“Late check in, smelly room”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Went in for my wedding weekend, and our room was not ready. The front desk attendant saw I was almost fainting and her solution was to give me a cookie and send me to the room my friends had booked. Almost an hour later, we got our "garden" room which smelled like wet dog, not to mention the bad smell of a couple of the pillows. Children running around, screaming all over the hallways made for a very restless sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Linda R, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Maria,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent special occassion stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations through service and atmosphere. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and cleanliness. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The restaurant and lounge service was poor. I repeatedly asked the servers and manager for table service for our table of 12 people, but they just kept pointing fingers at who should help us. A trip to the front desk to speak with the "manager" did not get us anywhere. After another 15 minutes (35 minutes total), we walked across the street to the diner and had wonderful service and a very good meal. Also, room service promised breakfast in 10-15 minutes but that took 35-40 minutes. A call to voice my displeasure resulted in a reply that nobody on site had the authority to reverse the charge. The lobby furnishings and décor are very nice. The rest of the hotel is in desperate need of a makeover with an odd smell of disinfectant permeating the hallways. Bottom line - stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary M

Gary,
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve during your recent dining experience with us. Please know that this is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned with our food and beverage team. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travelled in late for a 1 day meeting from Seattle. I arrived very late in the evening, and worked late with colleagues in the lobby bar. It was unfortunate the bar food and rest closed before I got there, I was starving. Breakfast was decent, nice egg white omelets, standard bucket coffee. Rooms are clean, nice, beds were average.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A few years ago they tore down the Tarrytown Hilton and rebuilt it, opening as the Doubletree by Hilton Tarrytown. Not sure who designed the place, but the elevators don't service all of the "split level" layout of the rooms. The noise level between rooms was also one of the worst I have been in. I have been in several functions at the hotel, but had never stayed there. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tedb548
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Arrived on a Thursday evening and stayed through Tuesday. Coffee available in lobby the a.m. but was a bit late on Saturday a.m. Restaurant convenient for lunch or dinner and food was delicious. Bar was available and convenient. Bartenders were great.

Front desk staff was accommodating and informative when needed. Housekeeping was attentive although got to the room very late in the afternoon.

Bathroom vanity area was so small and cluttered. No room for personal items.

Overall a good experience and I'd go back again.

Room Tip: The first floor levels may require steps in order to get to and from the lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cyndi M

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband, son and I stayed at this hotel for the Memorial Day weekend. Honestly, from the outside, the hotel looks very dated and worn down. However, upon entering, we were quite surprised. The hotel is very clean, with appropriate decor. The bed was soft and there was ample storage space in the room. The only con was the air conditioner. We had it set to the lowest (65F) but the room still did not get very cold. The best part of our stay was the food. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was superb. We opted for room service the next am for breakfast which was equally as great. We will definitely stay here again should we have plans to be in the area. This hotel would be a great option for an in-town getaway as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Diva26
Linda R, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for this five star review! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at the Tarrytown Doubletree on a very busy weekend. The room was comfortable--great sheets! There were a lot of kids running around in the lobby and hallways. The staff looked exhausted and fried by the time I got there late on a Friday night, but they could not have been more cordial and helpful. The building is a bit sprawling and the elevator old and small. It was more pleasant to take the stairs.I had some trouble with my key, and a very kind, polite, young man named Tyrone went back upstairs with me, helped me with my bags and got the key to work for me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo