“Excellent Hotel in Tarrytown” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westchester Marriott

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Hotel in Tarrytown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Spent a few days in the Lower Hudson Valley and stayed at the Marriott in Tarrytown. The hotel was excellent. Good location close to Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow and White Plains. Rooms are typical Marriott...clean, good size and quiet.

We would definitely stay here on our next visit.

Room Tip: My wife had a massage at the spa and said it was just fair.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Mount Kisco, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

This Marriott provides you with a comfortable, clean, quiet room and the staff is great. The restaurant has numerous choices and they have a Ruth's Chris Steak House on premise, if you want that experience, too. The location is very convenient to multiple highways, so there's easy access to many places in Westchester.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

If u r a family of 2 adults and 1 or 2 kids, I highly recommend paying the extra $20 for breakfast when making reservation as it covers 2 adults and 2 kids. . Food at their restaurant was very good.
. If you pay at the restaurant it will cost you much more. Maybe around $60. Water in swimming pool was nice and warm. One thing I didn't Lin was their elevator system. U press a button for your floor and the system assigns you which elevator to take. It was a but confusing at first since I was not familiar with it. My 2 year old daughter got stranded out on the floor for a few minutes as she exited and I took a little long to get luggage out. Elevators doors closed and took us back to first floor. Then I took another elevator but didn't take us to the right floor as I took the wrong elevator. Inside the elevator there is no panel where you choose the floor you want to go. You have to choose before you go on it. Tried looking at stair well to get to my daughter faster so i looked for exit signs on corridor but on door there were sign "staff only" so I didn't think they were exit stairs....so ended up running around.... It was a rough start but it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Ardsley, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Upon entering the Westchester Marriott Hotel one feels as if one has entered a contemporary, sophisticated hotel. The lobby is open, fresh, with a business section (computers for guest's use), a section for watching TV, a section for relaxing, etc. One enters the pool from the lobby, which has also been updated with lovely plantings, seating areas, a good balance between lounge chairs and table seating as well as a retractable roof for hot summer sunny days.

There is a new in house restaurant besides Ruth Chris to choose from for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Cooper's has a Western casual feel to it. Every morning a buffet breakfast is served until noon; which is quite nice. Now, I have been coming to this hotel for over 25 years, thus I have a basis of comparison and therefore I have to say that the buffet is not as plentiful as it once was. That being said, it is still adequate to begin the morning. I would like to see nuts (almonds or walnuts) and blueberries added to the fruit selection as well as a good plain yogurt(i.e. Greek non fat). There was confusion regarding coupons for Platinum Status and what they include. We found out that the coupons are new and the waiters had not been well briefed at the time of our visit. The chef was very flexible with the lunch and dinner salad that I requested, added more spinach, as well as some goat cheese and walnuts that were not candied to the salad. I specified NO Dressing, as I am allergic to garlic and when a room service order error was made, it was taken back immediately and I was offered a complimentary glass of wine or other beverage to make up for the error; which was a lovely touch.

As far as the rooms were concerned, they are dated and worn, even on the Concierge level. During my stay I asked at the front desk if there were plans in the near future to redo the rooms. The answer was, you need to ask the General Manager. Specifically, the carpets need not just a cleaning but a complete change. The mattress was oversized for the box spring and just hung over about 4-5 inches on my side of the bed. The sheets did not fit the mattress correctly and therefore they did not lay flat on the mattress and were uncomfortable.

The hotel supervisor on duty was kind enough to allow us to bring our small dog with us as we had to stay four nights due a renovation in our home. The first room we had-"The Pet Room" was not acceptable as the carpet had not been cleaned and had sticky stuff on it. We finally had to move when the ants came out and began "marching" all over the room, There were hundreds of them. At least our second room on the Concierge level was clean. Of course, our dog is very clean, we even gave her a bath before we went to the hotel and we walked her whenever she needed to go out. Maybe some dog owners are sloppy. Even so, prior to a check in, the room should be cleaned.

All in all, we love Marriott hotels, are Platinum Members and that is why we want to be honest about our experience with the Westchester Marriott because they have the potential to be a top hotel. The rooms however, need to be updated. We will however, return and hope that the next phase of renovations will be in the rooms.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ronales
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here on a Friday night for what I think was a mistake of a AAA rate($84) considering the normal rates for this area! Regardless we were very satisfied with our rate/stay.

The hotel is right near the junction of 287, 87, 121, and a couple parkways. There is plenty of free parking. It's a pretty typical Marriott, this one is the style where the pool is in a big open area in the middle with several floors and interior rooms that face it. There is a Ruth Chris steakhouse along with another restaurant which looks nice but is your pretty typical fairly expensive hotel restaurant.

The elevators: They are like others have said, instead of pressing simply UP or DOWN to call one of the four elevators you press on a touchscreen what floor you want to go to and it shows an elevator: A,B,C, or D that will take you there. You get in and the elevator goes to your floor, there are no conventional individual floor buttons in the elevators. It's a neat system and as an engineer I appreciate the efficiency of this system and algorithms. That being said, this is a simple 10 story hotel and this kind of system would be more appropriate for a center city high rise or big corporate headquarters type buildings. Most people at a hotel like this will be confused and frustrated. However I do give the hotel and Marriott credit for trying to modernize something as mundane as the elevators.

We had no issues checking in and as a Gold Elite member I was upgraded to a room on the concierge level which was super quiet we didn't hear a peep despite a couple wedding groups staying at the hotel. The room was clean as it should be, bathroom had a good shower. The HDTV was about 10 years old and while the plug in panel made plugging in my laptop a breeze, it didn't look so great on a 10 year old LCD panel and the HD channels just looked meh. One thing that was subpar was the AC, setting the thermostat on 60 and fan on high didn't really get the room cold enough for sleeping.

We had breakfast at the coopers mill restaurant which was free for Gold members since the lounge is closed on weekends. The "free" breakfast is usually $13(wow!) and just consists of yogurt, fruit, muffins, cereal, nothing hot. For $5(or $18 normally!!) you get hot things like eggs, bacon, etc. Both included coffee and juice. It was fine but totally not worth $13 or $18 just like any other Marriott. That and the $12 for internet at Marriott hotels is a joke. Both are free for Gold members but still should be free, if not on the weekends at least so they only rape business people who will buy it since their company pays for it.

For the rate we got our stay was fine but if I paid a normal weekend rate I might be a bit disappointed. If we ever stumble on a rate like this again we'd probably stay again the pros definitely outweigh the cons here.

nanuet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Totally updated and beautiful!! Hadn't been here for a few years and was pleasantly surprised at the new look! The staff was super friendly and attentive. Had some issues with working "new elevator" system..there is a keypad outside the elevator and instead of pressing the button you press the floor you need on the keypad. It then tells you which elevator to go to a-b-c or d. Once you get in the elevator you cannot press any other buttons.there are no longer floor buttons in the elevator... The front desk says it is part of a huge system going in where eventually you will be able to put your room card in and it will take you there. Personally I didn't find the old system in need of a change! Are we so spoiled that we can't press a button? Anyway, card key to my room blanked out twice....so annoying! And no, I don't put it in the same pocket or near my cell phone.. THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE UPDATING!! These freakin card keys that are so sensitive!
Entire place is beautiful and updated.. Bed was soft but comfy and spotless! Love the duvet covers that are or seem washable ...much better than old comforters that everyone sleeps on! Small fridge in room is ALWAYS a pleasure..thank you....breakfast buffet was amazing and delish! Lots of breakfast choices...beautiful little restaurant!
Problems: hot tub/ whirlpool states no children, no food or drinks...so why are there children in there...why is a mother using the skimmer to retrieve and remove apple pieces that her kid threw in!! Why is THIS rule not enforced? But as soon as I put my red solo cup down, security came running over to tell me to move it! Ridiculous! This place ends a children's pool for sure! Keep them OUT of the whirlpool..I have NO problem with handicap lifts for the pool but they should be put to the side when not needed..how many handicap people go in the pool? They are clumsy and not needed on the floor when NOT in use. Please..no offense to anyone here!!
Lastly, get some music in there! The restroom is dead silent by the restaurant..please can we hear something in the bathroom to mask the sounds of people doing there "business"! And put some lively music in the "lounge" we were there Saturday night and there was nothing at all going on there! Boring! Anyway, fantastic hotel at a fabulous price..we paid $119 WITH breakfast buffet on a Saturday night! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Philadelphia Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Would definitely stay there again. The staff was friendly and helpful. The public areas were pretty to look at as well as being clean. The room was standard, but very comfortable. Unfortunately for us, there was a Little League team (11 year olds) staying there the same weekend as us and took over the pool area with little to no adult supervision. So much for relaxing poolside.