“So much less than meets the eye”

Swiston's Beef & Keg
Ranked #57 of 121 Restaurants in Tonawanda
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We happened in to Swistons with high hopes and an appetite. A friendly bartender told us to dear ourselves in the dining area, which overlooked a marina.

Our server came over after a few minutes and asked if we were ready to order. I said we would like a menu first, and she pointed at a table tent with 5 items on it. Her face read impatience.

We order our food, and drinks. The iced teas we ordered we first out and tasted awful. I am certain the one had some root beer remains in it. The food Was out in 10 minutes and we asked our server, still distracted and patient. To take the one tea away and being a beer.

Of the 2 beef sandwiches, one had some very cold slices on it, the other warm all through. We waited a few minutes but the server never came to check on us, so we ate. #We were one of 3 tables in the dining area.

The beef quality was good, and the beer nice and cold.

Our server returned when we were done eating asking if she could get us anything. I replied please bring a check.

We left, unimpressed and promising never to return.

Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

Been going here for many years, first as a resident of the area and, now, as an occasional visitor from out of state. If you are looking for the quintessential local bar that serves iconic beef on weck along with a wide assortment of brews, this is the place! Virtually nothing has changed with time (except for prices) which means you will enjoy incredibly tender roast beef on crusty kimmelweck rolls which I still regard as the best in greater Buffalo. Do not expect any fancy trappings, just friendly service and honest, satisfying food and drink!

1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

ATTENTION WESTERN NEW YORKERS!!!!!!.... SWISTONS NOW HAS A DEEP FRYER!!!!! AND SERVES WINGS , THAT ARE GREAT! And Fries! How can this be? I am a lover of SWISTONS . Not happy they dropped fosters off the tap. Big loss! But to see they evolved beyond beef chili and popcorn is huge! Everything was great and we got everything! Only thing I was not impressed by was the loganberry wings. Different but not for me. Thank you SWISTONS for expanding your menu now drop some of those crappy beers and bring back our Fosters !

Reviewed 28 April 2016

The food was very good (roast beef and poutine) but it took a while for the bartender to acknowledge that there were 4 new customers at the bar. She was not that busy that she couldn't atleast look in our direction and acknowledge the fact that we were there. It was like she was trying to avoid eye contact.

1  Thank AnnMarie K
Reviewed 28 April 2016

Been hearing about how great the Beef on Wick is since I moved to western NY six years ago. Well, I could have waited another six years before going there. The beef was over cooked and the wick was soggy. I hear it used to be better. Might be time to update the interior and improve the menu.