“Very Nice Stay, Great View...”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Albany, NY
“Very Nice Stay, Great View...”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton University due to a training session my company was conducting the next day and I had a really nice stay. I was put on the 8th floor overlooking the campus and it was great. The bed was super comfortable and the room was clean.

The people at the front desk were very friendly except they couldn't figure out why my Starwood account had issues. The shuttle driver was also very friendly who picked me up at Delmonico's on Erie Boulevard. I liked staying at a time when students were on break (summer) as the last time I stayed during the semester; it wasn't as nice, relaxing.

The meeting in the Comstock room the next day was nice, but the servers removed the food fast and there wasn’t time to even get a second helping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hello STEBAY711,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room comfortable and the staff to be friendly. The bedding in the room is part of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Collection which is a key brand element to Sheraton, so its great to hear that you found them to be comfortable. Great to hear that you were able to utilize our shuttle service as well.
In regards to the trouble with locating your starwood account, and the servers clearing the food, we do apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you during your time with us.

Once again thank you, and we do hope to see you again.

Guest Services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
florida
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a one night stay here and can report that we were welcomed and checked in quickly. Arrived late evening and we were still able to get a meal prior to 11 pm in their bar. Room was clean and w/o problems and bed comfort was good to very good. Location is right next to Syracuse University and the medical center. There is a Starbucks right across the street. Parking is in a garage attached to the hotel and is $13.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a noisy side to the hotel. It is in a quiet area.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello bigsky3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Great to see that you found the checkin process speedy, and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant outlets. In regards to the room and bedding, the bedding is our SHeraton Sweet Sleeper Collection, which is a staple to all Sheraton's so we are happy that you found them to be very comfortable.

Once again thank you, and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the Syracuse area.

niagara
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our stay was great clean rooms great lounge on the 6th floor. Brandon and Frankie who over see the lounge made us feel right at home. We stay every year here as we are in town for the Syacuse National Classic car show. Front desk staff Paulin and Jane are friendly and are always there to help in any way. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello EJZ1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding you recent stay with us. First off we want to thank you for your continued loyalty year after year. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our associates to be friendly, helpful and that they allowed you to feel at home while staying with us.
Once again thankyou, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Guest Services
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I always like to add a disclaimer to my reviews because I'm extremely picky and what most might be acceptable to most people usually isn't for me. So when it comes to this property I think it's just okay, I can't decide if the decor is dated or just not in good taste. On the surface the room looks cleanish. A bit of dust here and there (nothing major) and it essentially just looks like the cleaning crew doesn't scrub the corners. We paid $200 a night (on the club floor) last minute and it's 4th of July. An added bonus was we could see multiple fireworks displays from our room. Kids loved it! The hotel is about a 5 min drive from destiny NY shopping mall and from what we could see (didn't look that hard though) we couldn't find better accommodations any closer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mom2philip
Julie M, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear mom2philip,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay in Syracuse. I am pleased to let you know that we will be undergoing a lobby renovation this winter and we are hopeful that the change in lobby décor will brighten up the hotel. We do hear from our guests about the color scheme of the rooms - the brown and the beiges can be drab and dark. We will certainly keep that in mind when we make our next renovation selections. I am glad that you enjoyed the view of the fireworks! It had to have been a fantastic view!

Again -
Thanks for writing,
Julie Martin, Director of Operations
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I want to rate the Sheraton Syracuse University because I was guided to stay at this hotel by previous recommendations on this travel advisory sight. It was not as described by previous reviewers, however. The hotel itself is nothing to write home about. It is old, dark, and in need of renovation. The location is great with it being right on Syracuse University’s campus and if you receive a room on the side with the view, it is nice. However, we thought we were doing something special by getting the club level. The hours that the club is open means you’d better get there at the beginning, or you might miss out on the servings. Once the food is out, it is out. We asked for additional fruit for our children, and the young lady said “that’s it”. It was the same comment from the gentleman last night who was hosting the club lounge. I have never experienced anything like that before. Also be very careful-one of the bottles of water that are in the room costs $3.50. The other ones are free-so beware not to grab the wrong one! This was also a surprise on our bill. On a positive note, the front office staff was very courteous and kind, of special mention is Jane (Jan). Adrian our bellman was also quite helpful as were Pete and Dave. I'd have to say that the staff downstairs outdid the hotel itself. Hope this helps in your choice of places to stay in Syracuse.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank kathrine j
Dear Katherine j,

I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologize for the experience you had in the Club Lounge. I am shocked that requests for more food or snacks were not honored. I have since addressed the with our food & beverage team. I am hopeful that associates will quickly honor requests in the future.

Thank you again for letting me know about your experience. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Warm Regards,
Julie Martin, Director of Operations
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza and the Sheraton which are close to each other. I would pick the Sheraton over the Crowne after staying at both. The Sheraton seems to be a bit newer and a very well maintained property. Parking is done via an attached parking garage ($13 a night), has a nice business center with four computers, a coffee shop, a nice tv type lounge, an attached restaurant and a bar. From the minute I walked in, I was impressed with how well the property was maintained inside. The hotel is also very easy to reach from the highway, just blocks off the road.

The hotel is dead center of Syracuse University and right next to the medical center. It is also an easy walk to the Dome for concerts or games. At best 3-4 blocks. In fact, I was on the 7th floor and could look out the window right at the Dome and campus buildings. Very beautiful. If you are here for a campus visit, it would also be very convenient.

Food wise, the food at the hotel is nothing special, not great, not bad, typical bit overpriced hotel food. The club breakfast was decent, plenty of fresh fruit, coffee, eggs, toast, bagels, juices, etc. The gentleman working there was also very friendly and good company over breakfast. He is a long time resident and is full of good information. The staff are all friendly, cleaning crew is very good at what they do, room was made up before 12:30, all restocked, plenty of towels (4 full sized, 4 hand, 4 wash clothes) and extra soaps, etc. Also, as a nice touch, they provide extra coffee packs and creamers in the room and use Starbucks coffee.

The room I was in was very big for a hotel, two chairs with stools, a full sized work desk, oversized dresser, large screen tv, couple of end tables and king sized bed. Plenty of lights and electrical plugs. A nice touch are the plugs right in the night stand to charge electronics. Also nice was the light blocking drapes that fully close over the windows. It was 630 a.m. and I had no idea as it was that dark in the room. Room was a little aged but in very good shape and well decorated. No mold smells, no stains. Bed was pretty comfortable for a hotel as were the pillows. Also, plenty of closet space with extra hangars which is always nice. One thing the cleaning staff showed me as a nice tip was the shelf in the closet is set up like a pants hangar if you have two people traveling and staying long term. There is a one inch space between each row on the racks where the pants slide right in like a pants hangar preventing wrinkles or hangar marks.

Bathroom is pretty big, plenty of amenities. Very clean. One issue was water pressure. It's not minimal like some complained of, but at same time not too powerful. Also, tub was a slow drainer which is annoying.

Walls were pretty thick, no outside noise heard or next door noise which was nice.

Food wise, there is a couple of restaurants within a block or two which service the college community. There is also a Starbucks across the street to avoid the $20 breakfast charge. If you are here long term, you may want to consider going to Wegman's Grocery for food, as they have plenty of premade items you can bring back. My room also had a mini fridge and a microwave which was a nice bonus.

One huge perk of this hotel is the quality of the onsite gym. Three treadmills (modern machines in good condition), two elliptical machines, three bikes, free weights and machine weights. There were also plenty of Pilates and Yoga items. No reason you can't get a nice work out here. There is also an indoor pool but it is not a lap pool. One issue I didn't like is the work out room is on one end of the hotel and you have to walk through the lobby to get to the hotels after getting all sweaty.

I would come here again and will be staying here if I can get a reservation in July. That is one of the issues, this place is first to fill up. I also would bring kids here to stay, as across the street toward the Dome is a pretty big green space they could run around, tour campus, also an ice cream shop across from the parking lot. If you are working downtown, you are about 1.5 miles from the downtown area, quick drive.

Room Tip: I was in room 701 which was the very end of the hall and looked out over the campus. Was nice for v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello jmoonesq,

Thank you for taking the time you review your stay with us. Great to hear that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, and found convenience in our hotels location. As you said we are directly on the main campus, and love being steps away from the campus eateries and shopping. In regards to the hotel, we are pleased to read that you were able to utilize our Fitness center by Core fitness, and our business center the Link. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your room as well, and enjoyed the campus view, that is our ocean view here in Syracuse!
In regards to the water pressure in the room and the dining outlets within the hotel, we do apologize for these not meeting your standards. We have shared your comments with our associates and appreciate your review.

Once again thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Toronto
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on my way home from driving my daughter to NYC, who was moving there for a new job. I chose this hotel as it is right on SU's campus and I am an alumni who hasn't stayed in Syracuse since I graduated in 1976. I was driving a rented cargo van and it was too high to fit in their parking garage but the shuttle driver who was sitting in his van told me to park it right in front of the hotel sign, right in front of the hotel. Very nice of him. Checking in and out was great and I was given a very nice end room with free WiFi (unlike the Sheraton in Parsippany NJ which wanted $10 from me but didn't get it). I checked into the hotel at about 8:30 in the evening and went downstairs for dinner. The dining room was closed so I went into the bar and the bar tender told me I could order anything from the restaurant menu. I ordered a pasta dish and asked him to put on the hockey game. He had no idea what channel it was on so I had to look it up on the Internet and tell him. The pasta dish was quite poor but I was hungry and it was late so I ate it anyways. The bed was extremely comfortable so sleeping was good. The water pressure in the morning for the shower could have been better.Breakfast in the morning was okay. Nice place to stay but I would go elsewhere for dinner next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Julie M, Guest Services at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello SlickToronto,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. Welcome back to Syracuse, were always happy to welcome alumni back. Happy to hear that you were able to utilize our complimentary wireless during your stay and that you found the bedding to be comfortable. The bed is our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper which is a brand standard for all Sheraton's so were happy to hear you got a good night sleep. In regards to your meal, we do apologize that you did not enjoy your dinner, and we have shared your comments with our food and beverage manager.

Once again thank you, and we do hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the Syracuse area.

Guest Services