“Friendly service, excellent food”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
“Friendly service, excellent food”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We were made to feel welcome even though the hotel was full with several meetings.
Our room was great and we had an excellent meal at the restaurant with attentive service.
The location is very convenient too.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Novato, California
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a very difficult task planning our daughter's wedding as we are from Ca. and she and her fiance are from NY. People came from as far as Chile. Maria from reservations and myself must have emailed and spoke at least 50x regarding the accomodations.She was always so sweet, never lost patience with me, and made me feel like I was the only one she had to tend to. The reception was catered by the hotel and it was the best meal I'd ever had at a wedding. Everything went like clockwork. On the day of the wedding the head of catering shook my hands with a cold hand as she was tending to the butterflies that were to be released later. Even the shuttle came to our rescue more than once. The rooms were clean, the staff outstanding, if you're planning a wedding check this place out.

Room Tip: We had a Jr suite with an adjoining room that opened onto a back lawn. One morning a flock of wild t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed for two nights during the Canada Day long weekend for my cousin's wedding and here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
- good size room - there were 3 of us and we found it very comfortable and spacious even with a roll-away bed
- the beds were very comfy, it was hard to get up in the morning!
- A.C worked perfectly - it was extremely hot outside so this was a definate bonus
- the bathroom was nice, ample counter space for all your toileries and Crabtree & Evelyn shampoo, bath gel and lotion were provided
- enjoyed using the Keruig coffee maker
- we received warm chocolate chip cookies upon check-in, we were absolutely starving so they were much appreciated!
- good wi-fi signal

Cons:
- I found a coachroach during my first night, it freaked us out but luckily, didn't see another one during our stay
- the hotel itself is very old and outdated
- it was a very long walk from my hotel room to the lobby
- there is a charge for wi-fi (approx. $5 for 24 hours if I remember correctly)
- not able to boil water with the Keriug coffee maker

Overall, the pros outweighed the cons, hence the 4 stars.

I didn't use any of the hotel facilities so I'm not able to comment on them.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the hotel lobby so at least near one of the side doors so you don't...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
St. Michaels, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Big, broad, flat property, with multiple wings that you have to walk down to get to your room. Comfortable and clean room, but fairly institutional bathroom (didn't get one of the ones pictured in the ad); older property that has been tarted up a bit. Convenient location for travelers going in this direction. Nice black-out curtains and good AC; slept very well. Internet is free for Hilton Honors members. Three big white towels.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
austin, tx
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have stayed in Hilton properties all around the world and as Hilton Honors we usually have had very good stays. This has to be the worst so far. I knew there were going to be issues after reading the reviews, however, it is on the corporate list. Too bad for us! We requested an early check In, but were told the room wasn't yet ready. As we waited in the lobby, 2 parties arrived and were given their rooms. So after about a 1/2 hour we checked with them again, and low and behold our room was ready. Was anyone going to tell us? They watched us sitting there, knew that we were waiting and TOTALLY ignored us. One of the front desk persons was joking with the door man while we waited at the desk to inquire about the room the second time.
Quality of the room: carpet severely stained and gross, weird smell (previously mentioned in a review)-musty, moldy; I'm not sure what it is. The bathroom is small, the layout makes it very difficult to lean over the sink and turn on the bath tap. Who designs these places. The shower was old, and the tile needed a good pressure cleaning.
Everywhere you look, you see employees hanging around outside, smoking, etc. Not one of them has said hello, good day or any acknowledgement whatsoever. Obviously this property could care less about the customer. So, consider the negative reviews accurate and beware.

Room Tip: try the Hampton Inn up the road!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank whendoweleave
ryanson, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
AS always we strive to provide everyone with excellent service.We have literally hundreds of letters and emails that support our service.
Allow me to clarify some of the statements made by this guest.Early checkin is a request not a guarrantee .we are usually full on weekends and try to accommodate all requests but sometimes we cannot.
Guests that may checked in ahead of a another guest more often then not occurs due to different room type coming available before another.
Our employees do not hang around outside and smoke,however very often we may have outside caterers and limo staff that may be in uniform and can be confused with our staff..we try to monitor this activity.
True we are not some new glass and concrete high rise structure,however we are an historic hotel of two stories sitting on 12 beautiful acres .This property has been totally renovated and our site pictures are current.
Finally the 150 plus emplees who work here on a daily basis try very hard to please everyone and we all take it to heart if someone is upset.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is fairly new and looks great from the outside. However, the experience once you reach the front desk is quite a different story. Everyone from the front desk staff all the way to the general manager were horrible. We had a block of rooms for our wedding and they screwed up severely on many reservations, and in many respects. They act majorly inconvenienced when asked the smallest of favors. The Hilton should be ashamed at themselves for the customer service exhibited by this establishment.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunandfun123020
ny
Reviewed 16 July 2012

After over a year of planning my wedding, it went off without a hitch. On July 14, 2012, I had my wedding at the Tarrytown Doubletree. The employees at this hotel are nothing short of a class act. Linda Ferone, the Director of Catering is amazing. She handled my wedding from the start and she made it absolutely fantastic for me. Our guests all complimented us on their rooms, the hotel, the food, the drinks...and of course the delicious cookies upon arrival. Maria Troche, also a gem...she handled my room block for my guests and made everything so easy for me. I would reccommend this hotel not just for a visit but for your next life changing event...I wish I could do it all over again. Thanks for the beautiful memories.

Room Tip: Rooms with the little patios are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family