“Bad Hospitality skills”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were due to stay here for one night in the honeymoon suite as a wedding gift. We arrived the day before to leave my car & overnight case there.I spoke to the person on reception, Iv'e since found out was called Karen.I explained what I was doing she looked at me and sort of said Ok then with the attitude of so...what you telling me for !!!.and thats all I got. the next day was the wedding at a local venue which was splendid, Only to get a call at 10.30pm to tell us if we havn't checked in by 11 pm we would be locked out. my daughter rang them back and said why wasnt this explained when they dropped the car off. This same receptionist was so rude and said Im not having this conversation with you i will speak to your parents when they get here and put the phone down..How rude!!! so we never stayed there, and do not wish to return again.They spoilt our perfect day..I think she needs to brush up her hospitality skills, Apparently she's a manager and that says it all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank katyb63
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I usually only receive praise from customers about Karen, so I do apologise. Our customer service is usually of a very high standard and my team usually go out of their way to assist customers, like when Karen recommended to you to park your car in the smaller of the 2 car parks the day before.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I am currently staying here now 13th August for 1 night and the pub looks very nice, unfortunately the rooms they show on the website are not the rooms i have seen here. The rooms are small which is not a problem as a hotel is to sleep in but the room is very very dated with mould on the roof in the bathroom near the window which either has a leak from above or a damp problem. Some time and attention would make the room look rather nice i am sure but it feels like a cell now. Kettle dirty, cobwebs in the bathroom which shows it has not been cleaned for some time.

As i am a business traveller i do stay in a number of hotels each year and around 6 times per year in Burton, normally the pubs i have chosen to stay at have been very nice but on this occasion it was a very bad choice.

The staff are very nice but it does not detract from staying in a room that is nothing like the rooms shown on the website as a hook to get you to reserve.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Damian T

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know about your experience. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be very nice, as we always aim to provide our guests with a lasting impression. I would agree that our rooms are dated, which is why we are in the process of refurbishing our rooms. My handyman is currently refurbishing a room every 2 - 3 weeks, so we would anticipate that over the coming months all of the rooms will be of a much higher standard, which is very evident in the rooms that he has completed.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is not a hotel for the faint hearted if you have a fear of spiders then this is not the place for you!! We have just returned from a one night stay and couldnt wait to return home. The rooms are small, dirty and uninhabitable. If you are on the larger side you would have a bit of a problem using the loo as it is situated right next to the wall and bath with no space either side. The rooms are very dated and the whole of the hotel is in desperate need of a refurb .But on the plus side the view from our room was very picturesque. This is the worst place we have ever stayed at and will not be returning.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit. I'm pleased to hear that you found the view from your room to be picturesque and can only apologise if the insect life detracted from your stay. Being the middle of summer and experiencing a heat has caused an increase in all insect life in the UK, and whilst our house keepers remove all insects whilst servicing the rooms, we do find that as the nights draw in, so do the spiders, and with it being so very warm it is understandable that all of our guests choose to leave their windows open to take advantage of the cool breeze from the river and to take in our spectacular views. We are in the process of refurbishing all of our rooms, and whilst this will not enhance the size of the room, the rooms that we have done, look fantastic, so we should have all of our rooms refurbished within the next 12 months.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel.From reading Tripadvisers reviews, I was more than a little reticent as to what I would find there. I was pleasantly surprised. From checking in we found all of the staff, gardener,handyman not to mention the maids, all very pleasant and helpful. Our room, No 16 had just had a refurb. and although a little' bijou', it was clean and fresh. The shower and toilet too..The bed, as in all Old English Inns was very comfortable. Breakfasts were very very good and served efficiently by the indominant and unsurpassable Eva who attended to our every need. Jose who took her place was also very attentive although not as speedy as Eva, then who is ? Our evening meal from the 2 for 9.95 menu was more than adequate and very enjoyable.The beer and wine were priced as one would expect to pay in a hotel, but not over priced.Les the barman come waiter was efficient and vey polite. In all our sojourn was very pleasant and our joy was compounded by the beautiful surroundings and picturesque walks along the lovely Trent riverbank. Give this hotel a try and draw your own conclusions.Don't be put off by the usual moaners and wingers who invarialy suffer from the Champagne taste but only having Coca Cola money

Room Tip: Our room faced the carpark and was quieter and fairly free fom the midges. Ask for a river view when...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Coventrykid14
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you for spending some time with us here at The Riverside. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, as we enjoyed your company and the chats that we had during your stay. I'm sure we will see you again in the near future and I look forward to continuing where we left off.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The Staff at Riverisde Hotel are fantastic. They could not do enough for us, they were friendly, polite and very helpful. We ate dinner at the hotel and the food was really good honest english pun food, which suited us perfectly. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but they were clean, and you only sleep and shower in the room, so you don't need a mansion of a room, and speaking of showering, the water preasure is brilliant, the best shower I've ever had. If you want a few days away ina realxed friendly hotel, you can't go wrong bookingat this hotel, and the rooms were only £60 including there amazing breakfast. All the staff were fantastic, but the stars were Eva and Andrew, but like I said they were all very good.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel and they can book you a riverview room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UkHotelGuru
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for choosing The Riverside and for taking the time to let us and our future customers know about your experience. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our fantastic food. We always aim to deliver a quality pub menu with a twist, served by friendly and helpful team members in a pleasant environment, so it would appear that Old English Inns are a perfect fit for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps later in the summer, when you can really take advantage of our riverside location.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Totally agree with opinions of other reviewers.Rooms are air-freshioner smelly, bathroom VERY NARROW no space for toilet between wall and bath. Very dated and badly in need of upgrading.Mould on bathroom window. First impressions on driving up not good badly needs completely overhauling.
Admin staff abysmal. Originally booked for 3 mights but had to leave after 2 as had domestic emergency at home. Paid for the two nights but day after we got home found that hotel had taken £60 for the 3rd night. Despite numerous phone calls and e-mail and promises of return phone calls nothing has been heard from them.
Would I stay there again NO would I recommend this hotel NO.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irene c
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thanking for taking the time to let me know about your recent stay. I'm so sorry to hear that you did not have a good stay. Old English Inns are in the process of refurbishing all of their hotels, so we will be getting a total overhaul in the near future, but until them, my handyman is working to refresh the rooms, although he is unable to increase the size of the bathrooms. Please could I ask you to contact The Riverside directly and ask to speak to Andrew, and I will endeavour to sort out the problem with your bill, as I was not aware of any problem.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

stayed here sunday night to attend a wedding reception at the golf and country club so just a nice short walk across the grounds to the golf club..lovely sunny day we sat in grounds overlooking river having a few drinks and food..nice and peaceful..our room was overlooking the river which was a lovely view..ok so rooms are a bit dated but very clean and the bed was comfy and plenty of wardrobe space...shower and a bath..the pub /restaurant is lovely ..very relaxing and the breakfast was cooked very nice with nice backgroung music playing..and the lady serving us was very pleasant and attentive..ordered salmon for dinner off specials board but thed ran out then ordered chocolate cake n coffee for afters .ther wer five kinds of cake advertised on board which was written in chalk but thed only got the carrott cake left so would just say thed have been best to rub it off the board once ran out as i was drooling at the thought of chooccy cake but had carrott cake instead as this was all thed got left but it was actually very nice and they gave me a very large piece. overall we had a lovely stay here ,

Room Tip: we stayed in room 18 which was overlooking the river
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andrea c
Chris_Garnett, Front Office Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be clean with comfy beds, as a good night sleep is very important. I'm looking into why we only had 1 kind of cake left, when you stayed, as the chef is usually really good at keeping our cakes well stocked. I'm pleased to hear that you found my team to be pleasant and attentive, as we always strive to offer the best service possible. We look forward to seeing you again here at The Riverside

Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#4 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!