Mountain Brook
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
US$146
US$140
Winter Clove Inn(Round Top)
US$259
US$211
US$200
US$70
  • Pool
Villa Vosilla(Tannersville)
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe main lodgegas fireplacecoffee cakekaaterskill fallsfrench toastadirondack stylemy boyfriendeach morningwine barget awayrestaurants and shopspork bellycast iron skilletsuperior roombreakfast skilletthe bread puddingprofessional chef
Reviewed 6 November 2012

we have stayed here twice, once in the spring as a couple and once in the fall as a family. both times were terrific! both times we stayed in a cottage, which is really like a home away from home. they are beautiful, spacious, clean and private. and very cozy! the gas fireplace is on a timer, which is brilliant. there is really nothing they haven't thought of to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible. the towels are soft as can be and even the bath products smell great! the tv in our room could have been a bit larger, but that is seriously the worst thing i can think of to say about our stays here! tannersville is a cute little town, with a variety of good restaurants and shops, beautiful scenery and it's convenient to other towns & attractions. the staff is most friendly and accommodating. and the (included) breakfast is really, really spectacular! the thick cut bacon is amazing, truly the best ever! the french toast is fantastic, and even the fruit, home fries and orange juice deserve a mention. the living room is cozy and welcoming, and the (free) DVD library a great touch, along with the free snacks & beverages. yes, there is a school next door, but that does not take away from the beauty or tranquility of the place. a previous reviewer was disappointed that no one was at the front desk, but i thought that was nice! made it feel like we had the place to ourselves & did not have people hovering over us. they were around & available & ever so helpful, but knew how not to be in the way. we were there this last time escaping our house, which was left cold & dark by hurricane sandy. they generously let us stay way, way past the normal check-out time on our last day, while we waited to see if our power at home would come back on or if we should stay an extra night. i can't tell you how disappointed i was to learn that our power was restored and we had to leave! we cannot recommend this place more highly...we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mamator
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We booked a chalet here as part of a tour between Washington DC and Boston. We wanted to see a variety of country, and we planned to stay in a variety of lodgings from humble B&Bs and lodges to nice hotels, but we felt that this place, when we arrived, bore precious little resemblance to the pictures on the website.

Entering the hotel lobby was a strange experience since there was not a soul there. There were dead flies on the front desk which was covered in papers and bits and pieces which looked as if they'd been there a very long time. We called out, many times, and climbed the stairs to the upper stories to look for staff, but there was nobody in except one other guest who disappeared pretty quickly. Eventually, we found a piece of paper on the desk which said to ring a phone number if we needed help. We rang, and a very young man quickly appeared and found our booking, and showed us to our cabin. He was helpful and polite in a vague kind of way, (he didn't know if the water from the cabin taps was safe to drink, though he did offer to provide bottled), but he left pretty soon after we arrived and was apparently no longer on the property. I have to say that he asked if we were OK before he left, but I really hadn't had a chance to properly assess the situation and didn't mention my apprehension, so it was not his fault that he left us unhappy.

On looking around the cabin, I was dismayed. There was a very musty 'fungus' or mould type smell which was a big concern since I'm asthmatic and suffer from quite serious allergies. It was clearly damp (or at least had been damp), because the paper lining the drawers was yellowed and curled. The bed looked clean and tidy, but the alarm clock at the side was coming apart and while we were there began making a horrible buzzy 'short-circuit' noise as if it were trying to sound the alarm and failing.

The cabin was pretty basic when compared to the picture on the website, which suggests a certain level of luxury. It was clean, and didn't seem to be dusty, but I saw no beautiful decorative panels; the wood was not blond and pristine, but darkish and seemed old. I saw no ornaments like the ones in the website photo, and the furniture was basic and also appeared rather old. In short, it did not feel like a comfortable hotel room and was not what we expected for $200 a night.

There was an extensive library for guests in the main building, and the sitting area and dining areas looked clean and comfortable (although there was a tangle of wiring hanging off a beam behind the bar) and I have no reason to believe that other services like wi-fi and DVD library were not provided. My disappointment is purely with the quality of our room.

In short, the website write-up suggests a level of luxury which was entirely absent, and although items described were present, we felt let-down and misled and I did not feel able to sleep in such a damp, potentially spore-laden environment*.

My husband had lost patience by this time and we left to stay in a Comfort Inn that night, expecting to pay for our stay, though in fact we were not charged, which was generous.

He did not ring again to ask for a room change or to inform the proprietors of our departure, because we felt that another cabin would be no different since there is nothing to suggest a scale of comfort/prices of cabins on the website.

* It had been made clear at the time of booking that I had a feather allergy. I was pleased that there were no feathers in the room, but I was very disappointed to be presented with another potential problem for someone with breathing difficulties and would have preferred to have been notified that the environment could be damp with the possibility of mould, etc.

Room Tip: Try the main building, which might be a lot better than the cabins.
8  Thank Judy S
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My husband and I were very happy with our stay in a cabin at Hotel Mountain Brook. We did feel that the photos on the website were deceiving in that the hotel is directly next to a school and, rather than overlooking a breathtaking mountain view, our cabin was beside soccer and baseball fields. The cabins and cottages were also much closer than expected, preventing some of the expected privacy.

Our cabin itself was extremely comfortable, with a fantastic king size bed, a cozy fireplace, and a spacious sitting area. The staff was very attentive and helpful. We loved the breakfast, which was delicious and plentiful. The DVD library was a nice touch, too!

1  Thank nyindel
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I came here with my boyfriend for his birthday. We went to the Wing/Wine fest (all of the wines were cheap and the wings were awesome) and zipling (have to do the skyrider tour if you go).

Hunter mountain is literally 2-3 long streets away (about 6-8 minutes away). The grounds are beautiful and you can see the mountains from the hotel. Is there a high school nearby, yes, but you don't really see it much and we were there on a Monday, and there was a zero noise factor. One of the hotel employees, John, helped me over the phone on numerous occasions and even upgraded our hotel room to a mountain view one. Some guests complained on here about the view (I read virtually every review on here), but if you talk to the owners on the phone about what you want, they will do their best to make it happen!! Call ahead before coming. If you come early enough (before 4-4:30 from what I saw), they will give you a tour and explain how everything works.

In the library room, there are DVDs to borrow, stem ware, cork screws, free beverages to take 24hrs a day (coffee, tea, water bottles, sodas, etc.) and snacks (fruit, cheese crackers). The room, itself, is small but really cozy. Our room was very nice. I loved the Jacuzzi tub with the jets, which were powerful and amazing for my back (note that the tub is a one person tub unless you are in a cottage). We had a gorgeous view of the mountain, which I posted on here. The bed was comfortable. There is a personal air conditioning unit and a personal heating unit (very helpful). There is a blow dryer, shampoo, soap, and conditioner in the bathroom (note: shampoo and toiletries were in the medicine cabinet). I didn't find the bathroom to be exceptionally small so I do not know what the one reviewer was talking about, and I am accustomed to major hotels and have never stayed in a B&B before. There was not a lot of space to put things, but there was space on the sink and, for the bath stuff, in the tub.

The breakfast was amazing!! On the buffet table there were juices, water, coffee, cinnabuns (awesome), muffins (banana nut and blueberry), crumb cake, and doughnuts. Everything else was made to order and you don't have to stick with the combinations there and can order AS MUCH AS YOU WANT for free. I got the challah french toast with bacon. My boyfriend got blueberry pancakes with bacon. We also ordered a side of home fries (these were not your crappy diner fries, but were seasoned and cut perfectly). There was also an omlet with whatever you wanted on the menu, as well as an egg combination platter. Order one meal or order three for yourself (though I am a huge breakfast eater) and I could only eat one meal!!

We loved every part of our stay and it is so close to the mountain!! We came in just past-peak for the leaves (Oct 14-15), and it was still very pretty on the mountain. The weekend before would have been peak. Ziplining with the red, orange, and yellow trees was beautiful!!

Room Tip: We were in room 6 and did not have a fire place, but which did have a sitting area and a beautiful view of the mountains.
1  Thank Courtney A
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Service was excellent. Got a tour when we checked in made sure our every need would be met. Gave excellent suggestions for food, hikes, and drives. Very welcoming! Lots of area for our dog to run around. We walked on the nearby tracks in the morning because it was raining while we were there. The rooms are great! Very clean and big. Love the fireplaces and the snacks in the main building. Breakfast is a sit down made to order tasty treat! All around great experience would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family