“new management again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“new management again”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

i have visited this hotel several times and it seems to change management regularly but this time it was friendly cheerful and spotlessly clean. The only thing that seems to be the same is the brilliant eva who makes breakfast enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My friend and I booked one of the Old English Inns Christmas 2 night breaks at the hotel. We arrived at lunchtime on Christmas Eve with trepidation due to the horrendous rain and flood warnings for the area and were welcomed very warmly by Andrew on the reception. The rooms were clean and fairly comfortable but the bathrooms do require a little updating. Being a light sleeper the noise from the heating pipes did keep me awake. The rooms were very hot even though I had the heating turned off but the weather was particularly mild for the time of year. The hotel is set in the lovely location by the river and would be lovely in the summertime when it is not flooded. Some of the rooms overlook the river and it would be great if they had balconies or lower windows to maximize the views which are exceptional.

The food was very good, we had a nice dinner on Christmas Eve, breakfast and lunch on Xmas Day and breakfast on Boxing Day, all served fresh and hot with good service. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful, the lady who looked after us at breakfast was exceptional as were the two cleaning ladies who were very cheerful, friendly and helpful even though they were working on Christmas Day.

We did overhear one or two people complaining but felt their complaints were totally unfounded. I would recommend the hotel on a good value for money basis and would like to thank all the staff who worked over Christmas to give all the guests an enjoyable time, and would definitely return to the hotel again......

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the river
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Its difficult for me to give this place a bad review because I didnt actually stay in one of the rooms so I will cirtique the elements I used as I was a guest at a wedding and spent the day there.

Location - next to a river which is nice, in the middle of a council estate which is less nice

Car park - good, plenty of space, no charge

Bar - Greene King Pub with a wide variety of Ales ranging from Speckled Hen/IPA etc, good choice of lagers and wines. Im not a wine buff but what I tasted seemed ok - others were less impressed with the selection.

Welcome on arrival - non existant, had to find our own way into reception area where guests were.

Staff - friendly and helpful although pub staff not restaraunt or event staff so expect dropped forks etc not silver service - very good overall though.

Food - excellent couldnt complain at any of the courses

reception hall - fine, werent bothered by other customers in venue and pretty self contained

Late drinks - no drinks for residents - big no no for me this and needs to made clear to guests before the embark on their evenings ebntertainment - wasnt expecting an 11pm cut off - not fun.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank axlrocky
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to The Riverside. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and found our team members to be friendly and helpful, and that you found our food to be excellent. We can only apologise that due to our licensing restriction we were not able to serve you after midnight, without breaking the law. We do make this very clear to all of our brides and grooms before they book their wedding, and if a late bar is required we can always apply for a temporary late license, but we usually find that most people have had enough to drink come midnight. We trust that you were able to get more drinks at the hotel that you stayed at.
Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I arrived at 6pm and was met at reception by Andrew, who was courteous, friendly and welcoming. The bar and the restaurant are lovely and cosy ,the food is hot and delicious with good fast service. Breakfast is a delight served by Eva, whom I found to be very friendly and efficient, nothing was too much trouble for her.The staff at the Riverside could not be better.I absolutely can recommend the pub/restaurant .
Then there was my room, which was awful, the main wall at the foot of my bed was seriously damp with the paint peeling and flaking over a large area, the tiles around the shower had black mouldy grout as did the bathroom window,the shower curtain was black mouldy along the bottom edge and the toilet pan was badly stained, one basin tap dripped permanently, the main window (wooden frame) was soggy and mouldy.
There was NO bedside lamp, so I had to get out of bed to turn the light off then fumble around for the bed. I have not been in a worse room since a disgusting visit to Pontins several years ago, however the room was warm and the bed was clean and comfortable.
The hotel is in dire need of investment by the owners (Greene King) I absolutely guarantee that their senior management wouldn't stay in that room for more than 5 minutes. This is not a reflection on the team at the riverside, but I'm sure they would agree that a refurb is long overdue.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank RayKP
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for staying with us here at The Riverside Hotel, and for your great comments about my team and I, we always strive to deliver only the best service possible, whilst being friendly and relaxed. I do apologise for the condition of some of our rooms, we are working to spruce them up at the moment. Our handyman is in the process of going round all the rooms to try to improve them. Old English Inns are also embarking on a project to refurbish all of their hotels, and are about half way through the estate, so I'm confident that it will be our turn for a total transformation in the future.
Buxton Derbyshire
Reviewed 25 November 2012

A great hotel for a break this is the third time we have visited and will be back again, friendly staff, great food and comfortable rooms. The food is lovely and Eva who is the breakfast waitress is so helpful you leave with a lasting impression of your stay. It's not a posh hotel but very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed for one night two weeks ago.
The pub is nice and we had a good value meal in the afternoon. on first sight the rooms in the hotel part need updating. Having said that we all had a fantastic sleep and the rooms were nice and warm. The best came in the morning where we had such a great breakfast, cooked to order with a nice buffet to support. All served by Eva, a truly great asset for this hotel.
Dont be put off by the tired rooms. It's a nice enough place with nice garden views of the river as a bonus.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnCarter
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that breakfast and your evening meals were great and that the staff were happy and friendly. It's also great to know that you would stay again. I've recently employed a handyman and he is in the process of freshening up the bedrooms, and we do also have a lovely superior room which is much larger than our standard double rooms.
Newbury
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Visited this weekend to hotel
Bar , restaurant and reception staff were all friendly , helpful and welcoming . Breakfast was excellent , plenty on offer . Made to order breakfast not hear lamps made the meal hot.
I was in a room at the front over the entrance, however it was very quiet and noise free on both nights.
Even on a very cold spell , the room was warm ! . Room was clean , and plenty of towels . The downside was it could do with painting , the hotel section looks tired.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Hopwood25
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#5 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!