“They price-gouge you all the way”

Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The grounds of the hotel are lovely but all the rooms need updating, we stayed in a double room on a prior visit and also in the cottage on another visit. The cottage is not advertised and we only noticed it at the front of the hotel after our first stay, there are no photos of it that I could find anywhere so I am adding the photos I took of it, it is so charming on the outside but very strangely designed inside. If you manage to book the Cottage [which is a process unto itself] You'll be charged for 3 rooms to stay there [over triple-rate] as they claim it is 3 rooms when actually it is 2 rooms as the 3rd is a small living room? the outside door of the cottage doesnt lock so we had a couple of staff members just walk right in uninvited, very strange.

Unfortunately we had an endless series of farcical experiences with Sania over a very large group reservation for which we felt completely unappreciated and over-charged at every step of the process. I would never recommend a large party to stay here.
Some of our group was charged extra for 'early check-in' and others werent, even when we checked in together? Also - WHAT HOTEL charges for early check-in???? [answer: this one!!]
The hotel seems more geared towards business conferences where the businesses dont care to write off every added expense.

We had a nice time in the inside pool which was a great respite from the hoards at the outside pool. Again, the whole pool area/gym is in desperate need of an update.

Note to management: Do not bother to write a reply to this review, I've stayed at your hotel twice, will not stay at it again or recommend it. Your staff has a very long way to go in terms of customer service. Not all your guests are staying there on their company's dime. Another reviewer put it perfectly when they said 'Nice place, takes advantage of families' - agreed, though I would amend this to say 'takes advantage' period.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NYC-TRAV-FAM
THECC, Guest Relations Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear NYC-Trav:

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your group event on your second stay. Unfortunately we did not have any Cottage group reservation for the month of September matching your review.

Please reach out to us so we can better understand your reservation/contract issue and hopefully work towards improving your perception of our historic Estate.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We were planning to spend Thanksgiving in the Tarrytown area with our son and his fiance. We had already booked another place to stay and were looking for good restaurant reviews around Tarrytown. When we saw the wonderful reviews for Cellar 49 we were intrigued as we had never heard of Tarrytown House. When we went to the hotel website we were amazed by the photos and descriptions of the property and the accommodations. In short order we cancelled our other reservations and were able to take advantage of a special offer through American Express for a great deal on rooms for the long weekend.
When we arrived at the hotel we discovered that the website had not exaggerated a bit, and that Tarrytown House is truly a unique and wonderful place to stay. Anchored by two historic mansions, the property has been enhanced by modern additions that combine to offer an amazing vacation experience. We had wonderful meals at Cellar 49, enjoyed world class breakfasts in the breathtaking dining room overlooking the Hudson River, relaxed in the cellar lounge with its wonderful game room, and took advantage of the indoor pool and exercise facility.
The staff at Tarrytown House was truly amazing, and we received a level of service that rivals the best we have experienced anywhere. To a person, everyone we encountered was completely professional and responsive to our needs. They went out of their way to greet us by name and treat us with courtesy.
We had a wonderful time during our stay and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in a more modern section because we wanted to be closer to the recreation facility, but wo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
THECC, Director of Sales at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Hello Gary C,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review with our Trip Advisor community. We were thrilled to host you during your Thanksgiving visit to the area and happy to hear we did not dissapoint.

Please consider us again as your travels bring you back to the area as we would love to welcome you back.

All the best in your future travels!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We got married on the day after Thanksgiving at the Mansion at Tappan Hill and reserved rooms for all of our wedding guests at Tarrytown House. We were a giant party and had many requests, all of which were graciously delivered by the incredible staff at Tarrytown House. They were extremely accommodating and generous. We rented out the Tavern for the after party and had a brunch for all of our guests the day after the wedding. We were treated very well and given a great deal for what we were provided. I was very sad to leave such a beautiful place with sincerely caring staff. My only regret was not staying longer! I would recommend this hotel to everyone and cannot wait for our next visit!

Room Tip: The cottage was lovely!

Hello esinger4,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review after your most recent stay at our Estate. We were thrilled to host you and your group for the wedding which brought you in town. We are very happy you were able to experience our Cellar 49 and do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to our property in the near future.

All the best in your future travels!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at this place over Thanksgiving week. Coming with 3 small kids we had booked two rooms online requesting them to be side-by-side, and received a confirmation of our booking. Right before our trip, we called the place to confirm the reservation. They then told us that to have side-by-side and connecting (!) rooms would cost us $100 per day extra. It was too late to book anything else so we had to take it. The fee was supposed to cover the cost of holding connecting rooms for us: however, it was charged daily, which made no sense to me. In the end it increased the cost of our stay by almost 50%. Needless to say that when we got there the hotel was more than half-empty. Clearly they took advantage of us. Nice facility overall, though the rooms are quite average.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Y K
THECC, Guest Relations Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear YK:

Happy Holidays and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with our Trip Advisor community.

Connecting rooms with 2 bedrooms as well as suites are priced higher than our single bedrooms. When you upgraded your 2 individual rooms to a connecting suite with one King Bedroom and a second Double Bedroom those rooms rent for a higher rate than a standard single.

Rooms next to each other or across the hall when these requests can be accommodated for are done without any additional charge nor do we have reservation holding fees.

We are so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving Holiday with us as well as our vast Estate.

If we misunderstood your reservation upgrade please do not hesitate to call us when the Estate re-opens after the holidays on January 6, 2014. Until that time we wish you and your family a safe, happy and healthy holiday season and New Year.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

we came to stay at the tarrytown house for our wedding, after having a very nice experience here 2 years earlier. we were upgraded to a beautiful room in the king's mansion upon arrival. things couldn't be better at the tarrytown house, and then came a snow storm in the New York city area, forcing us to delay our wedding by 1 day. the staff was so accommodating in helping us with our extra night stay, as well as making us feel so comfortable here. thanks to Cheryl Sosa, Miguel Rosario, and Melissa Guzman for being so very helpful.
oh, by the way, the place is beautiful, clean, and impeccably cared for.

Room Tip: upgrade to the mansion if you can
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
THECC, Director of Sales at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Hello eyeman33

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review after your most recent stay at our Estate. We were thrilled to have you return to our property and experience our historic King House for your stay.

We are also happy to hear you experienced a level of service our guests have come to expect when staying with us. We will be sure to pass along your review with Melissa Guzman, Cheryl Sosa, and the entire team here at the property. Our people are truly our #1 asset!

All the best for a safe a healthy holiday season! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Estate in 2014!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

From the moment we entered the property, we knew we were someplace special. That feeling never left during our entire stay here. The grounds were absolutely spectacular - both during the day and at night. Our room was lovely and very comfortable. The staff was accommodating and charming. I look forward to my next visit!

Hello Beth J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your most recent stay with us. We were thrilled to have you as our guest and hope your travels bring you back to the area in the future.

All the best for a happy and healthy holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back to our Estate in 2014!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Tarrytown House is only an hour from our home. But this was a special trip -- a visit to the Tarrytown/Sleep Hollow area in search of an ancestor who arrived from Holland aboard the ship The Fox in 1662. I had hoped to find his grave site at the Old Dutch Church Cemetery. I had hoped that if I did, that when standing over his grave somehow the spirit of the saints that paved a path before me would find a way to send a spiritual message. I found the grave site but the goosebumps I was longing for in standing over the grave did not come; something more special happened.

We arrived at the Tarrytown House before lunch and were greeted at the door by the General Manager, Joe Santore. I did not know who he was and presumed him to be a well-dressed doorman. He greeted us warmly and held the door.

The lobby was well-appointed and in spite of a wedding reception taking place that evening there was no line for check-in.

Mr. Santore walked behind the check-in counter and as we were being checked in he cordially asked what brought us to Tarrytown. I explained that I was on a journey to find an ancestor. He found it interesting and we struck up a conversation. Clearly he was interested in family. He and I had both taken DNA tests in search of our origins. Within moments he turned to the gentleman checking us in and ordered him to provide us with a room upgrade. Often simply being pleasant brings rewards, great and small.

He then asked if we had opted for the breakfast option -- a $25.00 per person add-on. I replied that we had not. He instructed the front desk to provide us with two complimentary coupons for breakfast. What a nice surprise.

A well-spoken bellman escorted us to our room. He had overheard some of the front desk conversation and wished us good fortune in finding what we were looking for. He let us know that he was on duty the next morning and would be interested in learning if we'd been successful or not.

On our way back through the lobby we inquired at the front desk where a good place for lunch in town was. Mr. Santore was still at the desk and gave us three recommendations but strongly suggested a local favorite -- Lefteris Gyro. He told us that we'd likely have to wait 20 to 30 minutes to be seated but it would be worth it.

So off we went on our adventure. As we drove passed Lefteris Gyro looking for a place to park there was indeed a big crowd standing outside the restaurant. We parked and decided to find out how long the wait would be. As we worked our way through the small crowd at the door we were greeted by the owner and asked if we needed a table for two. We said yes and he asked if we preferred inside or outside. It was a lovely day so we asked how long a wait for either table. He responded that he would seat us immediately at the table of our choice. We took a table outside.

The warmth of the people of Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow was beginning to really shine.

We both had the best gyro we'd ever had along with a Coke (yes, a Coke, no Pepsi).

After lunch we proceeded to the north gate for the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. We took a leisurely stroll southward toward the Old Dutch Church burial grounds. Both cemeteries are beautiful. My wife found the marker that signified that we'd crossed onto the Old Dutch Church Cemetery grounds. It took about another 20 minutes of wandering and then there it was; Dirck Storm 1630-1716; a perfectly preserved memorial headstone. But the chills I had wanted signifying a spiritual message did not come.

The Old Dutch Church was closed for the filming of a documentary. I approached a lovely woman standing on the stoop. She introduced herself as the producer and expressed her regrets that the church was closed. She then asked what brought me to the church. I told her I'd just found the headstone of an ancestral patriarch who had arrived in New Amsterdam aboard The Fox in 1662. She asked if I'd ever seen the inside of the church. I told her that I had not. She then invited me up the steps and explained that they were on a break from filming and I should go in a take a few photos. I thanked her and I did.

After strolling back through the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (passing headstones for Washington Irving and mausoleums for Rockefeller and others), we jumped in the car to go visit Philipsburg Manor -- a short drive.

The parking lot was empty. I decided to go to the front entrance to find out the hours -- none were posted. We walked to the side of the visitor's center to get a glimpse of the property and a gentleman was walking across the bridge/dam and asked us to wait a moment. When he arrived he introduced himself and explained the the historic site was closed for the season. He then asked what brought us to the site. Once again I explained that I was in search of an ancestor. After a brief explanation of who my ancestor was he spent about 30 minutes with us explaining the history of the area during the time my ancestor was living there. He provided me with email addresses for the sites genealogist and librarian along with an invitation for asking them to assist me in my ancestral journey.

We returned to Tarrytown House and did a quick change in our room and walked the property to Bittle Castle where the restaurant Cellar 49 is located. We stayed long enough for one cocktail and then did a bit more exploring of the property. It is a genuinely lovely property.

Dinner reservations at Cellar 49 were at 7:30 for us that evening. We were warmly greeted by the hostess. Moments later Joe Santore, the General Manager was table side. He asked me if I'd found what I was looking for that day. We had a brief conversation about how the day had gone. When the waiter arrived we were told that Mr. Santore would like to buy is cocktails if we were interested in ordering. We accepted his gracious offer.

Alone with my wife at the table it hit me -- I wanted goosebumps at a grave site and instead it seems that my ancestor paved a path with warm generosity and of genuine good and decent people -- it was as if Dirck Goris Storm was greeting me to his home. We had been greeted by the General Manager, Joe Santore; we had a room upgrade; we had complimentary coupons for breakfast; after being greeted by the owner, we had no wait at a the incredible Lefteris Gyro Restaurant; we found the headstone without frustration; we'd gained entrance to the closed church; we'd been provided with a history lesson at Philipsburg Manor by the site manager; we'd been gifted cocktails for dinner. Yes! Yes! Yes! The goosebumps hit me; hit me hard.

The setting of the Tarrytown House is stunning. The grounds are impeccable. The rooms are spotless and well-kept. The breakfast is to die for!

Most importantly the management and staff are extraordinary.

Room Tip: We liked the Putnam building -- 3rd floor has views of the Hudson River.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
THECC, Director of Sales at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Hello YankeeNY01-

What a pleasure it was reading your review after your most recent stay at our Estate and visit to the area. Thank you for taking this time out to share with our Trip Advisor community!

It is always special to us when we are able to share in a special journey for our guests. We are extremley delighted that we were able to be a part of this for you, and that our Estate will have a special place in your memory.

Please visit us again perhaps during the spring when many of our local historic attractions re-open for tours. Of course our Cellar 49 will be here to accomodate you and the service you experience from our General Manager is indicative of what all our associates extend to our guests each and every weekend.

All the best in your future travels and hope to welcome you back to the Estate in the near future!