“Treated like Royalty”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Treated like Royalty”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We had earned a free night with our Marriott points, so not wanting to go to far from home we decided to get in the car and head to Tarrytown, NY. The area is beautiful with so much to do and see. The Westchester Marriott is magnificent, our room had a small bar area/kitchen type set up, large windows huge living room and bedroom & bath. The workout room was nice and the pool with separate hot tub was so relaxing! A perfect place to get away all we were looking to do was read & relax and dine. Fun place, clean and convenient with great restaurants. try the Steak House.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Cumberland, RI
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on multiple occasions for business. I have never been overly impressed with it but never felt the need to complain or not book again as it is convenient for work. I stayed here the week of 11/4 for two nights and had the worst experience. The two biggest issues were 1) the evacuation alarm went off repeatedly for us to immediately evacuate our rooms and exit the hotel - this happened in the middle of the night on three separate occasions and required us to stand in the cold parking lot in bed clothes for over 30 minutes each while the local fire department swept the hotel. This also happened on my last morning at 6am as I was in the shower - again forcing me out of the shower, quickly into clothes soaking wet out into the cold. Not only is that absurd there were NO fire or smoke issues each time! I am not sure if this was a faulty alarm issue or not but honestly I don't care. It was ridiculous. I had early morning wake-up calls for meetings after being up all night and I also lost 35 minutes of time to get ready for work after racing out of the shower. That resulted in me attending a key meeting late which was the entire reason I was in town. Completely unacceptable.

The other issue here is that the parking lot is large but they have 2 restaurants in addition to the hotel. I pay a nightly rate to stay and guess what - I CANNOT GET A PARKING SPACE! Imagine returning to your hotel and you cannot park - anywhere! On the second night I was there I literally drove around the parking lot for 25 minutes waiting for someone to leave so I could get a spot. That spot was very far from the door and in a dark corner, it did not feel safe but I had no choice.

I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

Room Tip: Although I asked for a room closer to the elevator (for safety reasons) I was down two hallways and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank ErinBRI
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This Marriott was older but well maintained and was very equipped to handle the large amount of people that were there from Pepsico 400+. The rooms as well as the other areas of the hotel were clean and well maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Boca Raton
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. The first room they gave us had not been properly cleaned, had mold on the box spring, and had an unusually strong fragrance in the room which I imagine was to cover up another scent. They switched us to another room which was slightly better, but did not have working heat.
After getting in the new room we were not able to find a room service menu so we called for one. After half an hour of waiting for it, I went downstairs to get one, which took an additional 20 minutes.

To top off the first night there, a fire alarm went off at 6 in the morning and myself, my wife and two year old rushed outside to the 35 degree weather improperly dressed. It was a false alarm.

Our third and last night there, we had another fire alarm, which of course was a false alarm.

The best thing about this hotel is the food, however the service was painfully slow.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Chache15
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel during my friend's wedding, and were very happy with it. The room was a good size, very clean, and I liked the bathroom design. Check in and check out was very prompt and efficient. We weren't there long, but we have no complaints! Would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hebron, Maryland
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed at Marriott for our high school reunion. A lot had changed since I moved away 33 years ago. Road signage was small and hard to see. Room was fine but air conditioning didn't work too well. I think they overbooked for the banquet. We weren't eating dinner until very late 8:30p or 8:45p. The food was great but wine prices were very high, but maybe that is New York??

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I booked on line for the Marriott/Westchester in Tarrytown New York and requested:
1. Quite room
2. High floor
3. Refrigerator
4. Late Arrival
5. Double Beds.
We got three out of the five requests. The Quite room had signs posted for quiet between 10pm and 8am. Our room was right next door to the Presidents Suite which was hosting a party that lasted well into the night. We asked at the front desk and were told to check back around 10pm with the front desk. We toughed it out and finally called down around midnight and were told that security would be up. It did not arrive. Ever. Doors slammed, voices could be heard all down the hall and more.
This hotel has been somewhat upgraded but not to the price of $269 per night. Our room rugs were dirty and beat. There is no room in the bath for a women’s’ supplies of cosmetics. The light was dim in the bath and make-up could not be applied there. We were given a king room that had not been used in a long time as it had limited linen until the next day when the room was made up. There was a chair in the room that needed a foot stool to be comfortable, but it had none. The floor lamp by the chair didn’t work.
The lobby had been somewhat upgraded but it has a long way to go to be useable. No privacy and little space for seating.
The breakfast restaurant is also a bar. Pricey, service not so hot on the weekend. There is a buffet but if you don’t eat $18.00 worth of food in one sitting than it is not useful. The average breakfast for two people was $40.00 with tip. My order was not correct on either day, and the servers did not check back except to bring the check. The food was just so-so when it did arrive.
They were busy on the weekend, with three weddings and several other events including a reunion. The best service person we encountered was the bellman. He was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room as the groups are normally on the lower floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrea L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
#7 of 7 in Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Westchester Marriott? Share your experiences!