“Nightmare...Trust Me. I travel a lot.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport

Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
West Warwick, Rhode Island
“Nightmare...Trust Me. I travel a lot.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Let me start off by saying that I travel about 70 days per year. 40-50 for business and 10-20 for pleasure. This trip was a combination. It was a 3 night business trip in which I took my family along seeing that they were off for Labor Day weekend. I thought they could have some fun at Destiny and the Zoo while I worked. We stayed in Buffalo on the Saturday night due to business and made our way to Buckley on Sunday for 3 additional nights.

In all of my travels, this was my worst experience in a hotel. After driving 3+ hours from Buffalo, all my daughter wanted to do was go in the pool. She is 3 and was getting very cranky. Well, upon checking in, there was a man with his kids complaining that the pool had a private party. What hotel advertises a pool and then books private parties? Part of the reason I chose this hotel was because of the pool. Regardless, we checked in and went to our room. Traveling with my family, we had so much luggage and the hotel was out of carriers. Therefore, I made 4 trips back and forth to my car to get everything in the room. The room was adjacent to the pool and, due to the party, there was inappropriate music blasting throughout our room. You could literally look out our sliding door and there were a bunch of kids running and dancing around the pool. It didn't matter, because by the time I got everything into the room, we noticed that the air conditioner in the living area had water everywhere and that the ceiling in the bathroom was pouring out water onto the floor. We had to change rooms.

I moved everything, with no help from anyone, for the second time to the new room. At this point, I was exhausted and my family was wondering why they came on this business trip with me. I finally got everything into the room and my wife and I realized that it was about 100 degrees in there. We called the front desk, they sent someone to our room (he was a great guy...the only helpful person at this place), but it didn't matter. The AC was down. We were moved to ANOTHER ROOM!

I had help moving everything this time from the man who tried to fix the AC. This process took 2 hours all in all. Additionally, there were countless other issues. No towels at the pool. 2 out of 4 broken machines at the gym. An awful smell throughout the entire hotel. A miserable staff. I had to change my key card about 5 times over 3 days because it continued to stop working. Front desk couldn't give me quarters from the vending machine. They advertise a pool and book private parties. They advertise a restaurant and bar, which were both closed for 2 of the 3 nights.

On top of all of this, I grabbed the General Managers business card from the front desk on my first night. I sent an email that night asking to meet at some point during my stay. I never heard back. I reforwarded the email this past Monday (8 days after the first email was sent) and still heard nothing. The front desk claimed that they wanted to do something for me but they couldn't because I booked on line. I did book on line. I BOOKED ON CHOICE'S WEBSITE!!! It's not like it was Priceline. It was Choice Rewards. This is a Choice hotel. My final point??? Go down the street to the CS in Ciccero. They are pleasant, clean and have a managers cocktail reception Sunday through Thursday. They don't have the pool that Buckley does or a restaurant, but so what? You can't use the ones at Buckley anyway.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joshua M
Mary Kay W, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay. I will touch on a few items but would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss these matters with you personally. Please contact me at 315-457-4000 as the General Manager has not received your emails and we are unable to contact you due to the security and privacy of TripAdvisor. Our indoor heated pool is always available to hotel guests. We do not close the facility for pool parties but rather offer this package to share the pool with hotel guests. The Atrium Cafe' and Lounge is open Monday through Saturday, however due to the Labor Day Holiday it was closed on Monday as indicated by the signage posted with offerings of local restaurants. The hotel staff works diligently to provide exceptional service and I apologize for failing to meet your expectations. I look forward to discussing this matter with you personally in hopes to regain your loyalty to the Comfort Inn and Suites and Choice Hotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Where to start with the problems? One of our party was covered with bites from bed bugs after our stay. That in itself should convince you to stay away. The rooms were tired and dingy and needed generally to be cleaned, updated and painted. The Air Conditioner unit was constantly leaking onto the rug in one room. And the pull out sofa bed - ripped and torn fabric, and a mattress so thing it almost had only one side.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelNotTourism
Mary Kay W, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
I apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss these matters with you personally. Please contact me at 315-457-4000 so we can make the necessary repairs to the guest room you were assigned to. We have not had any reports of insects in our hotel. We take an active approach with an extermination company to inspect on a bi-weekly basis. We are continuously updating the hotel which recently included partial guest room carpet, painted accent walls and new sleeper sofas. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the exception service we are known for.

Travellers are raving about these Syracuse hotels

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Overall, hotel was basic, nothing fancy, but it suited our needs so well, I am quite happy.

Room
We had our 9 month old baby with us, so paid a little extra for the King Suite.... and did not regret it one bit. Baby had his own room, connected to ours with French double doors. "His room" had a fridge and microwave, perfect for his baby food, and had his own bathroom which we used as a makeshift kitchen, for washing bottles, etc. We could put him down for a nap or for the night, and close his door, then we could watch tv or whatever in our room. 60 or so channels on tv, not bad. Bed was comfortable. Small old bathroom with no vent fan, so steamy after showers, but ok. Room wasn't totally soundproof, as we often heard conversations happening in the hallway, especially the ladies yelling "room service" in the morning.

Free breakfast, but good thing it's free. I don't consider myself a picky eater by any means, but the food was mediocre at best. Selection ok, but not many healthy options (white bread, white bagels, scrambled eggs, bacon or saussage (one option each day) waffle machine, 3 sugar cereal options, whole apples and bananas. BUT (hotel, take note if you're reading this!) the waffle station is extremely crowded on the weekend! My hysband waited 25 minutes for a waffle!! They could stand to buy another 2 or 4 waffle irons (2 there now).

Pool: nice atrium area, but pool water was cold.... we were hoping for a nice temperature since it's an indoor pool, but it was so cold my husband wouldn't go in.

Tip for picking your room: with a stroller, ask for a ground floor room. Also, ask to be as far away from the pool as poasible, since it is loud during the day if you have nappers. We read this tip and therefore got room 113, and were so happy we asked to be far from the pool.

Friendly and courteous. They helped us with dinner recommendations (ordered Mark's Pizza, $2 delivery charge, right to the room, $18 all in for a loaded up medium.... best pizza ever! Fresh, generous with toppings and hot when arrived.... so glad hotel staff steered us away from Pizza Hut (considered cheapo crappy pizza in the states, apparently) and recommended Mark's)

Location
Great. Very close to highway exit (1km tops) and One highway exit from Destiny USA mall and Babies R Us. Not much food nearby, so plan to eat before you leave the mall or order delivery at hotel (see praise for Mark's pizza above).

Room Tip: Travelling with a stroller, ask for a ground floor room. Also, ask to be as far away from the pool...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay. We appreciate all guest comments whereas we can make the appropriate changes to enhance our amenities for future guests. During your next visit I hope you will enjoy the many delicious food options, including pizza, in our Atrium Cafe' and Lounge.
Oxbow, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The place had a horrible smell. The air conditioning in our room was not very cool. Some of the lights weren't working in our room. And the biggest issue was that the so-called free wifi wasn't even working and apparently this is frequent occurrence. I called 3 times to find out what was going on and each time they told me someone would be right there, no one showed. Our entire stay we had no internet. Apparently the entire hotel went without internet, there were several people complaining the next morning at the front desk. We will never stay at another Comfort Inn!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mary Kay W, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with your stay and the inability to connect to the internet. We have been working diligently with our provider to correct this problem. I can truly understand your disappointment and frustration for being unable to use the technology of today which we are so dependent on. I have also shared your comments with the appropriate management staff to rectify all concerns and reiterate to the staff that exceptional customer service is what we strive to achieve. I hope you will give the Comfort Inn & Suites another opportunity to service your lodging needs in hopes to regain your trust in Comfort Inn and Choice Hotels.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed there in July and everything was outstanding.

The front desk staff was pleasant, efficient and assigned us a great interior room poolside.
Everything about the hotel is top notch and at a very reasinable price.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room poolside you'll love it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mary Kay W, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Comfort Inn & Suites, Syracuse Airport and the staff members. It is truly a pleasure to share your comments with the staff who demonstrate exceptional guest service. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

The place was clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a little small for 2 adults and 2 teen boys. It seems a little dated. The pool area is super cold. They have ceiling fans going and it makes for a chilly area. It's close to Destiny USA which was our destination. Overall, I would go back but get a large suite instead.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words regarding the attentiveness of the staff. Exceptional guest service is what keeps our guests coming back. As you had indicated, our guest room suites are large and easily accommodate a larger family. I hope you will be able to enjoy the comfort of a suite during your next visit. I apologize that you were unable to enjoy the pool area due to the cool temperature. The hotel tries to maintain a consistence temperature in the Atrium area for the comfort of all guests whether they are in the pool, breakfast or Atrium Cafe' and Lounge area. I am happy to hear that you will be visiting us again, as we truly appreciate your business.
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

comfortable, clean beds and pillows, nice pool,breakfast and waffles,selection of fruits was limited to apples when I went.
reception staff were very friendly and helpful.
wi-fi in the room.
5 min drive from Destiny Mall.
nice pool area.
The only thing we did not like is the parents who don't watch their kids and let them go wild in the pool.oh they were kind of watching from their room. but they did not have to listen to them we did.
Management did not reinforce the parent on deck rule although they did come around a few times.

Room Tip: I did not see the suites but the regular room was big enough for me and 3 kids. One of my friend us...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We truly appreciate your positive feedback while also informing our future guests of our many added amenities. The management staff takes an active role in monitoring the pool area to ensure the rules and regulations are followed, however we also rely on the parents to watch over their children as stated on the posted signage. I hope you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return visit.