“disappointing”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
COLUMBIA
“disappointing”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we first went to our room, we found that none of the lamps had light bulbs. We were given a different room,but we were tired and it was late and we weren't in the mood for this. I asked the desk clerk then, and the one the next morning, to reduce my bill for the inconvenience; i was told only a manger could do that but there was none there.

The hot breakfast was cold and greasy.

Other than that... we'll it's convenient to the highway.

Room Tip: ask for one with light bulbs in the lamps
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeffmeyers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Hampstead, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This place is badly in need of remodelling. It looks like it might have been quite the place when it opened 30 or 40 years ago. Not that it matters that much but the decor was very dated and the rooms on the 1st floor had cement walls - just not very appealing.
Finding the hotel using the gps had me drive around a trucking warehouse with poor road and poor lighting, not that the hotel could do anything about that but it got me thinking "what have I gotten myself into"
During check in I asked the clerk about the hours of the onsite restaurant and guess what...He's not sure? How is that even possible? When I say onsite, I mean in they share the lobby for Pete's sake. Does he offer to find out for me...no, he suggests I ask the bartender.
I get a room on the first floor which is down a flight of stairs into a dank hallway. As soon as I enter my room I hear the smoke detector chirp, then that thing chirped once every 30 seconds (bad battery I suspect) so I try to call the desk - busy signal. I carry my bags back to the lobby listening to the chirp as I walk down the hall.
Clerk is not there, has a sign up saying he'll be right back - helping a guest. I wait about 5 minutes and he returns. I explain the situation and he never apologizes, but does give me another room on that hallway.
I then ask him for a complimentary razor to which he replies "We don't have any, they are in the vending machine" for $2.00. That would have been fine, but in the binder in the room, razors are listed under the Complimentary items. Aggravating
My second room was ok. The sheets were clean and mattress comfortable. The bathroom left a lot to be desired. It was very small. I could use the commode, soak my feet in the tub and shave in the sink (if I had a razor). then there was what I guess was a no-slip mat in the tub. It was sketchy at best and I was really wishing I had some flip flops. On top of all that, the door opened INTO the bathroom which as I said was small. Seems like it would have been much better to open into the room where there was ample space.
Almost forgot about the remote control which was not working.
would I stay here again...only as a last resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James P

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Norwich, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights on business. Bed was above average and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean. Room had been updated. No problems with heat. Had dinner there both nights. Food was good. Staff was very helpful. Pleasant and quiet stay-easy to work from.

Room Tip: I stayed on first floor and I do believe bedding and rooms have been updated,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kara P
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We have stayed at this Clarion Inn several times. It is very clean, the staff is extremely friendly, it is pet-friendly and the restaurant & bar are good. Nice area to walk the dogs. We were there for a hunt test and the staff were accommodating for the dogs. Rooms were beautiful.

Room Tip: Easier to be on the first floor if you are traveling with dogs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bubby2six
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Hotwire rated this a 3*, not close to one. Needs some TLC, bathrooms could use some renovations and new bedding wouldn't hurt and the receptionist told us we were in the renovated room, can just imagine what the other rooms looks like. The breakfast is your standard bread and cereal and eggs and pancakes. The restaurant is not that great either could use some variety on the menu but there's nothing around so you're kind of stuck there..

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blacky044
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Had to travel to Syracuse for a couple youth hockey games and picked the Clarion for its location. Both hockey rinks were " off the beaten path" so I wanted a hotel that was in between both, easy access to the Thruway, clean and not too expensive. This fit the bill to a tee. Very easy access from the 90 and less than 10 min drive to Destiny USA mall. There is nothing right near the Clarion but it had a hopping lounge on Sat. and a passable breakfast buffet on Sun. Room was updated, not luscious, but clean and comfortable. Staff was super friendly on both check-in and check-out. For the cost ($73 which included all taxes) it was a great fit! I would stay again if in the area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Buffalo33
New York
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel is nice and clean. Room service was fast. My only complaint is the room keys. Whomever programs them does not know how to set them to expire at checkout. I stayed three nights with a pet. Every day I got locked out of the building. Every early morning I had to walk from the back of the building - past the deserted dimly lit parking lot, to the front lobby to have them reset my keys.
Either a new key system or staff education is in order.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo