“Way too cold”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were at this hotel July 11th and 12th for a convention. Everything was nice accept the temperature. It was so cold. Air from the AC vents were blowing down on us in every room we were in. We told the management but nothing ever changed. It stayed cold for the whole event. Everyone was complaining. Why on earth would you keep a place so cold. You should try to keep the guests comfortable. We repeatedly had go outdoors to warm up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jseven42
Linda R, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

We’re sorry to hear we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the temperature issues your group experiences and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.
Linda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for four nights.

First we'll give you the good points. The hotel is nicely located and easily accessed from the highway (Rt. 287, if I remember). The hotel lobby is quite nice with a "lodgey" décor. Also the hotel has a central courtyard with a gazebo, some nice outdoor terraces with fireplaces which would be nice in season. The hotel restaurant served good tasting fare (though prices were high).

Also, the staff, universally, was friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff seemed to do a good job.

Then there are the negatives. First, both our room and some of the conference / seminar spaces had a mildew / mold smell. When we entered our room after being away, it was quite strong, making us all cringe. Some of the public spaces were quite cool but seemed to be very humid (could be that the HVAC systems are not functioning correctly to remove the humidity). This was a bit annoying.

The hotel itself is quite spread out. Moving from the room to the conference spaces seemed to take a long time...there never seemed to be a good direct route.

The beds were soft...too soft. I like a soft bed, but even I found the bed very uncomfortable and had trouble sleeping as did my spouse. Between the mildew small and the bed, she felt rather headachy.

The room layout results in a smaller bathroom that you often find, but with no trade-off gain in the room itself.

The fare in the restaurant was good, as I said, but the costs were high. The breakfast, a good buffet, was about $42 for 2 adults and a child...a but much. Lunches seemed a bit more reasonable, but were still high.

Because of the mold / mildew issues and the beds, I cannot give the hotel a good recommendation at this time. Perhaps not all of the rooms have the mold issue, which would make things somewhat different...but the beds would still be the same.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby if you are attending events at the hotel. Also...when you enter "...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have been here many times, and the staff is always pleasant...some of them even remember my face/name so the check-in is always speedy. Decent fitness room and good breakfast offerings. The rooms can get noisy at some points and parking can be a little difficult when there are conferences or when they're booked, but overall always a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Cindia1580
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I found the public spaces in this hotel acceptable to maybe slightly above average for a "Double Tree". But, the rooms were smelly, the staff was indifferent and rude and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Mark M

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and will keep your comments on guestroom freshness and service in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall, this is a very nice hotel to stay at. It has a rustic feel to the outside with exposed beams and more than adequate parking. Upon check-in, we moved along quickly but noticed that the elevator available to transport guests/luggage is incredibly small so no more than two folks with carry-ons. Also only one elevator in middle of hotel so you may need to do some walking. Other than that, the room assigned to us was fine but the AC unit had soaked the carpeting so we needed to get a room change. That was handled very quickly and professionally, so no issues. Rooms are nice sized and rate was reasonable considering the area and that a block of rooms had been reserved for the Dark Shadows 2014 Lyndhurst convention. Everything was clean and modern and you have access to a 24 hr diner across from the hotel so no worries in case you get the munchies. Hotel pricing for food seemed high but the diner across the street made that a non-issue. Lobby and main sitting area was very spacious and had available couches and seating. Service and Staff were top notch so Kudos to Doubletree for a great stay. We would definitely stay again if the need arose ....

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on the Second Floor towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eminker
Linda R, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I recently spent 3 lovely days here. I found the staff always smiling and extremely accommodating compared to other hotels. The bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever had and the pillows were like fluffy marshmallows. My only complaint was the restaurant. It was outrageously overpriced and the food not very good. The free meal I received at an event I attended was just awful. The chicken was dry and the mushroom raviolis just disgusting. Even one of the actresses poked fun at the meal. Try the diner across the road for better prices and a much bigger selection of food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank donna c
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed when in the Doubletree when the hotel I normally stay at in Yonkers was booked solid. This hotel is right at the foot of the TappanZee bridge and really looks nice from the entrance. I had seen some reviews about how the rooms are arranged and I can understand it. I was lucky that upon check in the desk clerk actually told me "you should park at this side entrance, our hallways are very long and this will get you close to your room. My room was large and very clean with all the comforts normally found at a Hilton brand. The only issue I had was that the door to the bathroom was falling apart. It looked as though the bottom 6 inches of the door had been under water at some point and the wood was badly warped. It was easy to tell that this issue had been there awhile as it was painted over while in that condition. I was in room 269 so if the management reads this review they might want to check that door. I ate one evening at the diner across the street, mistake, but that is for another review.
I did enjoy the lounge just off the lobby, I sat and watched the college world series game there. Nice friendly place with a great bartender.

Room Tip: get directions on best place to park, rooms can be a Looooong way from the lobby
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bluewatergolf

Thank you for staying with us! We hope you return soon.