“Very dirty - don't stay here!”

Econo Lodge Tonawanda
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Tonawanda
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This hotel was terrible! We wished we had stayed somewhere else but choices were limited on a long weekend. We called to book a king bed but were told there were none available even though the web site clearly had a room with a King bed available. We settled for 2 Queen beds instead. When we arrived we were greeted by a foul smell in the dirty stairwell leading up to the second floor. The room itself was somewhat renovated but not clean or fully functional. Hair on the bathroom floor, ripped bed sheets, stained pillow cases, stains on room furnishings (chair, kleenex box, etc) and a toilet that ran all night long. The beds were not comfortable either and the room did not have 2 queen beds but 2 double beds instead. Seemed like it would be a prime breeding ground for bed bugs - thankfully we didnt see any. The building itself is not quiet - could hear traffic, birds, etc outside. Breakfast supplies were low and there was no one at the front desk to check us out. Not worth the $136 - find another hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have been recently renovated. Floors are very creaky so I wouldnt want to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank A N
econolodgetonawanda, Webmaster at Econo Lodge Tonawanda, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge Tonawanda for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

• Management was approached about not letting it be known on the website about the unavailability of King Bed.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Econo Lodge Tonawanda. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

WELCOMED CHANGE!!! I stayed here some years back when the hotel was the Grand Motor Inn, I was passing through with my kids and wife. What a horrible stay, the service was inadequate and my kids were treated rudely by the front desk. I was very pleased to see the property had changed management and a new hotel name appeared. It was a wonderful experience. The breakfast was great and all the rooms looked recently renovated. The staff was warm and friendly. This time I was passing through with some friends and thier children. The staff was so nice to the kids that I would suggest this hotel to anyone with a family. Its easy and conveniently located, a real pleasure to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BrianKeriepa
Reviewed 16 February 2013

When I stayed here I was a little unsure if I had made the correct decision. When I arrived the lobby was fresh and looked new, I was greeted by warm, friendly staff. I made it up to my room, and to my surprise it was spotless. Great Value. I wold recommend to anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Terrible service, rude people, room were filthy, moldy shower curtain, broken lamp shades, main light did not work, room smelled so bad of smoke it almost gagged us.
We ended up leaving the hotel, we could not stay, hair on the beds, yellow stains, owners rude and smug, said they didn't care if we left they would be paid by hotwire anyway, please stay away, i am not a mean person, but this hotel is just awful.
We went across the street to the rhodeway inn and it was amazing, clean rooms new beds, fridge microwave, great service..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
econolodgetonawanda, Webmaster at Econo Lodge Tonawanda, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge Tonawanda for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of having the rooms inspected upon the time of checkout, so that the condition is known to the management and our valued guests and agreed upon.

• Staff members and Manager received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Maintenance was informed of the Bad smoke you reported smelling in the room and instructed to see what could be done to eliminate it.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I'm not sure where the bad reviews are coming from. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times now, and find this hotel to be well run, clean, convenient and a great value. There is a flat screen TV, microwave and fridge in the room, the bed was VERY comfortable, and I had a great stay. So close to malls and restaurants, and a 30-minute drive from the Falls. There were NO bugs and NO bad smells. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Debra T
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed for a Bills game. Were were a large group with a block or rooms reserved. The first person to show up was forced to pay for all the rooms up front or the manager was going to rent them to other people. Apparently reserving is not enough!!Thank god I barely slept. Room is dated, smelled like stale smoke the whole time and is not cleaned thoroughly. No soap or shampoo the first night. Our cards didn't work, manager said just to get her if we wanted in our room instead of getting new cards!Turns out the door just sticks. Only saw one staff member, the owner/manager, I have the feeling she runs its herself!. She yelled at us to get into our rooms at 8:30pm one night because we were drinking outside our rooms and were too loud. She yelled and ran around like a lunatic. Suprisingly the breakfast bar was not bad, some tea,coffee, juice, muffins, toast and cereal. I would not take my wife or children here ever, glad it was just for a football roadtrip!! AND only paid $70/night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FerTravel

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge Tonawanda for your recent stay in our area.

• Front desk staff received additional training with regards to maintaining the reservation and allotting the rooms.

• Maintenance was informed of the stale smoke you reported smelling in the non-smoking room and instructed to see what could be done to eliminate it.

• The staff has received extra training in maintaining the rooms and stocks the amenities.

• I am glad that you found our Breakfast bar good.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Never have we been to a hotel in such poor and dirty state. The rooms stinted cigarette- supposedly to be non-smoking room, dirty laundry. Only 1 towel in a room . Staff rude . poor service at Breakfast.. Had to call each time for staff to fill up. Never going there again .
This property should be for people with pets only

Room Tip: not recommended - sorry that i did not take any picture
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge Tonawanda for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received additional training on supplying towels etc. to accommodate our valued guests.

• Staff members received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in putting on a good cont. breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Econo Lodge Tonawanda. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonawanda
CenterWay Hotel
Days Inn Tonawanda/buffalo
Days Inn Tonawanda/buffalo
#4 of 13 in Tonawanda
Super 8 Kenmore/Buffalo/Niagara Falls Area

Been to Econo Lodge Tonawanda? Share your experiences!