The hotel is in a beautiful setting. Some of the buildings on the grounds belonged to Biddle and to Duke money (information can be found on their web site as to their history).
The rooms are housed in newer modern buildings and while nicely appointed it is A MAZE just to find your way through the hallways! Our room was on the 1st floor, the elevator is hard to find once you are where the rooms are, once you do find it it only goes to the 3rd floor! The lobby is on the 5th floor! We got lost so many times trying to navigate the hallways! And we weren't the only ones. Other guests would stop us and ask us how to get somewhere in the hotel and we could not help them anymore than how we were helping ourselves!
The easiest way to get to our rooms was to park in one of the lots closest to our section. Sounds great, until you get there and have to lug your suitcase uphill to the entrance. Then it's a series of steps! The entrance to our building took us to the 2nd floor and being on the 1st floor we had to walk down the steps, usually not a problem but with luggage this is not so easy!
Everytime we asked someone that worked at the hotel how the best way to get from our room to where ever we wanted to go in the hotel we got different answers and always ended up in a strange unfamiliar location!
When they added the hotel wings couldn't they have made the eleavator go to every floor!!!
The signage is very bad too. Believe me when I say that the place was a maze. Easy to get lost in (which is not a comfortable feeling).
If handicapped I would imagine that they would have certain rooms set aside for that purpose and for those that simply can not handle the steep hills and many steps just to get to their room.
We also remarked that in case of a fire we would just break the window of our room and go out that way (we were on the 1st floor after all). To go any other way would be a maze!
I would stay here again as the location is great for the Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow area. The rooms are nice, the staff is friendly and their restaurant Cellar 49 is well worth the trip too!
Next time I am asking for a room that is not so hard to get to though!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 25 miles from Midtown Manhattan this estate blends historical charm with modern conveniences. Residing on 26-acres overlooking the Lower Hudson River Valley, well-appointed lodging is found at Tarrytown House Estate, featuring impressive 19th-century mansions - King Mansion and Biddle Mansion - a Carriage House and The Cottage. A Perfect getaway for a weekend adult escape from the city or a destination wedding. Tarrytown House Estate offers luxurious Hudson Valley lodging and amenities. This landmark hotel in Westchester, NY features extensive leisure and recreational facilities such as a fitness center, family friendly heated indoor pool and a seasonal adult only outdoor pool. The estate also offers seasonal/complimentary basketball, volleyball, bocce, horse-shoes and tennis courts. Historic Westchester County proves to enhance a visitor's Hudson Valley lodging experience with incredible opportunities for Hudson River Valley antiquing, boating, hiking and sightseeing. Enjoy any or all of these activities among the rich and historic atmosphere known as home to Westchester, New York's famous sites including the Washington Irving's Sunnyside, Philipsburg Manor and the spectacular Rockefeller estate, Kykuit. While staying at Tarrytown House Estate, guests can experience the many attractions that the Hudson Valley has to offer including the scenic Hudson Park, Neuberger Museum of Art, Grand Prix New York Racing, and the Cortlandt Heritage Museum. The hotel is also located only 5 miles away from Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture where guests can enjoy various dishes made from locally grown produce and ingredients at the center's restaurant, Blue Hill at Stone Barns. The hotel is also near the United States Military Academy at West Point, offering convenient accommodations during graduation or family events at the academy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tarrytown House Estate On The Hudson Hotel Tarrytown
- Tarrytown Hotel Estate
- Tarrytown House Hotel
- Dolce Tarrytown House
- Tarrytown Dolce House
- Tarrytown House Estate On The Hudson New York - Westchester County