“just ok”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Troy
Williamstown, New Jersey, United States
“just ok”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The beds weren't terribly comfortable and for the price we paid, I would have expected more than one towel in the room. I've stayed in hotels that were less expensive, had more towels and included breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Very clean & comfortable. Customer service excellent. Reasonable rate. Breakfast package worth the convenience. Recommend requesting a room on back side of hotel - Traffic noise on street side interrupted our sleep throughout night.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Troy, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Very luxorius and beutiful hotel. I love the fake waterfall out side of the resturant. The rooms looks like a five star rooms. Some minor inconvinces though. The pool was 100 degrees and broken for a minor amount of time. The staff was very helpful though and plans to fix the pool. Not impressed with the time it is taking though but A+ for effort. Overall very good staff, resturant and luxury. Looks like five star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay up on the 7th floor. A wealthy professor from RPI once lived up there for quite some time.
1 Thank 991BS
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2013

There are not many hotels in this area, but if you are visiting Troy or RPI, it is good to know that the Garden Inn is a quiet hotel, with very helpful staff. I was unlucky to be next to noisy/obnoxious people, and they immediately changed my room. They have a shuttle that can pick you up from / drop you off at the airport, and also take you to the local restaurants and pick you up after you are done!
I like hard mattresses, so I loved the mattress I had.

Brown's brewery is a nice and vibrant place to eat nearby

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Cordova, Maryland
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The hotel was new and well maintained. We had breakfast, which was good but pricey for a buffet. It is a shame that the mattresses on the beds were so terrible. They were not old, just very poor quality. Neither my wife nor I slept well. We will not stay again until the mattresses are changed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
DanDolanGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Troy, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We're happy to see there were a number of things that you were pleased with. However, it's disappointing to read that you were not satisfied with the mattress. Our mattresses are actually an adjustable sleep system, with firmness levels that can be changed to your preferred comfort. We hope you will choose to give us another shot the next time you are in Troy; we would be happy to show you how to adjust the firmness of the mattress the next time around. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.

Dan Dolan, General Manager
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Now that I'm a parent of a RPI student, I have a need to visit Troy every so often. My first "stay over" was April 2012 with another in August of 2012. Before my first visit, other RPI parents told me the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) was the only place in town to stay. I knew there were other hotels and had inquired why they only recommended the HGI. Their comments and my observations proved they were correct for the level of hotel I prefer.
The HGI is like going to Starbucks in a foreign country, you know what you will get when you walk in the door. Everything about this hotel is good: service, rooms, breakfast, the location (in proximity to the University), and it's on the newer side.
It serves the purpose well. I'm only disappointed that Troy doesn't have a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the school, it will be noisier due to street traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I just stayed here for one night last week. The hotel is located just off route 7/Interstate 787 just north of Albany. Lobby, rooms and facilities overall were nice. The desk staff were courteous and knowledgeable of the local area. I didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel. There is a domino's pizza about 1/4 mile away and a friendly's along with a small shopping center nearby. Hotel offers free parking. Overall I had a good stay here and would again if I were going to troy again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Best Western Plus Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Troy? Share your experiences!