“Everything a business hotel should be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westchester Marriott

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Everything a business hotel should be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Very nice accomodations. Very comfortable beds. Good location. Quiet. Everything you want from a business hotel. Highly recommend and will stay there again

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Astoria, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

I had my wedding party stay here and I did as well. The outside of the hotel looks old, but the lobby area looks new and renovated. The pool area looks pretty nice too, but I did not have time to use it.

First the positives: 1) the rate was very reasonable for the NYC area, 2) the front desk staff was very friendly, they distributed our guest gift bags well, 3) our room had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne in it, 4) room service breakfast food was pretty good.

Negatives: 1) the night before the wedding, they cancelled one of my guests' rooms for no reason. My guest received an email while we were out at dinner and had to spend an hour on the phone with them to restore the room and figure out why it happened. 2) they double assigned 2 of our guests' rooms, assigning a second guest that room. While my guests were in their rooms, another guest used their newly assigned key and opened the door. What if my guests were not in their room and total strangers entered their room with all their belongings in them? That is completely unacceptable. 3) After we returned from the wedding late at night, one of my guests inadvertantly lightly tapped a security camera dome. The dome shifted and dislodged, so it was hanging by a chain. Security rushed out and accused him of destroying hotel property. When we argued with them, they threatened to call the police and actually did make a call to the police. I asked for the security guard's card and info and in turn, he demanded my info to write in his notebook even though I was not a party to his situation. He stated that A) they have a very good relationship with the Westchester Police and B) if we were in NYC, we'd be in jail already. The dome was put back in place in less than 2 minutes with a simple screwdriver. I felt that they overreacted.

After the complaints to the hotel GM, the resolution was that they would retrain their staff re: the room assignments and the security issue was our fault.

Avoid, avoid, avoid. This hotel almost managed to ruin my wedding and threatened to throw me in jail for something one of my guests accidently did. I can't overstate how bad my experience was and how they failed to do anything at all to make up for it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Andy L
New Haven CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Everything was wonderful; the room, the food, the staff, the pool!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed with a friend who was in Tarrytown for business. This hotel definitely is for the business customer. It is isolated with none of the tourist sites within walking distance or anything within walking distance that I could see. The hotel towncar wanted over $50 each direction to drive to one of the local historical sites.

It did not have a refrig or microwave.

Buffet breakfast was very good and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Babylon, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend trip away. This is a very large hotel - seems more like a convention center - and I'm surprised it doesn't mention that in the title. On the weekend I was there, I was told there there were 4 weddings staying there, along with a convention. The staff was very nice and courteous. The hotel, on the other hand, missed the mark a little. While the lobby looked nice and newly renovated, the rest of the place could use a good remodel. The hallways looked dingy and many of them had stray furniture gathered in them and missing curtains, especially on the 4th floor where I stayed. The whole place just looked a little unkempt. The room was okay, but really didn't appear too clean...the bathroom walls and mirror had spatters of a previous guests' toothpaste (a major pet peeve of mine) and very gross to look at! I have stayed at dozens of Marriott's before and must say that this breakfast buffet was the most taste-less. Cold eggs, bacon and sausage. Fresh omelets were good. I ordered crunchy french toast and got regular. Granted - with 4 weddings and a convention - the breakfast crowd was huge...but I've been at busier hotels in Manhattan and it was never that bad. I will say that I had the best 2 night's sleep ever - with all of those people staying there, you couldn't hear a thing at night. So if you are looking for a nice quiet place to stay that is "clean enough" and close to many of the area attractions - this is the place!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room overlooking the pool...noisy during the day...but totally quiet at night.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jespo2
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

The staff was very polite and helpful. I had not booked us for the higher breakfast rate until they pointed out that I could do this on one room and not the other, getting breakfast for the whole family in the bargain. That was nice. The place is inexpensive but clean and well-kept. The pool is technically indoors but has a skylight open to the air in summer which makes it very nice and we hung out with my son there for a few hours in the morning. Hot tub, too. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wtkorn
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Staff was very accomodating at check in and room was very clean but small as is usually the ce in NY. Fitness Center was nice. Could not find a bellman which was the only problem. Food in the concierge lounge was nice and fruit selection at breakfast buffet very nice. The bagels were lame considering it was new york they could do better than frozen plain bagels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family