“My anniversary spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
“My anniversary spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

For the past two years we've gone to the doubletree in tarry town. I love it. It's private, quite, and I have a really good night sleep. The staff is really professional & nice and of course I can't forget - they always remember my cookies. Can't wait to go back next year- see ya then!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I always use trip advisor to choose a hotel but for this trip I stayed at the hotel that gave my event a good rate. I read the reviews and thought it would be fine. Fine it was but that's it. This is an average hotel that has potential to be much more.
Prior reviews complain about the hotel layout yes a bit confusing and some walking but not bad. The hallways are in desperate need of new carpet and the smell of cheap cleaner is overwhelming. Thankfully my room was oder free but a friend of mine had a terrible musty smell .
The beds are great with nice linens and the towels are also quality. The rooms are typical but the lighting is terrible and the bathrooms though nicely remodeled are just too small. If you are in town for an event that requires good makeup application forget it. I was in a room alone and thought this would be impossible with my spouse. No counter space, one sink and bad lighting. I did use the iron and wow I want one it was great.
The coffee maker in the room is fine. Breakfast at the restaurant is typical. The buffet does not look good but off the menu was ok. The service in the restaurant is terrible. As is the case in the bar. Instead of politely giving us last call the bar staff began vacuuming and we were spending good money. There was no table service at the bar. The front desk staff was also lack luster no happy helpfulness there. However housekeeping was friendly and professional.
The shuttle service is great and I was able to get the service each time I required it. When I asked the front desk about the service I was told it was only available if on property so they made it sound like it was a hit or miss service. Again these people need a little lesson in enthusiastic customer service. Our group also had a set rate and were told it would be honored from wednesday to wednesday and when I extended my stay it was not honored.
To summarize this is a typical hotel that is average. If you stay there with the basic need for a good clean comfortable room at a reasonable price you will enjoy your stay. I am very picky and I would consider staying here again based on price, sleep quality and cleanliness. I know the area so need little assistance from staff .
The hotel should consider putting a vanity table with good lighting in the room the rooms are big enough to accommodate something like that

Room Tip: less noisy on upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Alexandria, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The staff at this staff were outstanding! From the front desk to security, the focus on hospitality was beyond what one has become accustomed to in today's world! As a former hotel F&B, I can tell you that the training of this staff made this a great stary! We visit this area three times a year and will not stay in another hotel!

Room Tip: We asked for a lower floor and were very happy with the location.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Cedar City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

This was my 3rd stay at this Doubletree, and I will likely stay here again due to it's close proximity to some family. It's a nice place, well-appointed and frequently used for weddings, receptions and meetings. For some reason however, there always seems to be a musty odor in the hallways and rooms, most noticably on the lower floors. My spouse said it was probably carpet fresh, but I doubt there's such a thing as mildew scented carpet fresh. One other ding was that our room (a junior suite) was next door to the noisiest ice machine I have ever heard. it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake at night but it sure was distracting.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms might smell better.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The Bistro Z restaurant is a great restaurant with delicious food, lovely service and and a charming decor. The Lounge next door is where I had a birthday party for 40 people. We also used the fireside area in the lobby for a cocktail hour. Everyone loved the food, place and staff's attentiveness. The staff are eager to please and very professional. Also, the spa at the hotel is wonderful. Eva of Sweden (also at the W'chester Marriott) now provides the full complement of spa services in the poolside area just down the hall from check-in. Check it out. Hopefully, Carina will continue there. Although we have never stayed in the hotel as guests, most of our out of town visitors do and the rooms are up to date and seem complete. Some rooms are a bit far from the lobby so do ask for a room close to it if this would be a challenge for you. It is so handy right off the thruway. If you need a hotel in the Tarrytown area, or just a place to have lunch or dinner, or a spa treatment, this is the right place for all of the above.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Phoenix, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

the people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. i was made aware of a free shuttle service to the train station that saved me the cost and hassle of getting a cab. i am extremely pleased with the hotel's service.

Room Tip: rooms close to the side door provide easy access to your car.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I was staying for 2 nights.

SERVICE: In the reception as a welcome gift I received 2 cookies. They were warm, so that was pretty nice. I have requested data modification on the receipt and this still was not a problem, staff was very nice and helpful.

HOTEL and ROOMS: I won't be surprised if it appeared that this hotel was Comfort Inn (or something else *Inn) before but after some renovations now it is named Double Tree by Hilton. Rooms are 'kind of luxurious' (normal business rooms) but at the same time you feel that they were like this for a looong time... Maybe it is a matter of the building (inn-ish) or matter of a smell (kind of stuffy, direction: elderly and damp). Stairs and corridors are also like from the Inn - narrow and you feel like you walk on the ground level (you actually do as the hotel has 2 floors (0&1) if I am not mistaken). The overall decoration is pretty depressive: dark and not ideally renovated. Room has business equipment. For all this I paid 200 USD / night - I am aware that this is not the lowest price but I made a booking in advance of 2 days. I think that this is too much.

Overall it is not bad, it is actually pretty good from the business perspective but I will reconsider if I had to pick it for a stay longer than 3 days.

Room Tip: Pick the room on the last floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business