“Very good value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Firstlyi would like to say that £55 for a room for 2 for the night was very good value. Breakfast was very good indeed. One of the best breakfasts I have had In a hotel. Really excellent selection and the waitress was lovely. Rooms are a bit small and a bit tired. Certain areas needed work. window frames grubby, tiling and bath needing filling etc. Shower was a bit dodgy, I had a lovely shower but my friends was cold. we were in room 5 and seemed the nicest some other rooms had damp etc. food in bar and at party was excellent. Rooms warm etc, towels a bit small. Overall definitely recommend just think they need to look critically at the rooms. Lovely setting

Room Tip: Room 5 was good although just by door so potential to be noisy, it wasn't though!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for your very kind feedback, we appreciate what you have told us & will be passing all of your comments onto the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My Wife and I stayed 4 days from 27th thru 30th December 2012.
The hotel does benefit from a very good location and its management, staff, and food are very good and it would be very hard to find any faults in these departments, Eva at breakfast is a guests dream.
The downside of the Riverside is the accomodation/rooms which although clean and tidy need some serious updating in all aspects.
Although we would definitely return to the Riverside, we would determine the time of year if we were staying, as the rooms in there current condition are quite noisy and when the garden is open an early night would be probably impossible.
The manager of the hotel, who has only recently taken over these premises does appear to be looking to quickly upgrade the accommodations, hopefully the Company/Group will let the improvements be carried out properly and to a good standard.
Tony/Valerie, Fareham, Hampshire.

Room Tip: I understand the hotel has two higher grade rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you Tony and Valerie for spending a few days with us here at The Riverside Hotel, we really enjoyed your company, and trust that you had a great New Year. It's always great to get feedback from our customers to share with the team and we are so pleased to hear that you will be returning to see us again, we are sure that the bedroom refurbishment will be well underway, and you will be able to judge the success of the work completed. Please let us know when you are ready to book with us again, and we'll ensure that we put you into one of the rooms that we have completed the work on. Until next time, keep well
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

i have visited this hotel several times and it seems to change management regularly but this time it was friendly cheerful and spotlessly clean. The only thing that seems to be the same is the brilliant eva who makes breakfast enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My friend and I booked one of the Old English Inns Christmas 2 night breaks at the hotel. We arrived at lunchtime on Christmas Eve with trepidation due to the horrendous rain and flood warnings for the area and were welcomed very warmly by Andrew on the reception. The rooms were clean and fairly comfortable but the bathrooms do require a little updating. Being a light sleeper the noise from the heating pipes did keep me awake. The rooms were very hot even though I had the heating turned off but the weather was particularly mild for the time of year. The hotel is set in the lovely location by the river and would be lovely in the summertime when it is not flooded. Some of the rooms overlook the river and it would be great if they had balconies or lower windows to maximize the views which are exceptional.

The food was very good, we had a nice dinner on Christmas Eve, breakfast and lunch on Xmas Day and breakfast on Boxing Day, all served fresh and hot with good service. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful, the lady who looked after us at breakfast was exceptional as were the two cleaning ladies who were very cheerful, friendly and helpful even though they were working on Christmas Day.

We did overhear one or two people complaining but felt their complaints were totally unfounded. I would recommend the hotel on a good value for money basis and would like to thank all the staff who worked over Christmas to give all the guests an enjoyable time, and would definitely return to the hotel again......

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the river
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Its difficult for me to give this place a bad review because I didnt actually stay in one of the rooms so I will cirtique the elements I used as I was a guest at a wedding and spent the day there.

Location - next to a river which is nice, in the middle of a council estate which is less nice

Car park - good, plenty of space, no charge

Bar - Greene King Pub with a wide variety of Ales ranging from Speckled Hen/IPA etc, good choice of lagers and wines. Im not a wine buff but what I tasted seemed ok - others were less impressed with the selection.

Welcome on arrival - non existant, had to find our own way into reception area where guests were.

Staff - friendly and helpful although pub staff not restaraunt or event staff so expect dropped forks etc not silver service - very good overall though.

Food - excellent couldnt complain at any of the courses

reception hall - fine, werent bothered by other customers in venue and pretty self contained

Late drinks - no drinks for residents - big no no for me this and needs to made clear to guests before the embark on their evenings ebntertainment - wasnt expecting an 11pm cut off - not fun.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to The Riverside. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and found our team members to be friendly and helpful, and that you found our food to be excellent. We can only apologise that due to our licensing restriction we were not able to serve you after midnight, without breaking the law. We do make this very clear to all of our brides and grooms before they book their wedding, and if a late bar is required we can always apply for a temporary late license, but we usually find that most people have had enough to drink come midnight. We trust that you were able to get more drinks at the hotel that you stayed at.
Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I arrived at 6pm and was met at reception by Andrew, who was courteous, friendly and welcoming. The bar and the restaurant are lovely and cosy ,the food is hot and delicious with good fast service. Breakfast is a delight served by Eva, whom I found to be very friendly and efficient, nothing was too much trouble for her.The staff at the Riverside could not be better.I absolutely can recommend the pub/restaurant .
Then there was my room, which was awful, the main wall at the foot of my bed was seriously damp with the paint peeling and flaking over a large area, the tiles around the shower had black mouldy grout as did the bathroom window,the shower curtain was black mouldy along the bottom edge and the toilet pan was badly stained, one basin tap dripped permanently, the main window (wooden frame) was soggy and mouldy.
There was NO bedside lamp, so I had to get out of bed to turn the light off then fumble around for the bed. I have not been in a worse room since a disgusting visit to Pontins several years ago, however the room was warm and the bed was clean and comfortable.
The hotel is in dire need of investment by the owners (Greene King) I absolutely guarantee that their senior management wouldn't stay in that room for more than 5 minutes. This is not a reflection on the team at the riverside, but I'm sure they would agree that a refurb is long overdue.

• Stayed November 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for staying with us here at The Riverside Hotel, and for your great comments about my team and I, we always strive to deliver only the best service possible, whilst being friendly and relaxed. I do apologise for the condition of some of our rooms, we are working to spruce them up at the moment. Our handyman is in the process of going round all the rooms to try to improve them. Old English Inns are also embarking on a project to refurbish all of their hotels, and are about half way through the estate, so I'm confident that it will be our turn for a total transformation in the future.
Buxton Derbyshire
Reviewed 25 November 2012

A great hotel for a break this is the third time we have visited and will be back again, friendly staff, great food and comfortable rooms. The food is lovely and Eva who is the breakfast waitress is so helpful you leave with a lasting impression of your stay. It's not a posh hotel but very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#5 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent