“Swiss Chalet Overpriced”
Review of Swiss Chalet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tannersville
Swiss Chalet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tannersville
Groveland, Florida
“Swiss Chalet Overpriced”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Though conveniently located near Hunter Mountain in the Catskills, this hotel is not worth the $100 nightly charge. While I will admit it is spotlessly clean, the amenities are minimal and the mattresses are in need of replacement.

Room Tip: Do NOT settle for a one bedroom unit in the basement. Ask for upstairs room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Doris882

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
haines falls, ny
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Robert Poli, owner chef, preares to order terrific German American cuisine in a marvellous dining room ( Oh, those coo-coo clocks ). But the grub's thing and he really delivers. Try the Salmon or the Viener Schnitzel or any schnitzle.

Room Tip: this review is of the resaurant in the hotel. Robert Poli, owner and chef, prepares to rder excellen...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aml894
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have been coming to this hotel for the past few years, and look forward to our stays. If you are looking for a clean, safe, warm, and quiet place to stay after a day of skiing this is the place for you. This is not a luxury hotel by any means but it is a great place to stay. The owners make all of their guests feel truly welcome. The restaurant is great. Everything is freshly prepared so reservations are required. The warm, homemade bread that comes with dinner is a great touch. I recommend the sole with grapes and almonds. The owners do not rush you through your meal so it is very relaxing after a day of skiing. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2012

.I have been traveling to Hunter Mountains for years and always drove right by this great mountain hide away. What have I been missing. The only reason I am afraid to give a great review. I don't want to let the secret out. It is a true Hunter mountain treasure.
The rooms are a little out of date in decor but they more than work for a mountain ski resort. You feel like you are in a ski village in the Alps. They are cleaned and cared for beyond belief. The owner on premise and watches over the entire operation like a father to his child. Rob well done! We made resevation in his on site restaraunt, (please make reservation) no walk-ins period! The food quality and service was far beyond our expectations. Again Bravo! Even if just passing through Hunter,snow or no snow we are stopping at the Swiss Chalet.Thank you from the entire group.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank rocky c
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The inn is a bit dated in decor but extremely clean and well cared for. The room was very large and a great value. The views are fantastic. The owners are very friendly and accommodating, they made you feel welcome.
The dinner was excellent. you have to make reservations even if its empty, not sure why exactly. We did make reservations while booking in the rooms. The food was very fresh.The food is German/Swiss and the portions are big. I had a steak that was done perfect. Served with the best red cabbage I have ever had, other choices were available. My wife had the lamb chops they were so tender and flavorful. The service was slow, more a relaxed pace than slow. The decor made me feel like i was dining in my grandmothers dining room albeit there were quiet a few more coo-coo clocks here all chiming nicely.
Overall I would highly recommend to anyone. We came on our own but I get the feeling all are welcome including family with kids.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room, Just remember to make a dinner reservation when booking. It w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eastsidetravel
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed at a nearby B&B but was recommended to try the restaurant. One thing to consider is the need to book even if the restaurant is empty! We found the restaurant very cozy with a lovely woodburner. One room in the restaurant is full of cuckoo clocks and the other has a model railway amongst many other things adding to the atmosphere. Our starter of potato pancakes was crisp and freshly cooked as was the bread and the salad. Red cabbage and potato rosti was offered as a side to the steak that we ordered. Worth a try if you are staying near Hunter!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank julia053
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Was in the area couple of times, but usually looked online for restaurants to get lunch or dinner beforehand, I could have traveled 2 hours to my favorite place, but what i got here is amazing..!!! We actually got special permission to stay, because we had no reservations (required!!!). Food is worth traveling from NY for 3 hours, a beautiful place outside the town, and although I did not stay in hotel, I plan to do ASAP. I forgot the last time I saw such great service, perhaps somewhere in Europe, and you think that you are actually in Switzerland. There is no reason to discuss the food quality. Unparalleled fresh made, baked, cooked. All spices and are fresh. Did I mention the freshly baked bread ? And about the water - no chlorine (surprise!).
When I looked around the whole restaurant, I noticed a lot of almost-museum quality accents of interior, from the entrance to the bathroom. The table is covered by tablecloth, you do not have to keep your fork or knife for the next dish, they have cloth and paper napkins, perfect tableware, soft and warm light... your eyes relax just from looking around.
A very rare combination of excellent food, memorable interior, professional service, and it satisfied mine and the expectations of my young lady daughter and of my teenage son. What a beautiful experience for them! I hope they pleasantly surprise us the next time we visit!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank landviewfinder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 6 in Hunter
The Twilight Lodge
The Twilight Lodge
#2 of 2 in Haines Falls

Been to Swiss Chalet Hotel? Share your experiences!