“Very good = not that bad- I'm not good with titles.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westchester Marriott

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
East Coast
“Very good = not that bad- I'm not good with titles.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for a week while I was on business. The hotel is nice and has a good layout. The elevators seem state of the art which I'm not sure if anyone would stay here for the elevators. I liked that the hotel had restaurants in it. After, a long day of work, travel, or fun it's nice not having to think about where to go. The exercise and pool facilities were excellent.
The reason I did not give it a 5/5 was some minor cleanliness issues (dirty curtains) and the fact that you had to pay for wifi (it was ~$12/day). However, most rates include it. I also did not like that there was no free breakfast, again I think that depends how you purchase the room.

Room Tip: Try Cooper's Mill restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Although this is based on a stay of only one night, I travel enough to know that even that can be easily botched by a bad property. Gratefully, this wasn't the case at the Westchester Marriott. Initially I had picked it because of the convenience of having Ruth's Chris connected to the hotel. Food, drink, sleep. But the friendliness of the staff and the amenities offered by the property, raised my interest. It's a full service hotel located across from a business plaza, so it obviously caters to business clientele. Therefore, check in was swift, efficient and with a smile. I was prepared for less than that because we prepaid through a discount third party site, but we were treated just as nicely and professionally as if we had paid rack rate. Kudos to the Front Desk Staff.
The rooms are comfortably consistent with the Marriot product. Clean and roomy with a flat screen TV. The bed was comfortable with a duvet and nice soft pillows (which work for me). The bathroom was of average size with good water pressure and very nice shampoos and soaps. I was pleasantly surprised that we had a small balcony that looked into the atrium where the pool and hot tub are located.
The pool is freeform and large for an interior pool. No diving though. They also have a proper hot tub with working jets. You have to search for the timer though. It's located on the column next to the hot tub's lift for the physically challenged (trying to be PC here).
If you're looking for the fitness center, it's downstairs in the basement level. You can access it from the pool area. I didn't have time to use it, but it was a big area and seemed well equipped.
Another surprise was that there was a day spa on premises. Tatiana's had a full menu of services so if you're there for an event, you don't have far to go.
It does seem popular for weddings though since I noticed a lot of welcome gifts for incoming guests. That's a hint in case you want to avoid being stuck on a floor where the after party is happening. If you see that in your case, you might want to take the opportunity to request a room in a quieter area. The hotel is big enough, so unless it's sold out, that shouldn't be a problem.
All things considered, we had a great stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Be observant when checking in. If you see wedding gifts behind the front counter or a crowded lobby...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Larryort
Haarlem, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Apparently, a local college puts their students up in the Westchester Marriott. There is a school security guard in addition to the hotel's security. Blasting music and the usual noise and hustle and bustle you would associate with a college dorm. When you call the front desk, they very purposefully do not tell you about the students. We found out from a hotel employee who was walking about. For the rates this hotel is charging, you'd be better off at a competitor without the dorm atmosphere - unless you like that sort of thing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Paul G, Manager at Westchester Marriott, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay at our hotel. Please rest assured that our many years of success operating in Westchester, have been built upon the fact that we take great pride in offering a secure and restful environment for all our guests. We are always committed to making all of our guests satisfied. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 914-333-1202. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here overnight on business. I didn't have a car so the area has nothing within in walking distance. It was a $20 cab ride to nearby White Plains to get out for the afternoon and $15 to the Metro North train station.
The hotel itself is nice. The lobby is welcoming, spacious and quite inviting. Lobby bar very nice, comfortable and friendly service. Check in was very nice and professional. At check in it was confirmed the room I had (always like that) I was asked how my trip in was.
The room itself (#239) was basically a typical Marriott room. Nothing really characteristic or local aspect to the room. Very comfortable bed, air cooling system that worked well and great internet connection (very fast!).
I read some of the other reviews and I had a much different experience with the hotel staff, that is, I had many welcoming comments, greetings of hello, etc. from the staff.
Negatives - I would have to say the bathroom is very tiny. Many of the tv stations did not work. I kept getting signal issues. Also, the concierge lounge is not open on Sunday evenings. Most Marriott hotels have concierge lounge access on Sunday evenings particularly for people like me who are there on Sundays for Monday a.m. meetings.
Other than that the hotel is very nice.

5 Thank Brklynrider
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was here for a business conference. We were supposed to be in a room with 2 beds, we ended up in a room with 1 king and a pull out, the pull out is a joke, like sleeping on a slinky....When I called to ask if there was anything else they could do, they said they would send up more padding, when it came it was a mattress cover and the house keeper refused to put it on. So we had to remake the bed ourselves.
Food was just average for banquet food. Drinks in the bar were very expensive. I didn't find any of the staff to be overly friendly. Most just walked by in the hallway and didn't even look at you.

Room Tip: Elevators you have to pick the floor you are going to and then get on the one it tells you, don'...
1 Thank britgirl1266
Paul G, Manager at Westchester Marriott, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to add a review of our hotel and sharing your experience with the Westchester Marriott. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory. I do apologize for the issues you experienced in not receiving the room type you requested and the way the situation was handled. This is far from the standards we commonly maintain and certainly not the level of service you deserve as one of our valued hotel guests. I have shared your comments with our front desk manager in an effort to resolve these issues so that no other guest will be similarly inconvenienced. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 914-333-1202. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at this Hotel the beginning of April. We took 2 rooms for my grandchildren and daughters. After we returned to the hotel in the evening we were met with a party next door in which the parties were using marijuana. After a call to the front desk, one member of the hotel security showed up. Rather than contacting the police and throwing the parties out, security ended the party and allowed the people who were staying in the room to remain. This was outrageous to us. We had children under 10 that were kept up until after midnight with noise in the hall, the constant smell of drugs and fear of reprisal. What did management do....give us a 25 dollar reduction of room prices. One of the reductions was credited and we have yet to receive the other and are fighting for it with AMEX.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Paul G, Manager at Westchester Marriott, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Westchester Marriott. We appreciate your comments and recognize the importance of your feedback in improving hotel operations. I do apologize for the issues you experienced with the smell of smoke and noise in the hallway. We take the safety and security of our guest very seriously and do our best to maintain a secure environment for all of our guest. I have shared your comments with our security leadership in an effort to resolve these issues so that no other guest will be similarly inconvenienced. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 914-333-1202. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I love to stay here when I go for business in Westchester county.. Conveniently located near the major highways..free and huge parking space.. the hotel's concierge lounge offers to its platinum and gold members one of the best food menus comparing to other US Marriott locations. Charming swimming pool and hot tub as well as good size well equipped gym... Excellent hotel..Highly recommended!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business