“An affordable, pleasant B&B in the Troy, Albany region” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Olde Judge Mansion
Ranked #2 of 2 Troy B&B and Inns
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“An affordable, pleasant B&B in the Troy, Albany region”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed two nights at the Old Mansion B&B in Troy, during which time we visited friends living nearby. My research had revealed no other B&B options in the area, and only a few standard chain hotels.

The first night we stayed in the Oatman room, with twin beds, and sharing a bath with the single-bed Dunphy room. Be advised that the shared bath is one floor down from the rooms, and you must pass through a common area to access both a half-bath, or the full bath. This is admittedly inconvenient, but the rooms are attractively priced as a result. (The former mansion is a refurbished home, more than a century old, and the plumbing layout greatly restricted the degree to which the B&B could be renovated.)

The second night we were in the Gluha room, with a queen bed, and a private bathroom. Note that the bathroom is not ensuite -- it is a short distance down a shared hallway, but on the same floor as the bedroom. This seems to be the same with the other two rooms that have private bathrooms, so if not having an ensuite bathroom is a concern for you, please clarify the situation with the owner Tina regarding the Carpenter and the Urzan rooms.

The B&B is located in an old section of Troy, and as with much of the area there are numerous signs of the current economic downturn in the economy. The surrounding neighbourhood does not seem a particularly pleasant place for strolling.

The entrance to the the B&B's parking area is off Glen Avenue, which a one-way street for traffic going east to west. The parking area is private, but not secure, so I would recommend that you not leave valuables in your vehicle.

It is important to pre-arrange your arrival time, as someone must admit you into the secure B&B, and upon registering you will be given a pass code to access the entry door key pad.

It was very hot while we were in Troy, but each room is air-conditioned. Tina or her husband will advise you regarding how to adjust the settings without blowing a fuse. Ah, the joys of older buildings.

The bedrooms and bathrooms were well-appointed and clean. The guest common areas were clean as well, but the common sitting-reading-game areas were somewhat cluttered, which you can either find homey or disorganised. It did not bother us.

Breakfast is taken in the dining room, and on a side board there is usually a selection of cakes available in the afternoons and evenings. And coffee is usually available as well.

The breakfasts were diverse, well-prepared, and tasty. They will keep you fueled for some time.

Tina and her husband are congenial hosts, knowledgeable regarding the area, and pleasant to deal with. Ask her about the history of the house -- very interesting.

We would certainly be happy to stay here again should we make a return visit to Troy.

Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Accentor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Colebrook, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Tina is very lovely... This Bed & Breakfast is not only a wonderful place to stay, but Tina is very nice and generous of her time and offer a great value for the price !!! Last time I stayed there, I had a very comfortable room, a great discussion with Tina and in the morning a delicious made to order breakfast : meat & cheese omelette, country potatoes, pankakes and fresh fruit... Some snaks and very good homemade cake were available the evening before... And on top of all this, free internet is offer in every room !!! A must !!!

Room Tip: This mansion is filled with antique and the rooms are so nice and unique :)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank benoitleblanc
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed at Old Judge Mansion while visiting our daughter at RPI. The Inn itself was nicely furnished, with comfortable rooms. We opted for a private bathroom down the hall (some rooms have ensuite bathrooms) and were perfectly comfortable with our choice. The hot breakfast food was not fabulous, but was plentiful, and there were additional options like cold cereal, toast, etc. Our hostess was friendly and we enjoyed the other guests. That said, we did not feel comfortable with the neighborhood. We were nervous just walking from the parking lot in back of the Inn to the front door. We did not even consider walking from the Inn to the main downtown area (less than a mile away). Different folks will have different comfort levels with urban neighborhoods. We learned from this experience that we cannot stay in that neighborhood again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kalindanya
North Reading, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Adirondacks. We spent time in Saratoga Springs and took a railroad round-trip excursion to North Creek from Saratoga Springs... also a great day trip and a wonderful value!

Our springboard was the Olde Judge Mansion, and what a delight it was! Located in a somewhat depressed area, the home itself presents a gorgeous trip back in history, with beautiful woodwork, architecture, and many period furnishings. A fenced-in back parking area provides safety and security for visitors and their vehicles.

Our room was spacious, warm, and inviting. Everything in the house was so very clean and home like. The bed was comfy cozy, and we enjoyed a wonderful balance of great hospitality and privacy during our stay. Though our bathroom (private) was situated down the hall, it was nevertheless a convenient access. (A robe was provided, too, if needed, for trips to the bathroom!)

We were served delicious full, hot breakfasts every day (with choices) and received a wonderful history of Troy from B&B proprietor, Tina.

The rate couldn't be beat, and we must say we were very disappointed when it came to spending a ;later night closer to home in a regular motel chain! We paid more at the motel, and the value was far less!

We highly recommend the Olde Judge Mansion for others to consider when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Tina has a selection for everyone... from the sole business traveler... to a couple... to a family.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MaryannD477
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

This lovely old home is furnished with antiques and love. We spent one night here in conjunction with a visit to Rensselaer Polytech. The owner, Tina was very warm and welcoming, giving us detailed instructions on how to find the inn and advance information about the area, eateries, and the extensive choices at breakfast. She really went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. We slept well and enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

The only reservation I would have about staying here again was the inn is in a rundown-but-gentrifying neighborhood. We were a bit uneasy when we parked in the lot at the rear of the mansion at night and walked around the corner to get to the mansion's front door security system. That, and the fact that the bathrooms were not ensuite, helps to explain the very affordable pricing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Gorgeously restored large, ornate Victorian house tucked away in a densely populated section of Troy yet close to the downtown and local attractions. The innkeepers are genuine, hospitable and very knowledgeable of the area. They will make you feel comfortable and at home. The wood paneling is beautiful. There are high ceilings in all the rooms and lovely fireplaces on the main floor that are some of its features. Because of the inn's location it can be noisy especially at night. Don't let the area deter you from enjoying this beautiful inn and its hospitable innkeepers. There is off-street parking that is fenced off. There is a breakfast menu with a sumptuous spread. There is a computer for guest use, a formal living room and sitting room on the second floor with videos available for watching. Some rooms have private baths, others have shared bathrooms. The room we had on the second floor had a shared back on the first floor. This is a gem of a house worth the stay when in Troy.

Room Tip: Request a room with a private bath or one across the small hallway
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jostravels42
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

I traveled to Troy to attend my younger brother's graduation. Since my husband couldn't come with me, I wanted to be able to stay in a place that felt like a friend's house - but I don't know anyone well enough in that part of the country to stay with them. When I found out about the Olde Judge Mansion, I thought for sure it was too good to be true. But I booked a room anyway, and I am so glad that I did! The owner, Tina, is very friendly. The Mansion itself is gorgeous. My room (the Dunphy Room) was cozy and quiet. Even though the Dunphy Room is advertised as sharing a bathroom with another room, it actually shares two bathrooms - one with a toilet and a shower/tub-jacuzzi, the other with just a toilet. By the time I left, I definitely felt like I had been staying at a friend's house - a very generous friend with a big, beautiful old house! For the price, too, it was more than worth it.

I do want to say that I've seen a few reviews that talk about the area around the Mansion being less-than-ideal, but I did not find this to be the case. There are a lot of old Victorian houses in this area of Troy, most of which seem to be divided up and rented out. But I saw a lot of people sitting out on their front steps, talking to friends and passers-by, when I was there, and a lot of kids riding their bikes down the street or walking around with their friends. The area is low-income for sure, but I even went for a walk with my digital camera while I was there, and no one bothered me at all. My grandparents even waved at and joked with a few of the people who were driving down the street making a lot of noise. So while it may seem at first glance like a bad neighborhood, it's really not.

If you're going to Troy, don't miss the Olde Judge Mansion and don't miss all of the beautiful old buildings in the neighborhood! I hope my brother gives me a good reason to go back soon, and I will definitely stay at the Mansion again next time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Eden_Orchidelirium
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Hilton Garden Inn Troy
BEST WESTERN PLUS Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
The Desmond Hotel Albany
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Olde Judge Mansion? Share your experiences!