“Below Average for Sheraton”

Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
East Hampton, New York
“Below Average for Sheraton”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stay at this facility for about a week once or twice a year. It is a low end Sheraton for this part of the world. It is evident that the company that owns the facility pinches every penny it can. The rooms are average, good beds but small bathrooms, no closets only armoires, no sofas armchairs and the desk is not very useful. The decorations should be refreshed throughout the facility. The owners were too cheap to put in service elevators so you share the two elevators with the housekeepers in the morning resulting in long and unnecessary delays. The staff is pleasant and helpful when they can be. The facility treats SPG gold members poorly. I have been at this facility many times and it seems that the club level is always sold out even when the parking lot is more than three quarters empty. They always provide access to the lounge on the club level but it is the most poorly appointed lounge I have seen in the more than three dozen Sheratons I have stayed in over the years. First of all it is in the elevator lobby on the ftop floor. It is open only for breakfast and cocktail time. And the hours are the shortes I have ever seen. The selections are slim and the quality is low and no alcohol is available for purchase. As I said before every penny is pinched here. If it wasn't in the ideal location for meeting clients I would never stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MikeFerguson, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I'd like to thank you for choosing the Sheraton during your frequent trips to Tarrytown. Our goal is to provide the accommodations and service that Sheraton is known for worldwide and it appears that we may have failed to do so recently. I have asked our associates to review our SPG member standards as well as address your comments related to the Club Lounge amenities. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional stay when you return to Tarrytown.

Mike Ferguson, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Cresco, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed in Sheraton hotels before (Sheraton Denver Tech Center, 4x per year for 3 years and the Sheraton Bucks County Mon - Friday for 12 weeks for corporate training), (both years ago but enjoyable) so both my wife and I were surprised in the lack of attention to detail the Sheraton Tarrytown had.
Our Niece was getting married and my brother had set aside several rooms at a negotiated rate for out of town guests which was reasonable. That rate should not come at the cost of a lackluster experience and concerns for safety.
When we got to the room the wireless handset did not work. The person the front desk sent barely spoke English.
We had a reservation for a total of five people in the room but there were only three bath towels. There was no refrigerator in the room. The noise that could be heard coming from other rooms in the hotel was totally unacceptable. We were woken several times during the night by people banging on doors and by a child trying to wake their father. I know this because we heard the little girl repeating "daddy wake up".
The continental breakfast was very lack luster. The bagels and croissant were dry and hard, like they were left over from the night before. The orange juice was room temperature.
When my wife went to use the hot tub it didn't work. She called the front desk, when he came he agreed that it didn't work and needed to be reset, so then went to get the key for the room to reset the hot tub, why not just bring the key with you in the first place?
Two of my family members were given keys to rooms that the people staying there had not yet checked out of! One of which still had children sleeping in the room! This is totally unacceptable and is a personal security breach that I would believe would be considered unlawful. I shudder to think what could have happened to those kids if the wrong person entered that room, not to mention how easily someone could have been robbed, including my family! What if a woman or young girl was getting changed and a strange man, the front desk gave a key to, entered the room. Something like that happening once is a gross mistake, TWICE, within hours of each other, is gross incompetence bordering on negligence. I wonder how many times this has happened? If we were to visit the area again I would not be staying at the Sheraton Tarrytown, and I recommend that if going to the area you choose another place for lodging. I am also questioning if Sheraton as a whole has just gone third rate.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MikeFerguson, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We appreciate you providing feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Tarrytown. I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations and deeply apologize. I appreciate you bringing to our attention issues related to breakfast, housekeeping and our pool facilities. I have alerted our Housekeeping, Dining and Engineering teams to these matters and ensure you that your feedback has increased our awareness and lead to modification of our procedures. Once again, on behalf of our Sheraton team, I am truly sorry that your stay was less than expected. I invite you to join us again and allow us to provide an improved experience.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We were 3 people including our 8 years old son.
Selected king room anti allergy - DON'T!!! It's a scam , all they do is put some air cleaning machine in your room.
2. Room was soooo tiny that I had to move furniture to fit the rolling bed for my son.
3. Pool had so much chlorine that I had to buy eye drops to stop my eyes from hurting.

4. The room wasn't clean and when I asked for a bigger room I was told that this is the biggest room they have.
For $200 a night I would expect that in Manhattan but not on a god forsaken town Sheraton.

Stayed April 2014
Firstly, thank you for sharing your experiences during your recent stay at the Sheraton in Tarrytown. As one of the few hotels in the New York City area to provide optional allergy free accommodations, I am disappointed to learn that we fell far short of your expectations as well as our own. Sheraton's Breathe Free Rooms are intended to create a relaxing environment free of irritants and the images you provided have alerted us to review housekeeping procedures for all guest rooms. I hope that you will allow the Sheraton to provide you with a comfortable visit during your next stay in Tarrytown.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Everything is about 10 years old. So a bit ratty around the edges. Stayed on the club level, 6, which for your hard earned loyalty points gets you the worlds worst push button espresso machine, some Danon yogurts and a newspaper. Wow.
Staff is polite but clueless.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I'd like to thank you for your comments related to your recent stay at the Sheraton Tarrytown. Our team strives to provide exceptional service and amenities and it appears that we fell short of your expectations as well as our own. I have passed your feedback along to our Associates to ensure that we review and address any issues in educating and training our staff. Should your travels bring you back to Tarrytown, I invite you to return to the Sheraton so that we may provide you with an exceptional stay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

If you are on business in the Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow area, this is your hotel. Although close to the highway and Tapan Zee Bridge, this hotel is located in a quiet area. Ample free parking and access to Stop&Shop, across the parking lot.
Staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. If you need transportation to HPN, the closest airport, they will arrange that for you and the price is more that fair.

Room Tip: If you need transportation just ask the front desk.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MikeFerguson, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
We appreciate your kind comments about your most recent stay at the Sheraton Tarrytown. I hope that we're able to welcome you back the next time you're in the area.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2014

our weekend gateway turned out great!! The room was so clean and bed was comfortable!
The indoor swming pool was nice and the hot tub was hot! My kids had a lot of fun in the swiming pool. The Staff was great and very helpful!!
And the food was amazing! I had angus steak and my friend had salmon--fantastic!!

and we like continental breakfast as well- they have everyting including fresh fruit!!
Our stay was better than I expected and I am very satisfied and I highly recommend who want to relax and laid back.

Thank you Sheraton Tarry town! I will definitely come back!!

Room Tip: Get club room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MikeFerguson, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
On behalf of our entire team here at the Sheraton Tarrytown, thank you for your great feedback! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a relaxing weekend and take a break from the winter weather with our pool and hot tub. Our culinary team will be happy to hear comments regarding your dining experience as well! I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Tarrytown during your next break from the city.

Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lived in Tarrytown for years and decided to visit. Stayed at Sheraton Tarrytown,in Stop N Shop plaza. Hotel was nice. Rooms smaller but nice and missing amenities such as microwave and refigerator. But,it did have Starbucks coffee!!

• Stayed February 2014
MikeFerguson, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Jenifer, We enjoy welcoming our neighbors to the Sheraton Tarrytown! I hope you were able to check out our great restaurant, SB&G, and take a break from this winter weather in our indoor pool. Please consider choosing the Sheraton Tarrytown again the next time you're in need of a local escape!

Mike Ferguson, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh