“Nice hotel”
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel

Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for work, it was a pretty nice hotel. The rooms are fairly updated and modern, new carpet, awesome beds, and a modern bathroom. The hotel is located right next to a highway, so even on the 12th floor you can hear traffic. But it wasn't a huge deal when you keep the fan running all the time. The rooms do seem like they could use a thorough cleaning and maintenance refresh. Wallpaper peeling around the corners, dirty grout around the shower, stains on the ceiling. Very minor stuff, but some people would be really out off by it.

The restaurant was quite good for lunch (prosciutto avocado brie and arugula on a ciabatta roll, was amazing), breakfast was pretty basic though. I wouldn't pay for it.

The area is good too, lots of restaurants in walking distance (a fair amount of road construction though), and the main areas of the hotel look very nice.

Room Tip: Request a high floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Kelly C, Front Office Management at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Greetings
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Syracuse as well as your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal in Redfield's during your stay. I will get in touch with my Engineering and Housekeeping staff to refresh and touch up the items you pointed out. Thank you again for your feedback and hope to see you soon.
~ Front Office Management

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I don't like to write negative reviews as each place I stay or eat at are rated against my standards. That said, I did expect a bit more from the previous reviews about this hotel. On the positive side - the staff in the restaurant and lounge are happy and friendly. Can't say as much for front desk or housekeeping. Rooms are good size - no complaints. Housekeeping, nearly non-existent. This place is old and tired - you know the smell. Not expecting 5 star, but you have to be proud of what you have and your job. I will always give a higher rating to a hotel that is in need of a lift when the team running the place makes you feel at home. Didn't happen.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AMERinLON
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Greetings AMERinLON,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! We appreciate all feedback, it makes us a better hotel. i am happy to hear that the lounge and Redfield's staff we were, I'm sorry to hear about the desk as well as housekeeping. I will make sure I pass that along to housekeeping and I will speak to the desk staff. I do hope you come back and visit!
Kelly -- Front Office Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Upon arriving in the airport (in the evening) the shuttle was on it's way at least that's what's been told. After nearly one hour the shuttle finally showed up.

Th front desk service was OK (normal) but there isn't a lot to do in Syracruse thus the options are limited. The hotel shuttle will bring you anywhere in a 3 mile radius.

Surprisingly the executive floor lounge is closed during the weekend. The bed was good but the high way just adjacent of the hotel generates a lot of noise. Also people walking in the hall way can be heard very well.

Wifi worked well.

Breakfast downstairs is below Crowne Plaza standard. Orange juice is available but you have to ask for. I couldn't find a selection of meat and cheese. Coffee was nearly a European coffee (on the stronger side which is fine for me)

Over all this Crowne Plaza performs under or maybe just at "average Crowne Plaza level"

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Greetings AdB43,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate all types, it makes us a better hotel. I will be sure to make sure the staff explains the lounge better so that there is not confusion. As well as if we say the shuttle is on their way, we send it then and if there is a delay we are calling the guests, I am sorry that we did not do so. I do hope we see you in the future.
Kelly -- Front Office Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Last may 2014 i was traveling with my family to Niagara Falls and on the way we stayed at crowne plaza Syracuse .,the hotel is clean the food very good and staff it's very friendly . The town it's ok
We stayed there for two days and we had a very good time.

Stayed: May 2014
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Greetings Elviajero76,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Syracuse during your travels, as well as your review! Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay as well as the area. We look forward to you spending more time with us!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a nice hotel located close to central Syracuse with plenty of off street car parking at the back of the hotel.
One side of the hotel is next to an expressway so when you book ask to be placed on the quiet side of the hotel away from the expressway.
The lifts are also a bit funky where you press the button and it will direct you to which lift and then you don't press what floor you need to go to.

Room Tip: I think room numbers between 6 - 12 on each floor would be good rooms away form the expressway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Greetings Paul R,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you coming back soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lets start by saying I stay in hotels about 5-10 days a month for work. I rarely encounter issues and if I do I can see past them or fix them myself. I went back through my reviews I have done over time on Trip Advisor and this will be my first 1 star review. Lets start with check in. I arrived late and upon entering the lobby it took the person checking me in about 3 minutes to finish her conversation with a coworker. It took longer than usual for check in. I asked how to get onto the interstate to go to the fairgrounds and the response was she didn't know. The next morning I was able to easily see how to from my room window so I doubt she didn't know, she just didn't want to have to explain it to me. Moving on I get up to my room that night and the floor next to the bed has change on it and you could tell the room had not been vacuumed. I can live with that so I take a shower, get ready for bed and pull the sheets back to discover them matted to the mattress, several long hairs, eyelashes and crumbs. Housekeeping had made the bed but not changed the sheets. I called the front desk dreading having to speak to the women that checked me in and ask for a manager. None on duty (during my stay I requested to talk to manager 3 additional times and every time one was not there or they took my phone number to have them call me which I was never called). I tell her my sheets are dirty and she says housekeeping is gone. Eventually she sends a gentleman up with a key to a handicap room on the same floor. He looks at the sheets and apologizes and says that housekeeping tried to pull a "fast one". He was the only person I encountered working that was friendly. I am informed I will have to switch rooms the next day out of the handicap room. The sheets were clean in the new room but the floor was so dirty. Maybe the vacuum broke and they only have 1 to share between 19 floors, idk? So my new room sits parallel to the interstate. So I received very little sleep because it was so noisy. The next morning I go down and ask when I switch rooms if I can have one away from the interstate and the girl behind the front desk has no idea about my "necessary" room switch. I tell her the story and she says she is going to have housekeeping clean one for me right away and takes my cell phone number to give me a call when its finished. She never calls me. You have to pick and choose your battles in life and clearly this was a losing battle so I stayed in the room and listened to the darn interstate from Wednesday night - Monday morning. I put the do not disturb sign on my door so housekeeping wouldn't come in. In my opinion if someone doesn't have the respect and decency to change dirty sheets in between guest they don't have respect for your property either and I didn't want to deal with a police report for stolen items. Almost every person I encountered working here was not friendly. Regardless I will never visit this hotel again, even if it's the Syracuse Nationals recommended hotel. I would really have a tough time staying at a Crowne Plaza anywhere else. I rely heavily on Trip Advisor reviews when making decisions about where to stay and eat and I thought I would be safe here given it has somewhat decent reviews. On a positive note the hotel was nicely updated but the dirty sheets were just unacceptable and unsanitary. I'm sure if shortcuts are taken with changing sheets on the only bed in the room they are taken everywhere else on the grounds from food prep in their restaurant to the cleaning. My guess is that it's the reality of the top people not caring trickling down through the entire culture of the workplace. Trust me there are better places to stay. I would have switched hotels but with the car show and some Irish festival going on there was nothing else for options.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel. Seriously.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank hest0405
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Greetings hest0405,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback, it makes us a better hotel. I am terribly sorry to hear that we failed you during your entire stay. Please know that I will make sure I follow up with my staff to make sure we are relaying messages to each other about guests if they need to move or if we need to follow up with them as well as making sure a manager or supervisor is aware of any concerns. I will be passing your comments along to our housekeeping manager as well, because that is not acceptable that the sheets aren’t changed. I do hope you try and give us another chance if not at regional’s some other time during the year.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel en-route to our return home to Toronto. The hotel seems to be renovated, however, I believe that the renovations occurred a few years back because it is starting to show some scars. We were on a room on the 19th floor and you could see scuffs on the furniture and marks in the bathroom.

The bed was comfortable, however, the hotel was a bit noisy. This may have been due to the highway right outside of the hotel or our proximity to the elevator.

The rainfall shower in the bathroom was a nice touch.

Wifi was free, however, very unreliable. Parking was $9/night.

I would stay here again if I got a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings netgeek,
Thank you for staying with us as well as your review. Our showers here are pretty cool; it is a great feature of the bathroom! I will be sure to pass along to our housekeeping staff to make sure they are looking at the condition of the furniture to make sure we keep it refreshed. Hope to see you again during your travels.
Kelly—Front Office Manager