“A Lovely little Restaurant”
Review of Bistro Z

Bistro Z
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Z is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 65 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This restaurant is inside of the Hilton Doubletree. The servers were very attentive and friendly. My husband had the lamb chops which he loved. My salmon was a little dry but tasty. The food overall was really good. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My boyfriend and I recently dined at Bistro Z located in the Double Tree of Tarrytown, and I must say we were both pleasantly surprised! I saw a great deal for them on Groupon and decided to try it out since it was a $40 deal for a three course dinner for two, however, I really didn't know what to expect from a hotel restaurant. For starters, I ordered theOnion Soup Gratinée which was very tastey and fresh, perfectly melted gruyere cheese. My boyfriend ordered the baked brie cheese which came with a lovely lingonberry/almond sauce and fresh/warm whole wheat bread. For our entrees i ordered the chicken dish which came with a potato mash and veggies. My boyfriend ordered the steak which was also accompanied with mash potatoes and veggies. Both dishes were cooked perfectly and and seasoned just right. I would have never guessed a hotel restaurant could deliver such good food. Plus, the wait staff was great. A big shout out to our waitress Cara, who was just lovely. Oh, and we both ordered the sangria, one white and one red. The red one was definitely better than the white as i believe the white sangria had a bit too much orange juice mixed in. For dessert we shared the berry creme brulee`, which was so so good and that's saying a lot because 1. i'm not a big dessert person and 2. i'm not a big fan of creme brulee overall, my boyfriend was actually in shock that i ate most of it!! ;o)
Overall, a delicious meal and a great Groupon deal! I would definitely go back again.
Weather permitting definitely take advantage of their outdoor seating area

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Bistro Z is located in what is now the Tarrytown DoubleTree. In a prior life the hotel was the Tarrytown Hilton. Many years ago, my wife and I attended some sort of a function there and thought it was OK but there are so many good places around here in the same price category (around $50.00 per person) so we just never went back.

My Daughter-in-Law, sent me a Groupon notice so we decided to check it out with some friends. The Groupon was for $200 worth of food and I paid $95.00 for it - 52% discount - not too shabby. The Groupon allowed for 4 appetizers (up to $12 each), 4 entreés (up to $112), 2 desserts (up to $8.00 each), and a bottle of wine (up to $30.00). After looking at the menu, we thought it would be an adventure regarding the limits on the Groupon, particularly since there was only one bottle on the wine list at $30.00. It turns out, Bistro Z is quite flexible about it. They didn't limit the individual items (although the coffee was not included). The simply took $200 off the total, added in the coffee and presented a bill for $11 and some change. The Groupon worked out quite well for us.

For our appetizers we had the 3 beet salad, Caesar salad, lentil soup, and French onion soup. The report on the 2 salads was fine, the lentil soup was nice a peppery. The onion soup was nice - the Gruyere was nice and gooey, the crouton was a crouton, there were plenty of onions and the flavor was nice but it could have been a littler richer.

For the entreés we ordered the lamb chops (medium rare and cooked perfectly), the free range chicken breast, the pan seared salmon, and the sea scallops. Mine were the scallops and I can't say anything bad about the dish - it was done very very nicely. The lamb chops were pretty good (the portion was large enough to bring more than one home). The salmon was done exactly as ordered and reported to be very nice as well. Except for the morel sauce on the chicken, it was chicken - what can you say??

Dessert was killer - the four of us shared a Chocolate Explosion and a Warm Apple Tart. Though I do generally prefer chocolate desserts, let's just say that I would order either of them again. They both knocked it out of the park.

An interesting twist on the coffee - it was prepared in a French Press and it was good after dinner coffee.

The service was leisurely, bordering on slow but it was fine. Dinner took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Pretty good for a Saturday night out with friends.

The hotel is situated right by the Hudson and they offer outdoor seating. It was a bit windy and cool when we were there so when offered the choice, we opted to dine indoors and forgo the views.

My problem with the ratings is that they go from Average to Very Good. Bistro Z is in between, better than Average but not quite Very Good. So, I clicked the Very Good buttons in the ratings but it's a little less than that.

Keep in mind that this is a hotel restaurant and you will pay a few dollars more here than in a comparable place that is not in a hotel. Without the Groupon, the cost would have been around $60.00 per person complete. With it, it was about $35.00. Quite the deal.

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have eaten here on several occasions. Once for lunch with my business associate and several times with my family. I have always found the food to be good, presented nicely and more than adequate portions. The service was always cordial and professional.

I have attended social functions here as well and the kitchen produces good food even for large parties.

1  Thank Rontcpa
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Groupon is $40, but they periodically offer a $10 off, so I bought it for $30. With that Groupon you get $85 worth of food ( they say 2 starters, 2 entrees and 1 dessert, but they seem flexible at least with food purchasing). We got tri color beet salad and baked brie both were good ( salad a bit lacking in flavor and unbalanced with dressing over saturation). Then steak and Chilean sea bass. Steak was grilled well, but typical. Bass was perfectly cooked and broth was nice, flavorful addition. Dessert was molten cake-tasted microwaved and texture was off. Also got ice cream sandwich, which was OK. Bill came to $93 take off 85 add tax makes 15$ balance plus tip.

1  Thank juliette531