“Lovely location, shame about the rooms”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My room was very small, which is not a huge deal but the bathroom was tiny! The shower was pretty grotty and it was not nice at all.
Service to get towels which were not left in my room took over 40 minutes!
Breakfast was nice however, the restaurant overlooks the river which is lovely at sunrise.
Rooms need a serious revamp, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you found our rooms to compact and that you would not stay with us again. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and that you found our location to be lovely.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed 5 nights from 8th until 13 April, very comfortable bed, plenty of hot water, excellent shower, 5* breakfast served by Natalie and Chrissie. We ate in the restaurant for an evening meal which was excellent with a good choice of menu. With the economic climate it is very difficult to afford to do up hotels with a small budget and this is the only place this hotel falls down upon but this is not a negative in any way because the overall ambience of this hotel far outweighs the repainting which needs doing. On the Saturday a Wedding was taking place and as all the rooms are in a separate complex, the bedrooms were not affected by noise so it is versatile for any function. As we have family in Derby we will certainly stay there again. Nigel and Tricia Griffin North Devon

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia G

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our food to be excellent and my team to be lovely. We look forward to seeing you again, perhaps this summer?

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Accommodation is a classic two-storey block separate from the main building. The rooms are small but spotlessly clean and are exceptionally good value for money. If you can get one on the first floor on the river side then the views over the River Trent are absolutely stunning.

The main building, by contrast is full of character with good bar and eating areas, inside and out with the outside area overlooking and having access to the Trent. Both dinner and breakfast were extremely good and again represented quite exceptional value for money. We finished up having dinner, bed and breakfast for two, morning paper and two excellent cappuccino coffees and getting a penny change out of £50

All this said, the really outstanding thing about this hotel is the staff who are, beyond doubt, the best team I have come across in an establishment of this kind - or indeed in establishments where the bill would have been four times as much. The manager, Andrew, the bar and restaurant staff, breakfast staff, chamber maids and the guy I met early morning shifting cigarette butts off the grass all had a superb attitude. Thanks and congratulations

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MDavidCrompton
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let everyone know just how good we are!! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at The riverside and found Andrew and his team to be the best team you have encountered. I'm sure you'll be returning to The Riverside soon, and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked this hotel for a weekend break with friends after receiving a special offer from Old English inns the offer was applicable to many of the groups hotels but we had never been to this part of the country before so thought it was worth a try, We were most certainly not disappointed yes we had read previous reviews stating the rooms in the hotel could do with new windows and maybe even a refurb and to some extent this is true, however I tend to judge any hotel we visit on an overall Value for money basis I just think this let's you compare any hotel on a level basis.

Value for money here is second to none yes the rooms are a little compact and the windows are wooden framed but the room we were allocated on the first floor with a view of the river was spotlessly clean and contained all we would need for the weekend the bathroom had an amazing shower albeit over bath and let's face it you do not spend that much time in the room anyway, Oh they even had Sky on the TV including Sky movies and free wi-fi you don't find that sort of thing at this sort of price level so often.

We ate breakfast and evening meal at the hotel on both days of our stay we expected Pub food what we received was food of a far higher standard than the normal pub grub but at pub prices, each and every member of staff that we met were so committed to guest satisfaction it made it a pleasure for us to stay here and we would not hesitate in recommending the hotel to all.

Finally, I tend not to mention members of staff by name in reviews that I write, and as I have said above all were excellent in there jobs but an exception is in order here, Karen Butler what an amazing lady and one of the most friendly and professional people it has ever been our pleasure to meet, she seemed to be around the hotel 24/7 (I am sure she must go home occasionally)

Thank you Karen and all of the staff at The Riverside hotel for making our weekend away so enjoyable.

John & Yvonne

Room Tip: River view first floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank FOCUSVON
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let other potential guests know just how enjoyable a stay you had. We always look after our guest as if they are friends or family who have come to visit as we find that taking a genuine interest in people makes our jobs more enjoyable and we get to meet some fantastic people each and every day. We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps in the summer?

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

If u go there make sure u book room 24.all other room r on the small side.the staff r very helpful aspecial the waitress who does breakfast which was very nice.the hotel needs new windows.the grounds r by the trent river with a nice walk along its banks.we went to brent on trent 4 the daynice place if u go park in asda carpark.its not free but cheap.if u r looking 4 a chinese go to the fill yr books chinese at the wing wah very nice

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be very helpful and that you enjoyed our breakfasts. Room 24, which is our superior room, is a lovely room and I think is definately worth spoiling yourself that little bit extra for this fantastic room. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps in the summer, when you can really take advantage our our idealic location right on the River Trent.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just got back from a couple of days away on business in Burton, and stayed at the Riverside and although I had booked in for myself and my dog (who there would have been no extra charge for) £45.00 per night including breakfast for me, but unfortunately she was unable to come with me on this trip, perhaps another time as she would have enjoyed it as much as me. To start with I must say I am grateful for my sat-nav without it I'm not sure I would have found the hotel as it is situated at the end of a residential road. On first appearance the hotel shows the need of external decoration especially around the external lights on the building and windows, when you enter the reception area the comfort of the place comes through and the reception staff were more than welcoming. My room was on the ground floor which would have been very convenient if my dog had accompanied me. The room was a little on the small side but seeing it was only an overnight stay it was no problem the bathroom on the other hand I am grateful that I was not a little bigger as the loo would have been much more of a problem wedged between the bath and the wall. On the food side there was a plentiful menu that would quite comfortably suit most peoples requirements and drinks to match, with the most helpful staff you could have ever needed. Breakfast was included with yet another fine array to choose from and excellent serving staff. So in summing up for what it was, I would definitely like to re-visit with my dog and perhaps a friend in the future. Well done Andrew and your team, keep up the good work, but its now time to get the paint brushes out before the spring and summer start.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the ground floor if you have a dog with you, specially faceing the river
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlYerPal
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know about your experience, my team and I do enjoy reading our customers reviews, as we believe this is the best way to look after our future guests. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so very much and we look forward to welcoming you back with your pooch next time.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Excellent value for a weekend break.Very welcoming staff, breakfast menu was varied but unfortunately not everything was available.Croissants were on the menu but both days there weren't any.Other danish pastries were available but these were not of the best quality. The room was spotlessly clean but a little on the small side.The pillows were not very soft adding to a poor nights sleep.We were located on the ground floor and were woke a few times by a noisy plant room/boiler room.The bathroom was facing the carpark and we were dismayed to find no blind or curtain to the frosted window!We had to pull the shower curtain around the bath to try to shield ourselves when using the bath. Not good!!We did not eat in the restaurant as we wanted to sample some restaurants nearby.Waiting on staff at breakfast were very helpful,friendly and efficient.Room not as good as a Premier Inn but overall a nice weekend break on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrea B
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know how we did. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be helpful, friendly & efficient and that you enjoyed our varied breakfast menu. We've never had any comments about not having a blind to cover the frosted glass in the bathroom, but I will make a note of this and I'm pleased to hear that you found us to be good value.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#4 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!