“Great staff but hotel needs complete refurbishment”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Bournemouth
“Great staff but hotel needs complete refurbishment”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Riverside for two nights last weekend. The staff are, without exception, very friendly and welcoming. However, the hotel needs a complete refurbishment. The decor is tired and outdated and extremely shabby. The location on the riverside could be wonderful but the patio needs a good clean with a pressure washer, the plants in the pots have been sadly neglected and are therefore nearly dead, the grass needs cutting and the weeds need to be removed. It would not take very long to deal with these problems nor cost very much to improve this outside space. The hotel itself is in a "time warp" with very unattractive decor and careworn furnishings. If a Housekeeper was employed to check on the general appearance of the bedrooms and public areas then she might notice the dirty windows, abundant cobwebs and curtains barely hanging on to the tracks and pelmets. In other words, a new pair of eyes and a fair injection of capital could put this place on the map. This is not an hotel I would care to return to!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven L, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be very friendly and welcoming and I'm glad that they looked after you. I'm sorry to hear that you did not like our decor and and garden, we are always looking to make changes and improvements, so I'll speak to our gardener and handyman.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We have just returned from two nights at the Riverside Inn. We stayed in Room 5 which was a little on the small side and the bathroom was very small but overall the room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel has a lovely garden backing on to the river and we enjoyed a couple of walks along the river bank watching the swans. The staff were very friendly and helpful even though they were busy with weddings on both days. We had 2 lovely evening meals and a really nice cooked breakfast, the breakfast buffet choice was also very good. If we are visting the area another time we would definately stay again but probably go for a larger room.

3 Thank Allison C
Thank you for choosing The Riverside and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm so very pleased to hear that you found my team to be very friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your meals. I would agree with you we have a lovely position here on the river and have some fabulous walks. We look forward to seeing you again, next time you are in the area.
Bree, Limburg, Belgium
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 4 night (we were visiting family, we are from Belgium).
We stayed in room 18 and the room wasn't very good. First of all, it looked very small and outdated. In the bathroom there was no room to put my toiletries. Also, the shower head didn't give us warm water. The warm water only came out of the tap.
The beds were horrible. Very small and very uncomfortable. I woke up with neck ache every morning. Also, I'm used to small beds but this was very small.
I also found some black hairs in my bed (several days). This could not be mine as I have red hair and my boyfriend has blonde hair. This really put me off.
Also had to catch a spider almost every night.
The rooms were very cold and the windows were moist on the inside every morning.

The surrounding of the hotel is lovely. Our room had a river view which was very nice. I also appreciate it that the hotel is dog friendly. If the hotel would get some refurbishment, I would maybe return and take my dog with me.
Overall I found it quite cold in the hotel.

The dinner was okay. We had a party here and we ate a la carte and since we had about 20 different orders of food, it wasn't too bad.
I also like it that the restaurant offers a few nice vegetarian options.

Breakfast was okay. Salmon and scrambled eggs is very nice.
You should put some toast bread and a toasting machine at the buffet. This would be a lot easier for the guests.
One morning, I ordered poached eggs which were served on 1!!! soggy peace of toast.
A different morning, there were croissants and chocolate rolls that were from the day before. One shelf had freshly baked and crispy ones, the other shelf had old and soggy ones. You could clearly tell the difference. You really can't let something like this happen, this is disgusting.

The blonde waitress who served us at breakfast was very friendly. Thanks!
Younger girl (brownish hair) behind the bar was very unfriendly.
Rest of the staff was also friendly.

If it wasn't for the hotel's surroundings and the friendly staff, I would have given this hotel 1 star.

I might return to check it out once it has had some serious refurbishment in the kitchen and in the rooms.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leting us know about your stay. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our rooms, our housekeepers usually do a really good job, so I'll have a word with my head housekeeper regarding your room. I'm pleased to hear that you found my team to be friendly and that on the whole you had a good meal at the party you attended.

Travellers are raving about these Branston hotels

Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Used to be "the place" - now a corporate style olde worlde hotel with bar/restaurant, garden backing on to River Trent

As others have said the place has seen better days in terms of décor and external maintenance

Staff seemed few on the ground on a Saturday lunchtime and those around seemed occupied with setting up for a wedding. We eventually ordered food and drinks from the bar and were pleased with the friendly service of the bar man who brought coffees to the table

The food came fairly quickly and was all perfectly well cooked - but fish and chips, lasagne and gammon should not have been a challenge for the kitchen!

Note this is only a review of the restaurant and not the hotel as a whole

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your lunch. I'm so pleased to hear that my barman provided you with friendly service and that you enjoyed your gammon, lasangna and fish & chips for lunch.
Cardiff Wales
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed one night at this hotel, booked it basically for the price. As previous writers have said the bedroom (3) was small, the bathroom was quite odd anyone of any size would find the loo a squeeze.

Poorly insulated heard all the noise from adjoining rooms and the smokers stood outside the entrance until the early hours.

Breakfast was OK. If your on a tight budget £50 a room its not bad.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the river side of the hotel away from car park and smokers.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests smoking outside the hotel during your stay. We do ask all of our guests to be considerate of others but occasionally we do encounters people who are slightly louder than normal.
Northern England
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here mid-August for a couple of nights. At the end of a long drive and a longer tour of the nearby National Arboretum,which was very moving,we were welcomed by the friendly receptionist and got to our room in double quick time. After unpacking,we wasted no time in taking a seat in the Hotel's beautiful garden,which leads down to the river. Willow trees dot the garden,branches almost touching the ground,swans and ducks on the river, just wonderful.
We had our evening meal there,just for the convenience of not having to do any more driving.
The set menu of 2 meals for £10,with 2 starters for £5,might make you not have any great expectations. Wrong,our meals were excellent value for money.
Free wi-fi is a bonus.
The breakfast choice is first class. First day, the full English,second day Loch Fyne smoked salmon with scrambled egg. All quality ingredients,freshly cooked to order.
The room was a bit on the small side, but,tired and happy from 2 fabulous days out,we had no trouble sleeping,lovely duvet and pillows.
We are intending to return to the National Arboretum and will definitely stay at this welcoming Hotel with the lovelyriversiide location. Recommended.

Room Tip: Facing the river,very tranquil
1 Thank OLIVERkATY
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed new night recently whilst visiting the area. Was allocated room 24 which appeared to have been refurbished recently. In general the room was very good and the bathroom with a large feature bath was excellent.

Had dinner in the bar, the menu is extensive but there was only I think four other couples dining in a large restaurant, accepted is was a Monday evening. We ordered breads with basaltic and oil, what came was a small dish with white bread that appeared to have been microwaved, it must have cost about 20 pence to prepare. I had a mixed grill and was asked how I would like this (medium) it arrived dry with the steak so chewy I had to leave it, my wife had the Hunters chicken which she left, this was chicken & bacon covered in a BBQ sauce honestly it wasn't ver nice. BUT breakfast was excellent again a fabulous choice and freshly cooked.

If we are in the area again we would return to the Riverside, I would request room 24 but would give dinner a miss and enjoy breakfast.

The staff were all very attentive and friendly possibly with the exception of when we checked out with the receptionist merely saying thanks I we left the keys. I find that "was everything OK" best practice. I would recommend The Riverside.

Room Tip: Room 24 was very nice
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!