“Super convenient to downtown with a great staff”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Lindenhurst, New York
“Super convenient to downtown with a great staff”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were here to visit family for 2 short nights and they were excellent! The room is very nice (a little dark) but very nicely appointed with a super comfortable bed. All the staff we came into contact with was great from our very late check in to our check out. Breakfast buffet was delicious each morning and the drinks at restaurant were great. The best part about Sitrus was John the bartender, so friendly and a pleasure to talk to! Overall an excellent stay and when I am in the area in a couple weeks visiting I will be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Julie M, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Rfrancis11:

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts with us regarding your recent visit. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the coming weeks!

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As an alumni of Syracuse, the university hotel is so convenient when attending campus events. Staff was really nice, hotel is superb when it comes to service and cleanliness. Bar had excellent drinks!!

Room Tip: Campus view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hello Dom W,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. Happy to hear that you find convenience with our location, we love being on the center of the campus, in walking distance of the restaurants, shopping and academic buildings. Great to hear that you found the service of the staff superb, and that you were able to stop in Sitrus and enjoy a drink.

Once again thank you, and we do hope to see you again.

Guest Services.
southport ct
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stay here about a dozen times a year ... and have never had a complaint. It is literally on the campus, so it is perfect if you have a reason to visit the campus or the Carrier Dome. Staff is wonderfully friendly and accommodating ... especially Jane who is a manager at the front desk.

Room Tip: Club level (9th floor) includes "happy hour" cocktail lounge and free breakfast. I stay...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear joyce h,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We appreciate all of the feedback we receive from our guests but especially from our frquent guests.

Yes - Jane is fantastic and I will certainly share your comments with her.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,
Maryville, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband was in town for a final presentation for graduate school. I tagged along for a mini vacation. I can't say anything for reasonable pricing since we are not paying. The rooms are clean, and I like that the bedding is washable. It definitely allows you to get cozy. The shower pressure is a bit lacking, but the room is well decorated. It doesn't stand out a great deal. The lobby is nice. What I really enjoyed is the flowers in the lobby. They are bright and cheerful. The staff is what really made this stay marvelous. I had breakfast in the restaurant, and I felt doted on. I was encouraged to relax and enjoy myself, taking my time. All the employees are friendly and helpful. A nice place that is convenient to everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear meninadefada,

I am glad that you had the opportunity to visit with us! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay! I was glad to hear about the treatment you received from our staff members. They are true professionals and I love hearing about the connection that they make!

I hope that your travels bring you back to Syracuse at some point in the future. We would relish the opportunity to welcome you back!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I attended a two-week course arranged by Syracuse University, so the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel was the logical place to stay. In fact, I had no choice since the course managers booked me into the hotel and the cost of my stay was built into the course tuition. The hotel was quite convenient to the classroom where the course took place. I also can’t comment on the normal hotel breakfast, since the course managers also arranged a special breakfast for course participants on the second floor. I thought the fitness center, which had several treadmills and stationary bicycles, was quite good so that I didn’t have to go to the campus fitness center, for which I had received a special pass. I had three issues with the hotel, however, one of which means I would never return to the hotel if I were ever to return to Syracuse.

The first minor issue is that the rooms are quite dark. I stayed in an eighth floor room, which I assume is a better quality room. The notice in the room advised that the rack rate for the room, maximum, is $649 for a two-queen club room. My room did indeed have two queen beds, so I assume this is the applicable rate. The room, however, does not have any wall lamps, just a ceiling light for the foyer, two desk lamps, and a floor lamp. Since the room is decorated primarily in dark brown (dark brown carpeting, dark tan wal paper, and dark brown furniture and headboards), the room had rather inadequate lighting and, worse, no master switch for the lights so that I had to turn on all three lamps in the room to get adequate lighting.

Second, the shower head has no water pressure. The shower head is an old-fashioned type that allows the water to flow without any pressure other than the natural flow.

What really griped me, however, was that the elevators were shut down for fifteen minutes for a “safety check” during one day of my stay. First of all, this was done in the morning, when people are most likely to be on a scheduler requiring them to be someplace by a certain time, rather than at a time like 1:00 p.m., after people have checked out in the morning and before new arrivals were likely to check in. Second, the hotel’s management didn’t bother to inform guests so that we could plan around the outage. Third, I had to walk down the stairs, but the doors to any floors other than the outside entrance were kept locked, so I had to walk outside the hotel in my short-sleeved shirt to get to breakfast. The hotel’s management did not bother to unlock the doors during the period of the safety check or station personnel in the stairs to allow them to descend to other floors of the hotel. I had to wait in the breakfast room, unable to return to my room, until the elevators were reactivated.

I am certainly not returning to a hotel that has management so bone-headed and incompetent that they could not have taken such obvious and simple steps.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Mike U:
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. I hope you enjoyed the class that you attended as well as the city and the University.
As you mentioned, we are coming to a close on the completion of a six month upgrade of the mechanical systems running our guest elevators. The challenge we faced was completing this project efficiently while continuing to operate the hotel.
Our mission the last several months was getting work done without imposing on the comfort and convenience of our guests while also ensuring the safety and security of all. It was difficult and some days we were successful while other days we clearly weren’t. But we did set out to work together with an outside vendor and manage the process to the best of our abilities.
As you read through online comments you will notice our elevator service mentioned a number of times. My hope is that once the project is completed readers would pay more attention to the comments about our considerate and efficient staff as well as some of the more personalized connections these individuals have made. I am hopeful that guests will appreciate the investment in the mechanical equipment and that some of the service delays will not seem so bad.
Having said that, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I understand that your time is valuable and I take full responsibility for the lack of communication and coordination. No we should never have planned any outage during a time frame when it was obvious guests would be moving around the building. In addition, yes we should have taken steps to ensure guests had alternate means to get around the building should this be necessary. The morning outage that you described was not planned or authorized by hotel staff and we have taken this up with the vendor completing the work. This is our building and we never intended to create the situation you describe. All I can say is that I am sorry this happened.
If you are ever visiting Syracuse in the future I would hope that you would reconsider – we would love to welcome you back to the area.

Julie Martin, Director of Hotel Operations
san diego
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our third visit. Stayed six nights. We came in on a red eye from San Diego about 10am and the front desk gal offered to get us into our room "now". We didn't even ask! Hotel offers free airport pick up and drop off service which was very convenient. The hotel shuttle will also take you anywhere in town and pick you up for know additional fees.( we gave a nice tip to the driver.) They have a nice lobby area that we used daily just to get out of the room especially on the rainy day. It was like an extension of your room. Restaurant breakfast off the menu is great, buffet is ok. Dinner is ok ad very pricey. We found it had a variety of entrees, but could use a bit more refinement. Example- Mushroom Ravioli delish, but I had to push aside the 2 Tablespoons of whole pepper corns. When asking the waitress about "local wines from the finger lakes region" she recommended a wine from California. The bar has live music we enjoyed and a bar menu that you can order off of in the main Restaurant too! my teens liked that. This is also a pet friendly hotel and they do not charge any additional fees for pets. There is a nice indoor swimming pool towels pool side. A nice work out room. Parking is $13/day and a couple of washers and dryers on the third floor. The college owes this hotel FYI. Located on Campus. We will continue to stay here when we visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face " The Park" are a bit noisy even on the 7th floor. Frats/ Sororities are l...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marleymar
SyracuseHotelMgr, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello Marleymar,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. First off thank you for your continued loyalty to our property, we truly do appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy and utilize the outlets in our hotel and amenities in which we offer. From the shuttle, to the restaurant and bar, the pool and even being able to bring your pet with you!

Once again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Guest services.
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My son and I were visiting Syracuse University so the location was incredibly convenient. We were able to just walk to everything that we wanted to see. Our room was nicely appointed and the beds were extremely comfortable. Having free wifi was a great touch. The weather was pretty awful and cold so the hotel was a nice haven to hide from the elements.

The parking garage is attached to the hotel and the fee is $13/day with in and out privileges.

I would recommend this hotel to those visiting Syracuse

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello CuriousTraveler6,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found convenience in our location. We love being situated on the campus of Syracuse, with the campus eateries and shopping steps from our hotel. We're also glad to hear that you found the beds to be comfortable. The beds are our Sheraton sweet sleeper, and they are one of our key brand elements!

We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Syracuse. Once again thank you.

Sincerely