“Good enough I guess...”
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel

Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Nothing wrong with the property itself. Nice upgraded rooms with great beds and great showers. Excellent service and the Library Lounge and good quality food. Staff at check-in were indifferent to some request we have and left us feel like they just did not care. Room service proved a little bit challenging here... A late night order of wine took over 30 minutes and had staff bring only one wine glass when they were asked for more. The next morning, room service people surprised us again (not in a good way). We were informed that we had to pay extra for milk for our coffees as the only thing they serve is cream. This is the first time I ever had to pay for milk in a coffee. It is a minimal charge (below $3.00) but its just annoying to have to pay for something like this, which comes standard anywhere else. Anyways, hope the Crowne Plaza Syracuse changes its policy of charging customers for milk in their coffees. I guess I could give them another try but its the little things that ruin a first impression.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J9257
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Greetings sens1992,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback and I will definitely bring your concerns about charging for milk to the restaurant manager. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the room with amenities itself. Sorry to hear about your interaction with the front desk staff, I will pass this along to them and work to be better at assisting our guests. Hope to see you in the future!

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I travel a lot and we were both pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and "upscale" feel to the hotel. Service at the front desk was great as well. There were 2 odd things...odd, but not necessarily complaints. 1. We only stayed for a night but still never figured out the unreasonably high tech touch screen to use the elevator (and my boyfriend is a software engineer). 2. Breakfast was included and was delicious, warm and lots of options. So no complaints on that. However, it was the by far the most uncomfortable buffet set up that left all of us diners staring at one another confused as to where to stand, get in line, ect. Even with these two things it was most certainly a place I pulls stay again!!

• Stayed: October 2013
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Greetings flyawaybuffalo,

Thank you for writing a review here on TripAdvisor! Your comments are very much appreciated. Our elevators are tricky at first but after a little while you get the hang of them and are fun. I will talk to the restuarant managers and see if there is a different way we can set up the buffett for future guests. We hope to see you in the future!

Kelly Carey -- Front Office Mananger

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Really outstanding Crowne Plaza - maybe the best I've seen. I was extremely impressed with this property. The front desk staffer that greeted us was bubbly and friendly and more than accommodating. The elevators are interesting - you program your floor prior to entering and it tells you which elevator to go to. There are no numbers once inside. Rooms are small, but very modern and tastefully decorated. Plenty of power outlets everywhere and a cool AV panel underneath the tV to allow you to connect your laptop or tablet to the TV. Channel changes were slow on the television and I couldn't find a channel guide anywhere so it was tough to find the game I was looking for. (boy now i'm digging for something to complain about)

Beds were very comfortable but the best part was the shower which included one of those "rain" showerheads from the ceiling. Very cool and invigorating before a long day.

Would have liked to have been offered a bottle of water or something (i'm Platinum, but didn't book the room myself. Instead gave them my card during check-in) as a Platinum reward, but I understand. Also would be great if they offered a few muffins or juice or something for early morning departures before the restaurant opened. If there was a club lounge or anything I was not made aware.

Be advised that there aren't really any restaurants within quick walking distance of the hotel. I ate at the Library Lounge in the lobby and found the southwest salad to be excellent and a good value. Bar staff was more than friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike W

Greetings Mike W,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review! We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay! I am glad that you enjoyed your food in the Library Lounge, we just updated the menu, good to see it was a good change. I am sorry that you were no informed of the club lounge, for future stays it is located on the 2nd floor for breakfast during the week. The elevators are fun after you get used to them, it is like a game! Our shower heads are pretty relaxing and glad you enjoyed them! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We recently traveled to Syracuse for a foot game and stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. While not as conveniently located on campus as the Sheraton this hotel is close enough to walk up the hill. We got the executive room and the breakfast was well worth it. Our waitress was extremely personable. On the negative side the air conditioner in our room was extremely loud and woke me up twice while coming on.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Stuart L,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We appreciate all feedback and I am sorry to hear that your air kept waking you up during the night. However I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and will let the Chef know that. Please feel free to reach out to me the next time you stay and I will look into the air issue prior to your arrival.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night executive floor. LOL to visit SU. hotel lacks security. Rooms are small but the size of the bathrooms gives new meaning to the word.. try tiny! Room wasn't that clean either. Security for the inside of the room is useless. Old School chain lock, which could easily be pushed in. Asked for more towels & they brought up 2. 4 people were staying in the room and of course need to place towels on the floor because you could tell they didn't vacuum very often. Executive floor gives you breakfast in the am not worth it. Lounge is also located on the 2nd floor and our room was on the 16th. Our 24 hr stay had a landmark, dirty room service dishes a few doors before ours was there longer than we were. Check out clerk acted as if I was troubling him to check out. I thought that I was being considerate & letting him know that we were leaving at 8:30 am so they could clean the room sooner for the next guest. I guess that doesn't matter to them as they don't clean very well anyways. Clerk said : you got your bill under the door right?" Don't choose this hotel after a long drive you won't be able to relax. Paid $175. 00 w/tax so not worth it. Tried to eat dinner in the lounge, food was cold & took 2 hours to get.

Room Tip: if you find one let me know
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Greetings dbfluke,
Thank you for writing a review here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate all feedback. I will definitely have to follow up with all departments to let them know your comments and concerns. I will also speak to the agents at the desk letting them know that we have be more proactive in asking how many towels the guests will need because we do not always know how many guests are in the room and then we don’t know how many towels to bring. I do hope you will give us a second chance and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I don't want a red carpet rolled out for me when I go to hotels, but I do expect certain things. As a young woman traveling alone, at the very least, I expect more than the constant attitude of you being positively bothered by my presence. No one greeted me, in fact, two employees watched me wrestle my bags out of my car and drag them inside. I waited at the counter for 7 minutes, alone, with three employees actively ignoring me. If this happened at a restaurant, I would leave. Finally had to flag someone down to check me in (so sorry for the inconvenience- one more sigh and I may have screamed), got upstairs, room was nice, very oddly shaped, but expected due to the building shape. As far as the "executive floor" goes, it was pretty ho-hum. Elevators are loud, but I sleep with earplugs so no problem. Beds were terribly lumpy and very springy, making me wonder just how old they were. When it was time to check out, I did so very early, but once again, a different employee regarded me as if I were a pest, not a guest. Everyone was so far up their own behinds it was as if they were too busy or too important to do their jobs! If you don't mind being treated poorly, and just need a (lumpy) bed for the night, it's OK, but as for me, my next trip out will be to a much friendlier place, where hopefully the staff is less concerned with their smoke breaks and cell phones and more concerned with paying guests. Overall it was a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: I was on the 18th floor, didn't hear noise from the outside, but it seems that no matter where y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Greetings JustBlah,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review, I am sorry to hear that our service did meet up to your standards or to Crowne Plaza standards. We do appreciate all feedback and this will make us better at our jobs. I will definitely follow up with all associates who worked this week. I do hope you give us another try and feel free to reach to out to me prior to arrival and we can check out that bed of yours to make sure it is nice and comfy.

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I was worried when we pulled up to this 1970's era circular hotel that looked pretty beat up. But inside it was a modern comfortable clean hotel Rooms are reasonable size; bathrooms a little small with shower stalls that are tub size (they replaced the tub with a big shower with a rain downpour style shower head).

Comfortable beds; big flat screen tv. We were on a high floor so street noise was not a problem. Parking is $9.

Stayed: October 2013

Hello familyinnh,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy to hear that the noise didnt bother you while you were with us. Hope to see you soon!

Kelly Care -- Front Office Manager