“Wonderful deal in an off beat location”

Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Bradenton, Florida
“Wonderful deal in an off beat location”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We picked this hotel because we were moving and needed a place to stay midway between old and new homes. We were pleasantly surprised by an excellent room for a very good price. The room was well equipped except for lighting. There were only three lamps with three 60 watt florescent bulbs, not nearly enough light. But the bed was excellent, the couch was comfortable, the room was roomy, well equipped with fridge and microwave. The WiFi worked flawlessly and didn't require me to log in again every time i restarted the computer (a really annoying trend in many hotels with free WiFi). Breakfast was decent with wheat bread and wheat English muffins some mornings. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We had an excellent meal in Marcella's, the in-hotel restaurant. When I mentioned lighting and a problem with breakfast in a review to the hotel, they responded directly to me and said they would work on fixing both issues --0 very impressive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We (couple and 2 kids) stopped at night on our way to Niagara falls. We wanted to get a decent sleep but the curtain did not cover the window, so the kids woke up too early.

Beside, thevroom was basic with 2 double beds and not queen as we expected.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AviKessel

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

COLUMBIA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we first went to our room, we found that none of the lamps had light bulbs. We were given a different room,but we were tired and it was late and we weren't in the mood for this. I asked the desk clerk then, and the one the next morning, to reduce my bill for the inconvenience; i was told only a manger could do that but there was none there.

The hot breakfast was cold and greasy.

Other than that... we'll it's convenient to the highway.

Room Tip: ask for one with light bulbs in the lamps
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeffmeyers
Hampstead, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This place is badly in need of remodelling. It looks like it might have been quite the place when it opened 30 or 40 years ago. Not that it matters that much but the decor was very dated and the rooms on the 1st floor had cement walls - just not very appealing.
Finding the hotel using the gps had me drive around a trucking warehouse with poor road and poor lighting, not that the hotel could do anything about that but it got me thinking "what have I gotten myself into"
During check in I asked the clerk about the hours of the onsite restaurant and guess what...He's not sure? How is that even possible? When I say onsite, I mean in they share the lobby for Pete's sake. Does he offer to find out for me...no, he suggests I ask the bartender.
I get a room on the first floor which is down a flight of stairs into a dank hallway. As soon as I enter my room I hear the smoke detector chirp, then that thing chirped once every 30 seconds (bad battery I suspect) so I try to call the desk - busy signal. I carry my bags back to the lobby listening to the chirp as I walk down the hall.
Clerk is not there, has a sign up saying he'll be right back - helping a guest. I wait about 5 minutes and he returns. I explain the situation and he never apologizes, but does give me another room on that hallway.
I then ask him for a complimentary razor to which he replies "We don't have any, they are in the vending machine" for $2.00. That would have been fine, but in the binder in the room, razors are listed under the Complimentary items. Aggravating
My second room was ok. The sheets were clean and mattress comfortable. The bathroom left a lot to be desired. It was very small. I could use the commode, soak my feet in the tub and shave in the sink (if I had a razor). then there was what I guess was a no-slip mat in the tub. It was sketchy at best and I was really wishing I had some flip flops. On top of all that, the door opened INTO the bathroom which as I said was small. Seems like it would have been much better to open into the room where there was ample space.
Almost forgot about the remote control which was not working.
would I stay here again...only as a last resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James P
Norwich, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights on business. Bed was above average and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean. Room had been updated. No problems with heat. Had dinner there both nights. Food was good. Staff was very helpful. Pleasant and quiet stay-easy to work from.

Room Tip: I stayed on first floor and I do believe bedding and rooms have been updated,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kara P
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We have stayed at this Clarion Inn several times. It is very clean, the staff is extremely friendly, it is pet-friendly and the restaurant & bar are good. Nice area to walk the dogs. We were there for a hunt test and the staff were accommodating for the dogs. Rooms were beautiful.

Room Tip: Easier to be on the first floor if you are traveling with dogs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bubby2six
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Hotwire rated this a 3*, not close to one. Needs some TLC, bathrooms could use some renovations and new bedding wouldn't hurt and the receptionist told us we were in the renovated room, can just imagine what the other rooms looks like. The breakfast is your standard bread and cereal and eggs and pancakes. The restaurant is not that great either could use some variety on the menu but there's nothing around so you're kind of stuck there..

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple