“Either a little dated or poor choice of decor!”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I always like to add a disclaimer to my reviews because I'm extremely picky and what most might be acceptable to most people usually isn't for me. So when it comes to this property I think it's just okay, I can't decide if the decor is dated or just not in good taste. On the surface the room looks cleanish. A bit of dust here and there (nothing major) and it essentially just looks like the cleaning crew doesn't scrub the corners. We paid $200 a night (on the club floor) last minute and it's 4th of July. An added bonus was we could see multiple fireworks displays from our room. Kids loved it! The hotel is about a 5 min drive from destiny NY shopping mall and from what we could see (didn't look that hard though) we couldn't find better accommodations any closer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mom2philip
Julie M, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear mom2philip,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay in Syracuse. I am pleased to let you know that we will be undergoing a lobby renovation this winter and we are hopeful that the change in lobby décor will brighten up the hotel. We do hear from our guests about the color scheme of the rooms - the brown and the beiges can be drab and dark. We will certainly keep that in mind when we make our next renovation selections. I am glad that you enjoyed the view of the fireworks! It had to have been a fantastic view!

Again -
Thanks for writing,
Julie Martin, Director of Operations

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I want to rate the Sheraton Syracuse University because I was guided to stay at this hotel by previous recommendations on this travel advisory sight. It was not as described by previous reviewers, however. The hotel itself is nothing to write home about. It is old, dark, and in need of renovation. The location is great with it being right on Syracuse University’s campus and if you receive a room on the side with the view, it is nice. However, we thought we were doing something special by getting the club level. The hours that the club is open means you’d better get there at the beginning, or you might miss out on the servings. Once the food is out, it is out. We asked for additional fruit for our children, and the young lady said “that’s it”. It was the same comment from the gentleman last night who was hosting the club lounge. I have never experienced anything like that before. Also be very careful-one of the bottles of water that are in the room costs $3.50. The other ones are free-so beware not to grab the wrong one! This was also a surprise on our bill. On a positive note, the front office staff was very courteous and kind, of special mention is Jane (Jan). Adrian our bellman was also quite helpful as were Pete and Dave. I'd have to say that the staff downstairs outdid the hotel itself. Hope this helps in your choice of places to stay in Syracuse.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank kathrine j

Dear Katherine j,

I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologize for the experience you had in the Club Lounge. I am shocked that requests for more food or snacks were not honored. I have since addressed the with our food & beverage team. I am hopeful that associates will quickly honor requests in the future.

Thank you again for letting me know about your experience. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Warm Regards,
Julie Martin, Director of Operations

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza and the Sheraton which are close to each other. I would pick the Sheraton over the Crowne after staying at both. The Sheraton seems to be a bit newer and a very well maintained property. Parking is done via an attached parking garage ($13 a night), has a nice business center with four computers, a coffee shop, a nice tv type lounge, an attached restaurant and a bar. From the minute I walked in, I was impressed with how well the property was maintained inside. The hotel is also very easy to reach from the highway, just blocks off the road.

The hotel is dead center of Syracuse University and right next to the medical center. It is also an easy walk to the Dome for concerts or games. At best 3-4 blocks. In fact, I was on the 7th floor and could look out the window right at the Dome and campus buildings. Very beautiful. If you are here for a campus visit, it would also be very convenient.

Food wise, the food at the hotel is nothing special, not great, not bad, typical bit overpriced hotel food. The club breakfast was decent, plenty of fresh fruit, coffee, eggs, toast, bagels, juices, etc. The gentleman working there was also very friendly and good company over breakfast. He is a long time resident and is full of good information. The staff are all friendly, cleaning crew is very good at what they do, room was made up before 12:30, all restocked, plenty of towels (4 full sized, 4 hand, 4 wash clothes) and extra soaps, etc. Also, as a nice touch, they provide extra coffee packs and creamers in the room and use Starbucks coffee.

The room I was in was very big for a hotel, two chairs with stools, a full sized work desk, oversized dresser, large screen tv, couple of end tables and king sized bed. Plenty of lights and electrical plugs. A nice touch are the plugs right in the night stand to charge electronics. Also nice was the light blocking drapes that fully close over the windows. It was 630 a.m. and I had no idea as it was that dark in the room. Room was a little aged but in very good shape and well decorated. No mold smells, no stains. Bed was pretty comfortable for a hotel as were the pillows. Also, plenty of closet space with extra hangars which is always nice. One thing the cleaning staff showed me as a nice tip was the shelf in the closet is set up like a pants hangar if you have two people traveling and staying long term. There is a one inch space between each row on the racks where the pants slide right in like a pants hangar preventing wrinkles or hangar marks.

Bathroom is pretty big, plenty of amenities. Very clean. One issue was water pressure. It's not minimal like some complained of, but at same time not too powerful. Also, tub was a slow drainer which is annoying.

Walls were pretty thick, no outside noise heard or next door noise which was nice.

Food wise, there is a couple of restaurants within a block or two which service the college community. There is also a Starbucks across the street to avoid the $20 breakfast charge. If you are here long term, you may want to consider going to Wegman's Grocery for food, as they have plenty of premade items you can bring back. My room also had a mini fridge and a microwave which was a nice bonus.

One huge perk of this hotel is the quality of the onsite gym. Three treadmills (modern machines in good condition), two elliptical machines, three bikes, free weights and machine weights. There were also plenty of Pilates and Yoga items. No reason you can't get a nice work out here. There is also an indoor pool but it is not a lap pool. One issue I didn't like is the work out room is on one end of the hotel and you have to walk through the lobby to get to the hotels after getting all sweaty.

I would come here again and will be staying here if I can get a reservation in July. That is one of the issues, this place is first to fill up. I also would bring kids here to stay, as across the street toward the Dome is a pretty big green space they could run around, tour campus, also an ice cream shop across from the parking lot. If you are working downtown, you are about 1.5 miles from the downtown area, quick drive.

Room Tip: I was in room 701 which was the very end of the hall and looked out over the campus. Was nice for v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello jmoonesq,

Thank you for taking the time you review your stay with us. Great to hear that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, and found convenience in our hotels location. As you said we are directly on the main campus, and love being steps away from the campus eateries and shopping. In regards to the hotel, we are pleased to read that you were able to utilize our Fitness center by Core fitness, and our business center the Link. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your room as well, and enjoyed the campus view, that is our ocean view here in Syracuse!
In regards to the water pressure in the room and the dining outlets within the hotel, we do apologize for these not meeting your standards. We have shared your comments with our associates and appreciate your review.

Once again thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Guest Services.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on my way home from driving my daughter to NYC, who was moving there for a new job. I chose this hotel as it is right on SU's campus and I am an alumni who hasn't stayed in Syracuse since I graduated in 1976. I was driving a rented cargo van and it was too high to fit in their parking garage but the shuttle driver who was sitting in his van told me to park it right in front of the hotel sign, right in front of the hotel. Very nice of him. Checking in and out was great and I was given a very nice end room with free WiFi (unlike the Sheraton in Parsippany NJ which wanted $10 from me but didn't get it). I checked into the hotel at about 8:30 in the evening and went downstairs for dinner. The dining room was closed so I went into the bar and the bar tender told me I could order anything from the restaurant menu. I ordered a pasta dish and asked him to put on the hockey game. He had no idea what channel it was on so I had to look it up on the Internet and tell him. The pasta dish was quite poor but I was hungry and it was late so I ate it anyways. The bed was extremely comfortable so sleeping was good. The water pressure in the morning for the shower could have been better.Breakfast in the morning was okay. Nice place to stay but I would go elsewhere for dinner next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello SlickToronto,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. Welcome back to Syracuse, were always happy to welcome alumni back. Happy to hear that you were able to utilize our complimentary wireless during your stay and that you found the bedding to be comfortable. The bed is our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper which is a brand standard for all Sheraton's so were happy to hear you got a good night sleep. In regards to your meal, we do apologize that you did not enjoy your dinner, and we have shared your comments with our food and beverage manager.

Once again thank you, and we do hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the Syracuse area.

Guest Services

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here for a conference at the university and was really impressed by the quality of the room, service (great free shuttle service to and from the airport), and location - in the centre of the university. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hello OxfordDom,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found convenience in our location. We love being centered directly on the university, with all of the restaurants and shopping across the street from us. Happy to hear that you were also able to utilize our shuttle service, and that you enjoyed your room as well.

Once again thank you, and we do hope to see you again.

Guest Services.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've "staycationed" at this hotel twice now, both times with excellent customer service from everyone we encountered, most especially the shuttle drivers. They have been very personable and welcoming, taking us to and picking us up from various points around Syracuse so we could leave our car garaged at the hotel and be able to enjoy "beverages" while out and about. And, the shuttle service is FREE - an excellent enhancement to our guest services experience. We've never lacked for sharing rides with some colorful characters, either, another fun bonus to using the hotel shuttle. Also, in both our stays, every one of the staff persons we've encountered at the front desk have been super friendly and fun to talk to. And, if we could, we'd steal the comfy chairs with tuck-in foot stools from our room - we love them. We also appreciate the easy to reach and plentiful power outlets in the rooms (several built into the front of the desk and on the sides of the nightstands). We've loved our stays and look forward to more. Unfortunately, we can't speak to the dining or bar experience at the hotel, or the pool experience, as we haven't yet tried them (having too much fun out on the town).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Signal50,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We are so happy to hear that this is your second stay with us, and that you enjoyed yourself. Great to hear that the staff in which you have encountered throughout your stays, have made an impression on you and hopefully allowed you to feel at home while staying with us. We are also happy to hear that you are able to utilize our shuttle service and hit the town!

Once again thank you, and we hope to see you again.

Guest Services

Reviewed 29 May 2014

As a regular guest of the Sheraton chain of hotels, my experience at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Centre was a little below the high standard I've come to expect.
On the postive side, the front desk staff were friendly and efficient at check in / check out, with offers of assistance for baggage, parking, etc. and my SPG loyalty program number and amenity promptly affirmed. The Core Fitness facility was on the small side, yet still outfitted with the standard gym equipment that I have become accustomed to using when I am travelling. The room was modern, clean and tidy and the Sweet Sleeper bed as comfortable as always. We loved our view of the university campus and the historic buildings on top of the hill.
Now for the negatives - the shower had little pressure and hot water took longer to get to the spout than I would have thought. The club lounge was a sub par in terms of amenities; e.g. the printer was not functioning and no morning newspapers were available on the second day until quite late (~ 9 am). Also, the breakfast food choices were limited / bland compared to other Sheraton's of similar size and the hostess not particularly friendly. The Sitrus lounge was virtually empty the night we dropped by for a drink; despite this the multiple TVs were blaring and A/C blasting; perhaps it was the Memoral Day timing, but the ambience was not comfortable and we didn't stay long.
On balance, our stay was satisfactory.

Room Tip: The higher the better; ask to overlook the historic buildings
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Julie M, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Danny B,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center. I very much value the feedback we get from our guests and I appreciate your feedback - especially given the fact that you are a loyal Starwood guest. I am sorry to learn that the shower was not working properly in your room. There is certainly enough city water pressure to take a comfortable shower. So it sounds like ther may have been problem with the plumbing equipment (shower head, diverter?). I will bring this to the attention of our Chief Engineer. I am sorry to learn of that.

I appreciate your critique of the Club Lounge offerings as well. The Club Lounge is one of the core elements of Sheraton and it is important that this standard be consistent throughout the brand. I am surprised that you found it below standard but I will share your comments our food and beverage team. Also there is no excuse for disinterested staff and I will follow up on that.

Again I thank you for you for taking the time to share with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Syracuse in the near future.

Julie Martin