“Not a safe feeling”

Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
New York
“Not a safe feeling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel is nice and clean. Room service was fast. My only complaint is the room keys. Whomever programs them does not know how to set them to expire at checkout. I stayed three nights with a pet. Every day I got locked out of the building. Every early morning I had to walk from the back of the building - past the deserted dimly lit parking lot, to the front lobby to have them reset my keys.
Either a new key system or staff education is in order.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Kentwood, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very comfortable. The beds are great. It's sad to see a good, solid built property being run into the ground. The guest washer and dryer works iffy at best. Loves to take your money but not work correctly. They advertise coffee available 24/7 but it's not. When both issues were brought to their attention their response was indifferent. It's a good place to stay for a short visit. We had planned for 2-3 weeks but left for another property after 4 days.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Fayetteville, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had such a bad experience at this hotel. They gave me a basement room that was Musty, Spider webs all around the ceiling area and it all bothered me. The clerk nicely gave me a room on the main floor, but then there was water damage on the ceiling. I decided I had no choice but to stay there for the night, but will never go back. I did not sleep well with it all on my mind and decided I would not eat there either. It is such an easy access from the interstate so how sad the hotel has not been kept up in much better condition.

Room Tip: Definitely DO NOT be in the downstairs area rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Orange
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This inn does not have an earth moving view but I really like this place! The service has always been great and my room has always surprised me at how nice it has been. The free hot and cold breakfast is ample and in a section of their interior restaurant. The people at the front desk have always treated me excellent which is pretty remarkable compared to the other hotels of any price that I stay at. I am looking forward to my next business trip later in this area. There is an incredible park with a great tared walking roads and paths along the lake side near by. Fantastic Christmas season area!

Room Tip: The one negative is there are truck freezers running in the next business over on one side.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you continue to stay at the Clarion Inn & Suites. We look forward to may more visits!
Geneva, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed over for 1 night. Very clean and nice room but little musty smell but didnt notice after awhile. Nice linens. I would stay again. Easy access from exit 39. Nice restaurant bar and taxi service available.

Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you for future visits.
wny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I have a Corporate lodging card where I get a discount off participating hotels. I called the hotel to make the reservation for 8/30-8/31 told them I was using CLC. The rate was supposed to be $96 with the CLC. I checked into the hotel, gave them my membership card, girl at the desk made a copy of it and handed it back to me. I figure everything was fine, no issues with my overnight stay, I check out and leave. Then find out my credit card was charged FULL price. I call CLC to find out why, they call the hotel and are told "the fair was going on, we dont honor CLC during that time" Ok, fine but WHY was there no black out dates on the CLC site like there is supposed to be as per their contract? WHY wasn't I told when I personally called the hotel, WHY wasn't I told when I handed them my member card at check in? No refund, no apologies from this place either, I won't be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. There are some dates throughout the year that are considered special events, where discounted rates are not available. I apoligize for the confusion with your reservation.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I can honestly say that this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We checked in late - around 1:00am and the whole family was exhausted. There was a dehumidifier in the hallway - right next to our room and the washing machine had towels laying around it. The room was very musty smelling but the kids were already sleeping so we just went to sleep. I tried to open the window before I did and the windows had pastic over them so they wouldn't open. The dresser that the tv was sitting on had 3 broken drawers - with 1 the face was almost completely off. When we woke up in the morning we all felt sick. My son has a very sensitive respiratory system and he was sick and coughing the the rest of our vacation. We only stayed one night in the horrible hotel room but it was enough to make us sick. The musty smell only got worse and when we checked out I asked to speak to a manager. The front desk said she had stepped out and would be back in the afternoon so I left my phone #. The next day after not hearing back I called and the manager said she wasn't even in the previous day and she would call me back. I never heard back from her and I have emailed Clarion customer service and nothing. Do NOT stay at this hotel - it is not worth it. I think I might need to call the health department and report my claims since the hotel is not doing anything about it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vivian F
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 14 September 2013