“Extremely disappointed in a restaurant our family and friends have enjoyed for many years”

Santa FE Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Tivoli
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

What a terrible experience at Santa Fe in Tivoli this past week. We arrived for a later dinner and were seated at a table with a bowl of stale chips and two glasses of water. We waited.....and waited..... for service. A young guy kept passing by but failed to acknowledge us until after about 15 minutes when he finally says 'Oh are you being helped?' I asked him to remove the items on the table and replace them (obviously the prior customers left without ordering). He returned and cleaned half the table only, leaving my side dirty. So because I didn't want conflict, I cleaned it myself. We ordered the usual enchiladas tipico $15.95 which arrived over-cooked. Since it was late, I didn't return the dinners. As we are sitting there, the noise surrounding us was very escalated. I look around at all the tables and realize they are filled with young people drinking beers and eating chicken wings. So I look at the board and note it's
'wing' night at this authentic Mexican restaurant. I couldn't wait to leave as I was getting totally stressed eating my dinner with all the noise and shouting in a place we once so enjoyed dining at. Half eaten, I boxed up our dinners (another lengthy process waiting for the waiter who completely disappeared and had to ask someone else to help us). On top of all of it, this waiter was totally rude and unfriendly. He
never smiled, thanked me, and was the most obnoxious employee I have ever encountered at a restaurant. This is the first time in my life I did not want to leave a tip at all but felt obligated. Because of this experience, I will NEVER bring my family and friends to Santa Fe again. It's obvious with the opening of an additional restaurant locally, owner is allowing this one to go downhill. What a shame.

1  Thank jeanne819

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Santa Fe's Puerto Angel burrito is the best I've ever had! The margaritas, the salsa and chips, as well as the fresh mesclun salad is just amazing! We have dined there many times over the years when we lived in Rhinebeck! Now that we live in Florida it is one of our favorite destinations to return to and the food is always as good as we remember! Cannot wait to return there and enjoy more of the wonderful food.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Always a reliable fine dining experience. Perfect flavors with options to spice things up thermonuclear if that's what you desire. Fish tacos in both salmon and swordfish are delicious. Make a reservation, Santa Fe is packed on Saturday night. Parking is a challenge, but that's Tivoli's fault, not the restaurants. This place is a bit out of the way, so we combine it on the return trip home from shopping in Kingston. SF has great decor and ambiance, not the cheesy Wal-Mart esque type you see so often in Mexican places. Margaritas are very good, but need to be served in Margarita glasses. Friendly, helpful wait staff, but perhaps a bit understaffed when the place is packed. Give it a try.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Have eaten in a lot of Mexican restaurants. The food at Santa Fe was tasty and well-prepared and the service and ambiance are excellent. Santa Fe would definitely be a hit in NYC.

Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Ate at Santa Fe with friends last Friday. It was chaotic. We had a reservation but were early so wanted to wait at the bar for friends. The hostess could not grasp this concept and kept trying to seat us. First impression: it was soooooo hot inside. We were uncomfortable as visibly were other diners inside. To make it worse they seated us near the open kitchen and we ran out of lukewarm water (no ice?????). Food was good. I had fish tacos, and although overpriced they were tasty. Couldn't finish them in that heat. Might try again in cooler weather, but first impressions are hard to overcome. Skip.

2  Thank woozel