“Excellent hotel; need to work on food”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Leesburg, Virginia
“Excellent hotel; need to work on food”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I just finished a one-week stay at the Sheraton and was impressed by the professionalism of the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. Most facilities were excellent with the exception of the locker area for the indoor pool--it was dirty, cramped and needs a makeover. Rooms were clean, lobby area and business center are excellent and workout room is good but not great. Only real gripe is the food is overpriced and mediocre--you are probably better off eating in town or at any of the campus eateries for the price you'll pay in Rachel's or if your outfit uses the catering service. All that said, if you're doing business at the University, you can't beat it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Buffy1958,

Thank you for your recent feedback on the Sheraton Syracuse. We're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I will share your comments with our Culinary Team so that we can take corrective action. We appreciate the valuable feedback and we hope to see you again at the Sheraton Syracuse!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I had called before arriving to make sure that I had a late checkout and refrigerator ensuite, as I am a professional speaker with a heart condition and have special dietary needs and also must lie down during lunch on the days I am speaking. Anne (Annie?) took my requests over the telephone and entered them into my reservation.

Upon arriving, lo! and behold! Anne was at the front desk. Everything requested was provided....well...except for the housekeeping folks not honoring my late checkout. I actually walked right by the housekeeping staff and thanked them for the late checkout as I entered my sleeping room around noon; however, the housekeeping supervisor knocked on my room. Guess he didn't get the memo.

The bed was comfortable, the room quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hello LMHC1RPH2,

Thank you the great feedback on the Sheraton Syracuse. We truly appreciate the great comments on the hotel and our staff. With regards to Annie, she is one of our superstars and she recently was promoted to Guest Services Supervisor. Thank you once again for the kind words and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Gil Reyes, CRDE
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel while in town to visit Syracuse University. The hotel is on the Syracuse campus which makes it extremely convenient for a campus visit.
We stayed on the 9th floor club level. The club level with breakfast and coffee each morning was a nice perk, but I'm not sure it was really worth the extra cost, especially since there is a Starbucks right across the street.
The view out our window was without a doubt the best view I've ever had in a hotel room. The window faced "the hill" with all the gorgeous buildings including Crouse College. The furnishings in the room were new and comfortable. The staff was very friendly.
There was one issue that was almost a deal killer for us. The day we checked in the entire hotel smelled like fried food. It was Easter Sunday and they were having an Easter Brunch in the hotel. I don't know if it was because of the brunch or if there was a problem with the ventilation system in the kitchen, but the smell was oppressive and nauseating. We decided to stick it out for the night, with the idea of changing hotels if it was still a problem the next morning. Luckily the smell was gone the next day and did not return during our stay.
I understand that during big campus events like "move in week" or "parents weekend" availability is a big issue, so much so that they work off a lottery system for parents weekend.
This hotel is hard to beat for comfort and convenience so we will definitely stay again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Hello Katherine B,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. I agree with you that our club floor has amazing views of the Syracuse campus and our location is ideal when visiting the University. As for your comments with regards to the food aroma in the lobby, we are in the final stages of rectifying this issue thru a capital improvement plan. We appreciate the positive and constructive comments and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Dubai
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I went to the hotel in June 2011 for an SU related course. The rooms were excellent, very clean and comfortable. Staff were OK, not anywhere near as friendly as staff I have dealt with in Europe or Middle East - maybe its US customer service - was my first trip to US.
Breakfast was decent, but the buffet changed very little over the week I spent there - that said I did easily eat my fill. Conference facilities were decent, as was Wi-Fi access. The hotel bar was reasonably priced, and comfortable.
Location for SU was very good, and was a relatively short bus/taxi ride to Armoury Square for a night out. All in all, it's a decent hotel, that could do with staff being trained being trained to be more welcoming.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Greetings Andrew_Nolan!

We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback on the Sheraton Syracuse. I've also shared your comments with our Director of Service Culture so that we can use your comments to improve on our services. I would like to mention that our hotel is consistently ranked in the top ten percent within the Sheraton brand on guest service. We're very passionate about delivering memorable service at the Sheraton Syracuse and we hope that we can provide a better experience when your travels brings you back to Central NY. Thank you once again for the valuable feedback!

Cheers!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I visited my son who is a student at SU. The convenience factor can't be beat but clearly management uses that to their advantage. When I checked in, I was advised that parking was an extra $13 per night. I was surprised since the room rate was relatively high at over $175 for the night. The next morning I went to the lobby to have a cup of coffee and was told there is a $2 charge per cup! I reluctantly paid the $2 but really???? When my son joined me for breakfast (I paid a higher rate for the inclusion of breakfast), we were told that the breakfast was closing early because there was an Easter brunch upstairs and they were very busy. Only after I complained that I had checked twice about the time that the breakfast closes were we allowed into the breakfast room but they said we had to be finished in 10 minutes. I chose this hotel for the convenience thinking that would be worth the $50 or so dollars I might save by staying in one of the many hotels in the area. Not sure if I will make that same decision again. On the plus side, I will say that the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Hello mgbrook,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. We appreciate the valuable feedback that you have provided us and I have shared your comments with our team so that we can take corrective action. As for your comments on parking, our hotel is located on the campus of Syracuse University which makes parking very limited. Although we do state that we do charge for parking on our website and on the electronic confirmation email that guest receive when they book a room; I do apologize that you you were not aware of the fee. Needless to say, I'm sorry that we failed your expectations and please do not hesistate to contact me if you are ever in the Syracuse area again. I will make sure that you have a wonderful stay with us!

New jersey
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great location, steps to the University. Clean, comfortable room. Nice concierge room. Worth it.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear ScottgNJ,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton Syracuse. We appreciate the great feedback and we're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and our newly rejuvenated club lounge has been a big hit with our guests! Thank you once again for the great comments and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 April 2012

When visiting Syracuse University, this is hands down the most convenient hotel location-wise. It's tough to get a reservation though, at peak times, like "Family Weekend.". At that time, they reserve rooms through a lottery system only and they begin taking names a full year in advance! If you are lucky enough to stay here though, you will enjoy the convenience and location. Situated at the foot of the campus, you can park your car for your stay and never take it out if you're not venturing off campus or past Marshall Street and the surrounding area. The hotel itself is very nice. For a small price more, we stayed in a "club room" on the 9th floor. We had a gorgeous view of the campus grounds from our room! Room was spacious with 2 queen beds, TV, refrigerator, and desk. Nice and clean and the bed was made with updated white down-like comforters and sheets and 4-5 fluffy pillows! Bafhroom was clean too and shower was nice and hot! The hotel even allowed us to bring along our small dog at no extra fee which was really nice. They even provide a pet bed if you need one! The staff is friendly and happy to be of service. On one of the days during our stay, the club room was closed because it was a holiday (Easter), so the front desk person gave us a voucher for breakfast for our entire party to make up for it. We never got to breakfast the next day, though, because we had reservations for the Easter brunch, so the food and catering manager extended it to brunch for everyone in our party - a very generous accomodation! The brunch was festive and had many dishes to choose from. Ice sculptures, floral centerpieces, dyed hard boiled eggs, and seasonal specialities along with the usual breakfast and dinner items, salads, & desserts made this a great way to enjoy a special occassion with our family. The only drawback to our stay was that the pool was closed (they had an emergency the day before and it needed professional cleaning) so they shut it down. AND, the room was very noisy, especially in the morning when we were trying to sleep in. We heard loud voices and noise as if it were in the room with us. We were situated near the elevator but there was no excuse for the noise level in our room - loud enough to keep us up when we were trying to sleep - and very frustrating!

Room Tip: Spring for the "Club Room". It's worth it. Ask for a room away from elevators, ice ma...