this gentleman pass us 25 mins prior, saw us waiting to get into the pool and did nothing. Not worth half the price!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Deborah C

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I apoligize for the concerns with your, and have addressed them with our maintenance department to be handled right away.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hotel wasn't bad - I was leary because of some bad reviews. On check-in, the hotel's computer system was out. The clerk was not flustered but handled the check-in very nicely. We had reservations and was pleased with the suite we were assigned. The room was clean. We arrived late and went looking for a place to eat. The local diner closed at 9 pm so we went back to the hotel to eat at Marcella's which is located in the hotel. The reason we didn't orginally stay there was because there was a singer performing by the bar that was extremely loud with the mic system in use. Marcella's was just about to close but the owner and waitress were very kind to make us a salad to go. They were very accomodating.
By the way, the hotel had a business center with two computers and a printer. They also had free wireless in the rooms. The breakfast was fine to getting your day started. Nothing elaborate but ok. The toasters weren't always working. But for the price, this hotel is fine.
We went to the State Fair. This hotel was only a few minutes away from the fairgrounds.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went to this hotel because it advertises ny state fairgrounds it is not at the fairgrounds or walking distance as the name seems, the room had mold on the wall that we found the next morning bc we all kinda immediately slept as soon as we arrived from the fair. The room had cracks In the walls and borders, the closet door nearly killed my gf as it fell tward her bc it was broken! Tried to go for a swim b4 the fair on Sunday only to find myself weaving between construction equipment to get to the nasty pool! I travel pretty regularly and have never seen a room even close to as bad and I've stayed in some cheap places! So I'd advise you to stay away!! Aug 24-25 2013 room 251. Worst hotel experience EVER!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apoligize that you thought we were in walking distance of the fair, our hotel is considered a fairgrounds location because we are only a 5 minute drive. I have discussed your concerns in your room with our housekeeping and maintenance department leaders. Again thank you for the review.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Absolutely disgusting hotel!!! Please just drive by. After my husband drove 6 hours, we checked in at 2am only to find out hotel was home to 70 seasonal worker for a month who had caused some damage to the hotel ie no security door locked, it was actually completely opened with a bunch of people hanging around at 2 am not to mention the other people running around screaming the hallway.I called front desk to voice my concerns about all the hair in bathroom that was not cleaned and asked about the noise and was told that if too noisy that he would come down and scream at them and sorry about the washroom etc and btw expedia is useless, they suggested I write a review but took no responsibility, its better to book directly because at least you have the option to get yout money back and go to another hotel. I would pay extra just to not have my family go through that again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I apologize that you were unhappy during your recent stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Syracuse
Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
Comfort Inn Carrier Circle
Comfort Inn Carrier Circle
#20 of 31 in Syracuse
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse North Airport Area

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!