“Good stay in Tarrytown”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was recently in Tarrytown for business and spent most of a week there. I chose the Doubletree because it seemed like the best-positioned hotel for my purposes and I've had consistently good experiences with this chain and the related Hilton family of hotels. This proved to be a good decision because most of the hotels/motels that claim to be in Tarrytown are actually in White Plains and for me that would have added extra miles and dollars to every day's work.

This Doubletree is an older but still nice facility -- the fitness center was being renovated while I was there but the staff arranged a complimentary workout next door at a community center. In fact, the staff at the front desk handled all my many requests with aplomb. I had problems with internet connections at one point; they fixed it within minutes. All in all, a terrific experience, and the staff even pointed out how easy it would be to get to a Yankees game from Tarrytown -- advice that only a torrential rain kept me from following. Definitely will visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: The hotel complex is quite large -- rooms in the back are very quiet but a long walk to the front re...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree in Tarrytown for lodging after a concert while on a "mini-tour" of my favorite band while they were in the NorthEast US. I have done "mini-tours" before, and have chosen hotels poorly in the past. The Doubletree, however, was a great choice. Here's why.
1) Easy location to get on and off the highway, and with the location of Tarrytown, I had options of where I wanted to drive. Headed to Holmdel, NJ, for the PNC Back Amphitheatre, I chose to drive down via the TZ Bridge and avoid NYC. Headed back at midnight, with lighter traffic, I chose to drive back through NYC and get some good views. It took the same amount of time either way. Easy access to the highway, with a choice of routes...excellent location.
2) The property was easy to navigate. There were a few wings to the hotel, but with parking well laid out, I was never far away from an entrance or my room. That is a wonderful thing when getting in at 1:00 am and you're exhausted. Plus, the room I had on the first floor had an entrance into a central courtyard, so I actually had two possibilities of getting into my room, whichever was easiest for me.
3) The lobby, dining area, and rooms were quite nice. The feeling the decor provided simply made me happy, and that helps with long drives before and after the stay.
4) I am always a fan of Doubletree food, and this was no exception. From the warm cookies on arrival (excellent snack for the drive down to the show!) to the early breakfast the following day (love the locks and bagels!) I felt well taken care of.
5) After my stay I needed to drive back home to Maine, on a Friday, in the summer, so I knew traffic was going to be bad the later the day got. I left early and tried to expedite the process. Not only was the check-out process wicked easy, the breakfast staff provided me with a to-go box and silverware (offered to me while they saw me rushing - they could tell I might like it. I didn't actually have to ask for it!) so I could pack a great hot breakfast and eat it on the road. That was an unexpected bonus!

All in all I couldn't have asked for a better experience to help me stay rested, well fed, and get recharged for the next leg of my mini-tour. Doubletree...GREAT JOB!

Room Tip: First floor rooms facing the courtyard have an entrance from both inside the hotel and directly from...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is one of those places where you just know the hotel is run like all hotels should. The hotel staff was especially helpful, polite and welcomed you with a genuine smile. The room was big and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and clean. I thought the breakfast was particularly good. There is a shuttle from the local train station that has very wide working hours. The neighboorhood is very calm and secure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

For the past two years we've gone to the doubletree in tarry town. I love it. It's private, quite, and I have a really good night sleep. The staff is really professional & nice and of course I can't forget - they always remember my cookies. Can't wait to go back next year- see ya then!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I always use trip advisor to choose a hotel but for this trip I stayed at the hotel that gave my event a good rate. I read the reviews and thought it would be fine. Fine it was but that's it. This is an average hotel that has potential to be much more.
Prior reviews complain about the hotel layout yes a bit confusing and some walking but not bad. The hallways are in desperate need of new carpet and the smell of cheap cleaner is overwhelming. Thankfully my room was oder free but a friend of mine had a terrible musty smell .
The beds are great with nice linens and the towels are also quality. The rooms are typical but the lighting is terrible and the bathrooms though nicely remodeled are just too small. If you are in town for an event that requires good makeup application forget it. I was in a room alone and thought this would be impossible with my spouse. No counter space, one sink and bad lighting. I did use the iron and wow I want one it was great.
The coffee maker in the room is fine. Breakfast at the restaurant is typical. The buffet does not look good but off the menu was ok. The service in the restaurant is terrible. As is the case in the bar. Instead of politely giving us last call the bar staff began vacuuming and we were spending good money. There was no table service at the bar. The front desk staff was also lack luster no happy helpfulness there. However housekeeping was friendly and professional.
The shuttle service is great and I was able to get the service each time I required it. When I asked the front desk about the service I was told it was only available if on property so they made it sound like it was a hit or miss service. Again these people need a little lesson in enthusiastic customer service. Our group also had a set rate and were told it would be honored from wednesday to wednesday and when I extended my stay it was not honored.
To summarize this is a typical hotel that is average. If you stay there with the basic need for a good clean comfortable room at a reasonable price you will enjoy your stay. I am very picky and I would consider staying here again based on price, sleep quality and cleanliness. I know the area so need little assistance from staff .
The hotel should consider putting a vanity table with good lighting in the room the rooms are big enough to accommodate something like that

Room Tip: less noisy on upper floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The staff at this staff were outstanding! From the front desk to security, the focus on hospitality was beyond what one has become accustomed to in today's world! As a former hotel F&B, I can tell you that the training of this staff made this a great stary! We visit this area three times a year and will not stay in another hotel!

Room Tip: We asked for a lower floor and were very happy with the location.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This was my 3rd stay at this Doubletree, and I will likely stay here again due to it's close proximity to some family. It's a nice place, well-appointed and frequently used for weddings, receptions and meetings. For some reason however, there always seems to be a musty odor in the hallways and rooms, most noticably on the lower floors. My spouse said it was probably carpet fresh, but I doubt there's such a thing as mildew scented carpet fresh. One other ding was that our room (a junior suite) was next door to the noisiest ice machine I have ever heard. it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake at night but it sure was distracting.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms might smell better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends