“Nowhere near as good as a Hilton should be”

Hilton Garden Inn Troy
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just spent two nights here since Bruce was playing in Albany but there are issues with staff and soundproofing.

Arrived late evening following a nine hour flight and four hour drive, looking forward to a typical Hilton welcome. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. The guy who checked is in couldn't even raise a smile, so we felt underwhelmed as we took the elevator to our room.

Entering the room a couple of motorbikes went roaring past, trucks rumbled past and I thought a window had been left open. Sadly this wasn't the case. The room overlooked four lanes of traffic which could clearly be heard. No sleep would have been possible so I went back down to try and change rooms.

At the desk I encountered Michelle who was polite, courteous, and she went out of her way to try and help find a different room. Unfortunately the misery who had checked us in was also there and he said 'we're full - no other rooms available'. He then said to Michelle, loud enough for me to hear, 'for what they've paid we're not upgrading them'. Wonderful. How I wish I'd been 'undercover boss'. However Michelle continued to look for another room and found one. She then offered to collect the keys from the old room when we were ready.

Michelle is clearly customer focused and went out of her way to help.

The new room was an even numbered room - avoid any odd numbered rooms as they overlook the four lanes of traffic. Additional glazing is needed in these rooms.

At breakfast the following morning the service was exceptional, staff friendly, offering advice etc on the local area.

Returning from the Springsteen show that evening, Mr Misery was on the desk again - not even an acknowledgement that someone was stood in his presence. Amazing guy who drags down the reputation of the Hilton.

Entering our room, at 12.30am (after the show) we found the bed had not been made up. Being tired, what with jet-lag and the show, it was easier to simply put up with it - to have got housekeeping involved at this time of night would have took longer.

Checking out the following day I had intended to say something. However there was now a Mrs Misery on the desk, we had a five hour drive to our next hotel and another show to catch so I thought what the heck, they've had our money, we saw a great show and if Hilton choose to deliver such bad service then it will reflect back on them.

This would have been a one star review had it not been for Michelle and the breakfast room staff who clearly know how to treat people.

You had our money Hilton, can I suggest you invest it in staff training for Mr Misery on front desk and in housekeeping so that they can be taught how to make up a bedroom.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms will ensure you get a good nights sleep. Avoid odd numbered rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank springsteenisgod

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The staff were helpful, rooms comfortable.The hotel had shuttle that was made available to our group. This was extemely helpful in negotiating travel to and from the hotel . The hotel is very accessible from the highways.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stay at this hotel quite often and always have a great stay. Rooms are clean and I love the beds as you can adjust the comfort to your liking Ordered room service during this stay and the food was very good and service was fast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The basic amenities are available at this hotel, but the outstanding item for me was that the pool, although small, was good enough for a workout. that was marvelous. The complimentary breakfast on mother's day wasn't bad either--cinnamon rolls and another muffin were tasty and the location in the lobby allowed me to talk to other guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Adequate hotel with helpful staff. I liked that there were microwave meals and other food available and microwaves in the room. Helpful when you're traveling alone and don't feel like going out for a meal. Unfortunately, no cutlery was provided, but the staff went and found some.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The HGI is the nicest hotel I have stayed at in the Troy area. It is convenient to RPI and to downtown Troy. There are plenty of stores and food places nearby and the hotel bar is fun. The rooms are in excellent condition, clean and comfortable. The food is OK, but there are other places to go nearby, so it is not a problem. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in the Troy area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Recently stayed here for a conference being held at their hotel. Check in was quick and efficient, the chocolate chip cookies were a nice touch and very tasty! We appreciated having a list of local restaurants printed at the desk but we ended up eating in their Recovery restaurant which was awesome.

The hotel was very quiet which I appreciated because I'm a light sleeper. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the mattresses; they were a little too hard. At first I thought they had the Sleep System beds but I couldn't find any literature or controls so I figured they were normal mattresses. They definitely had some sort of pillowtop cushion but they were a little too tough for my liking.

They placed a small bag of candy and welcome note on our beds which I thought was a very nice touch. My colleague had to get his key reprogrammed for his room at night and said the front desk staff was wearing a personal sweatshirt behind the front desk. The only reason we really noticed or cared was because we were there for a Hilton Garden Inn Conference and we're all hotel managers.

Breakfast in the AM was good but our waitress kind of dropped our food and left. We waited a few minutes after we were done but ultimately had to head to the host stand to get our check and pay.

If I ever had to travel back to this area for leisure or business I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Best Western Plus Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Troy? Share your experiences!