“Arrogant Restaurant Owner”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We were planning on using a Fund Raising Gift Certericate to this restaurant. We live 45 miles from restaurant. My my sister- in-law (Certificate Winner) who lives on Long Island was also with us. Since we were travelling a distance I called for reservations and left my cell phone number to confirm. Since we did not hear from the restaurant, we went for our meal. The restaurant has old world charm, but when you walk in the door you were hit with a obnoxious musty odor.

We met by a hostess who informed us that the restaurant was not serving dinner because they were hosting a party. We explained that we had come a long distance and had called for a reservation. The hostess told us they could do nothing about it. We asked to have the Gift Certicate extended. She went to the kitchen and after listening to the messages said they did could not understand the message. She extended the Certicate for one month. We asked to extend it for 6 months to a year, which she said she would have to speak to the owner. The owner came out of the kitchen in a rage and berated us and told us he was too busy and he did not have time to speak to us. We asked to please just extend the Certificate. We asked to give us the value of the Certificate in cash. He became totally enraged and went back to the kitchen.

We have never been treated so poorly, and we will never set foot in this restaurant again. What happened to Customer Service?

1  Thank bbdubois

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were in the area of Hunter Mountain for a week, stumbled upon this restaurant, and decided to give it a try. When we arrived, there was one large group of 12 that was finishing up and two or three other tables just beginning their meal. We were seated by the windows and were able to enjoy the mountain views until the sun set. Our waitress seemed very harried and nervous which supposedly was due to the "large" party and everyone else coming in at once. Since we were in no hurry, we were not concerned with speedy service, and we reassured her that we would be patient.

In the end, we were the very last people in the restaurant, and still waiting for our check while the two waitresses had a conversation in the back! We tried valiantly to get their attention, but it took a long while to get our check finalized and paid. The large party was long gone, but everything took a long time to get to our table and at times we actually felt "ignored".

I did enjoy the food. Our table had escargot and mussels for an appetizer (the mussels were a bit on the dry side - escargot was better), the French Onion soup (very good, the cheese topping especially), and I had the duck for an entrée. The duck was cooked well and the sauce was delicious. There were some whipped sweet potatoes, whipped white potatoes, and some green beans for side dishes. I did not enjoy those as much as the duck. For dessert I had a cappuccino mousse cup which was very tasty. Most of the others in our party enjoyed their food.

It was unfortunate that the service was not up to par. We were almost embarrassed by being the last ones in the restaurant and wanting to leave, but being unable to get the attention of our server. I hope that our experience was just a bad night for them and not the normal customer treatment.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is one of the hardest reviews ever. We made reservations for Fri evening at 5:30. We arrived to a cavernous building on a nice night . There was one other person there but we knew we were early. I had read about Fri being moules or steak frittes special night which drew us up here for the day. We were asked where we wanted to seat and we opted for outside. There are maybe 8 tables outside very pleasant and gorgeous scenery. The inside is another story. The main problem is the overwhelming musty odor that never went away . Our table was outside facing the door and we could smell this odor. I do not know if in the carpets or what but the interior is very dark despite nice sized windows. The food we ordered was fantastic as Gerard is a real honest French chef who cares about each diner. We had escargot, French onion soup,rack of lamb with cheesy creamed potatoes great vegetables and sea bass with a lobster sauce deserts chocolate soufflé and a strawberry topped cheesecake, As we were the only ones service was fine and food came out reasonably on time. The two waitresses were attentive but did retreat to the distant inside area where I had to get up to call to them for wine. Speaking of a well explained wine list depicting the the various regions of France and a few by the glass which were serviceable. The beer list was basically non existent 4 only Bud light,Heinekin,Corona and another usual suspect. Why not have some local or near craft beers to go with mussels etc. Also as France is also known for ciders get a few in here also. This is a big missed opportunity and sorely lacking here. I kept thinking that Robert from restaurant impossible would love to get into this place just for the interior not the food.I am all for atmosphere but this was kind of creepy décor in a large barn like building with ceilings up 30 feet easy. If we had to have eaten inside I do not think we could have stayed. We left at 7:15 and there was only a mother and daughter dining . This was over 1 and 1/2 hours on a beautiful Fri night . Very sad. That should hopefully prompt Gerard to not be so stubborn and update the establishment and maybe hire a few helpers in the kitchen to pass his skills onto. Oh and the Fri night special was never mentioned at all to us and not on the menu as an inset etc. I did though see a brochure as I was waiting for my wife clearly toting this. Very odd that our waitress who remembered numerous specials would not state this

1  Thank seamac
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Whenever I go skiing I can only stomach greasy pub fare for one night, and then I'm looking for a great "foodie" establishment. I've always managed to find just ONE in these east coast ski towns. This was my first time to Hunter Mountain. On the drive, I couldn't help but think I was not going to find one. I read some reviews of this restaurant and thought Id give it a try learning the chef was french and the place was french. I knew it would not be Danielle or Chef Boulud (NYC faves), but I knew there would at least be a white tablecloth and only dishes requiring utensils.
It was a decent break from pub fare. I guess I am spoiled by the details and attention given to food preparation in NYC french establishments. So this was... very Catskills-French. The nice hot table bread was served with stone cold pre-packaged squares of butter, that you would chisel with your knife just to cool down your bread. I got an avocado appetizer dish stuffed with crab meat. The portion of crab meat was so large. This is not a compliment. Great french restaurants serve perfect food in small portions. It was vulgar how much crab meat was stuffed in this avocado half, and I thought it might be delicately dressed with a little oil, herbes, and lemon--instead it was swimming in a heavy thousand island dressing. I prayed this was not a sign of things to come. The soup was a delicious onion soup. It was very good. Delicate although creamy enough to be decadent to the tastebuds. Dinner was average. I usually get fish, but nothing seemed too appealing on the menu under les poissons. So I tried the chicken. It was fine. Swimming again in a thick demiglace, but fine. Again, it's a decent break from pubfare, but it lacks the true french details to food I'm so accustomed to in the city--the delicately balanced flavors and the detail to quality over quantity. That's true french cuisine. But I could see how the Catskills environment could force these attributes on a restaurant owner trying to keep a business running. So I commend the effort to bring french cuisine to an area that is probably not very familiar with good french cuisine (begging for heavy flavor and heavy quantity). I do recommend this restaurant if you are staying in Hunter for more than a night. It's the best thing in town, which isn't saying much, but it still says something. ps: and I read in other reviews how the service was awful and you had to wait forever. Again, this is where we get back to the european way, and I like that aspect of french restaurants. Dining should not be a rushed event. That is something I really liked about this restaurant: they made sure you were finished with your food before bringing the next course. Such a pet peeve for me in most american restaurants!

2  Thank cheryl o