“Better than Expected”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 January 2008

The hotel is still under renovation (almost completed), but our room was outstanding. Bedding was excellent, the service great. Very nice modern work out facility. We did not eat at the hotel, so we cannot rate the food or rooom service. But given a great Priceline weekend rate, we were delighted with our stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 13 December 2007

I just stayed in the recently renovated Doubletree Hotel. It was rated three and a half stars on one of the travel websites so I thought it would be nicer than the Sheraton Hotel I stayed in over Thanksgiving. I was wrong.
We arrived at the hotel and were given a room on the 2nd floor. We went in our room and found the light not working and the bulb on the bed. We found a person who I believed might have been the manager and she apologized and said she would call the service person to fix it. While waiting I decided to look in the bathroom and found it was dirty. It hadn't been cleaned. I told the same person and she apologized again and changed our room..
The second room appeared to have new furniture, rugs, and beds. The bathroom seemed to be clean. When we pulled down the comforter on one of the beds the sheet had some kind of stain. We called housekeeping who came and said the sheets were clean but a batch of them had stains and that they should not have been put on the bed. They apologized and changed our sheets. The desk had some spots on it which we wiped ourselves.
Overall, I think that some of the problems were due to the fact that they just opened this month and they are not organized yet.
Other then the room not being clean and the stain on the sheet everything else was ok.
I had a much better experience at the Sheraton which is very close to this hotel. I thought I would try this one because of the half star higher rating. I am not sure I will stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 23 June 2005

I actually stayed here 3 times - because I pre-paid the rooms with price-line - What a mistake!

This hotel is a total dump - and not up to the Hilton-chain standards. The carpets are stained - the furniture is worn and scratched - they left old-wood mini-bars in the room that have mildew in them.

The climate control system is noisy, dirty, and ineffective. On 2 of the rooms - the window closing mechanisms were broken (I had to move rooms once because of it). The low-price point for Westchester attracts a less-desirable noisy crowd. The sheets and bed-coverings are worn. The lower level doors to the outside need painted. The grout in the bathrooms has mildew stains. The bathroom is tiny.

I ordered a meal from room service - HORRIBLE - they couldn't even get the potato chips correct - they were stale and soggy! The turkey-club had partially rotten tomatoes on it!

If you don't mind dirt, worn furniture, worn bedding, mildew, broken items - I'd still recommend a Super-8 Instead!

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank sand_ca_traveler
Reviewed 12 May 2005

First the property is no longer a Hilton. It is now a Doubletree. The property is a bit dated (built 40 years ago) but well maintained and overall very clean. From a display in the lobby it looks like the property's lobby will be renovated sometime soon. Upon arrival we received Doubletree's trademark cookies. The property is very spread out and is made up a two story motel structure in the shape of a square around an outside courtyard. We received a room with 2 double beds. Again the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small and the room's amenities basic but perfect for an overnight stay. For Mother's Day weekend the place was empty. We had the indoor pool to ourselves. We stayed in Tarrytown to tour Kyuit (Rockefeller Estate) and Lyndenhurst, a National Trust property. The hotel has a great location and is within easy driving distance of all the major attractions and downtown Tarrytown. There is even a walking path from the hotel's parking lot to Lyndenhurst. Overall I would highly recommend the Doubletree Tarrytown.

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank 48summits
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 December 2004

We booked a room here for the day after Thanksgiving. We booked well in advance as we were traveling with our dog. Upon arrival we were told that there would be an additional, non-refundable $150 "deposit" for the dog. We had not been informed of this when we booked the room. It was dark and raining so we reluctantly paid, needing a good rest.

While the public areas seemed nice enough, our room was shabby and much in need of refurbishing. The mattress needed replacing, the carpet was stained, windows dirty and the bath was quite outdated. The room was at the very back of the hotel, I should say motel. We were on the first floor with a window on a parking lot where people came and went all night long.

The reception staff was unfriendly, acting as if they were doing us a favor by letting us stay there with our dog. However, we did order room service and were delightfully surprised. The room service staff was pleasant and the food quite good.

I would not stay there again. By contrast we recently stayed at the Sheraton in Danbury Conneticut for a truly comfortable experience. The beds were excellent, the room clean and fresh and the staff was happy to see us and our dog. There was no $150 extra charge either.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 June 2004

Very average. Easy location to reach, right off the highway, which was why we stayed there. A rather spread out, rambling place, and a somewhat indifferent staff. I am surprised at how poor the Hilton chain has become. The diner right across the street was great for breakfast, though.

Reviewed 12 June 2004

We stayed two nights at the Tarrytown Hilton. The place was very nice for what it was -- a mid-level place with long corridors, something of a cross between a hotel and a motel, with a great indoor pool and a nice-looking outdoor pool area as well (which we did not use because it was just a little too cold).

The staff was friendly, the rooms clean and fresh, the towels small but absorbent and there were plenty of them. The corridors were clean and pleasant enough, though much more motel-like than anything else.

There seemed to be very nice entertainment facilities (e.g. ballrooms, meeting rooms, etc.) and quite a few receptions were going on every day.

Minor quibbles: the air conditioning in the room kept the temperature fine but didn't really remove all the humidity; the indoor pool was a LONG way from our room and to get there we had to pass formally-dressed people attending weddings and such, while we had on only bathing suits and towels.

I fully expect to return, but next time I will know to ask for a room closer to the pool. Also, they have some rooms that give directly onto the garden area, and those would be worth asking for next time as well.

• Stayed: June 2004
4  Thank Two_if_by_Land
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Westchester Marriott
Westchester Marriott
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown? Share your experiences!