“Not good”

Comfort Inn Carrier Circle
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed one night for business in August 2011. During check-in, the clerk basically ignored me and chatted with the customer in line behind me, neglecting to even point out the elevators, tell me when breakfast was, or wish me a good stay. First room smelled HEAVILY of smoke even though I had requested a non-smoking; called down and was told they would change my room, no problem. Second room had a crack in the window and leaking (either past or present) in the ceiling. Also scuff marks all along the door and walls of the room.

I travel for business around 2 nights a week 52 weeks out of the year, so I feel like I know what to reasonably expect from this class of hotel, and this was just not good. I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: 3rd & 4th floor rooms near back of the hotel reek of smoke (even non-smoking rooms).
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Shuegirl, General Manager at Comfort Inn Carrier Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel; unfortunately, we fell short of your expectations and I apologize for that. Please know that you are important to us and I have taken steps to correct our missteps, particularly in customer service. We are continually updating the hotel and our customer service training but it appears we need to try harder and we will. Thank you again for your business and I hope you will try us again. Sincerely, Kathy Shue GM

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stopped here at the last minute. Cons include: Neighborhood is an old, industrial area. Some gang graffiti on abandoned businesses. Not far from a nicer area with newer hotels. Hotel is older. Hot hallway to get to our room.
Pros: inexpensive, clean; we got a room with a renovated bath; the furniture/carpet in room were in good condition. Large bathroom and large living area. Coffee maker in room not in bath (I hate having food/drinks set up in a bathroom; ick). Beds were comfortable. Desk staff was very nice. He gave us a discount because he wasn't a desk when we came in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I always make a point to stay at this Comfort Inn when I'm driving to Boston or NY. The staff are great and the location too, but this time the room I got was rather shabby. It smelled damp, the headboard on the bed was broken, and the bathroom ceiling was caving in. It also appears they hired a really lazy person to install the shower; it looked like it wasn't completed, and it was finished off by visible staples around the perimeter -- which were now rusty from the water dripping.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Though it is near a number of nice hotels, its immediate surroundings--many boarded up buildings and empty, overgrown parking lots--will give a traveler pause. However, don't judge this hotel by its surroundings. It is clean, well run, and serves an excellent breakfast. We chose it because (as of 6/10/11) it was the highest rated of the Choice hotels in the Syracuse area. We were pleasantly surprised by the speedy elevator, the bedroom's vaulted ceiling (on the 4th floor, at least), and the very, very spacious bathroom. It was larger than most handicapped bathrooms, but clearly was not handicapped. The bed could have been softer, but was not too bad. The next morning we had an excellent breakfast, complete with waffles, sausage, and scrambled eggs. Though we were a bit put off the the surrounding lots, our experience was excellent and we would happily say there again.

A couple minor notes (you can decide whether they are pros or cons):
* It is right next door to a nice-looking MacDonald's for easy food access
* The fourth floor hallway was very, very warm (probably due to heat rising)
* The free internet access was pretty slow most of the time
* The breakfast area is spacious and nice, but they also turn a nearby conference room into extra seating for breakfast, something we did not notice until after we had eaten.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have slightly vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We have stayed mulitple times and find it to be a home away from home. Manager, Assistant Managera and front desk staff are extrememly pleasant and very accommodating. New spacious bathrooms. Great lobby with fireplace to hang out in.

Room Tip: book ahead if possible
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Room was a good size, clean and bed was comfortable. Pretty good breakfast selection. There are limited restaurants near this location. Many closed business' Staff was very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NovTraveler01
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed here with friends on a shopping trip. Clean and accomodating. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends