“Perfect College Reunion Getaway”
Review of Halsey House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trumansburg
Halsey House
Ranked #1 of 9 Trumansburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Halsey House 5 years ago and retuned again this year for reunion weekend. We stayed in the Serenity Room both times. It has a wonderfully comfortable king size bed and a pretty lighted water feature. Halsey House is 20-25 minutes from Cornell University. The house is absolutely lovely and the Davids are wonderful hosts. We were greeted by the aroma of fresh baked cookies upon arrival (and they were yummy!). The breakfasts were delicious and the serving size just perfect. They will try to accommodate any dietary restrictions you may have. There are water coolers on both floors. They provide coffee and soft drinks throughout the day. We had a fantastic stay and will return again in the future. My only complaint is that we were too busy to relax around the house and enjoy the beautiful grounds. Next time we will book an extra day!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

We are so glad that you and our other Cornell University Alums chose Halsey House for the reunion weekend and more importantly, that you enjoyed your time here, albeit somewhat limited by the organized activities of the weekend. We do hope that you will return and perhaps just for the opportunity to relax, reconnect and enjoy all that the Finger Lakes have to offer as well as our hospitality.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We recently stayed at Halsey house and thoroughly enjoyed it. The two David's were very attentive to our needs. I'm a very picky eater and when David asked if we had any special diet needs I was embarrassed to say I don't like fruits. David asked if I liked sorbet which I do, and he made me a delicious sorbet each morning for breakfast, the first morning he even had a croissant for me! The breakfasts were so good and very filling. We stayed in the Elegance room which was beautiful and very spacious. My only complaint was the room is close to the street, I was afraid the traffic would keep me awake. The other David showed me another room that was available and away from the road in case we wanted to change. I decided I liked Elegance better because it has three windows making it a nice bright room. We turned the AC on when we went to bed and I never heard the cars! They have a nice porch on the back of the house that you can have your coffee on in the morning and your wine at night! At night they had fresh baked cookies on the table, and they also have a refrigerator with complimentary sodas, very thoughtful! It is only 5 minutes away from Taughannock State Park and close to a lot of wineries. Beautiful place had a wonderful time would definitely go back again! Thank you to both David's for your great hospitality!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

No one should ever be afraid or embarrassed to express their food allergies or dislikes. While we do not have a commercial kitchen and are not trained chefs/cooks, we do our best to provide tasty meals for our guests with the foods they enjoy as we do not like to see guests leave unsatisfied. We were happy to accommodate you and we take pride in our having achieved yet another year of a Certificate of Excellence Award from Trip Advisor as evidence of our efforts to make all of our guests feel relaxed and content while staying at Halsey House B&B.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful two night stay at the Halsey House. We were celebrating my 50th birthday and couldn't have chosen a nicer place to go. We chose Halsey House based on a recommendation from friends who had been there and the great TripAdvisor reviews.

Our experience was great from start to finish. Dave greeted us at the car and helped us in with our luggage and showed us to our room. We stayed in the Indulgence room and it truly was that (see photos). It is beautifully decorated with antique charm but all the modern conveniences. The large whirlpool tub and multi-jet shower were very relaxing. The in room refrigerator/freezer was very helpful and convenient. The king size bed was very comfortable. We did not experience any problems with road noise. Dave also gave us a tour of the house and let us know where we could find whatever we needed. They have a nice out door deck area as well as a waterfall in the back that is beautifully landscaped. A very relaxing area to sit and maybe have a glass of wine. Each morning the breakfast was delicious and more plentiful than I could eat. They cook with many local products - very fresh and tasty - loved the sausage. They also provide water, soda, coffee, tea and snacks throughout the day in the hall and dining area. They also shared recommendations on restaurants and local attractions.

Let me say that "the Davids" are the most wonderful hosts. We enjoyed meeting them and having some entertaining discussions. We felt so welcome - like friends coming for a visit. David is a wonderful story teller and we laughed through some of his tales of Philly commuting. . Unfortunately we could only stay two nights as the inn was fully booked for the weekend due to Cornell graduation. We definitely plan to return to the Halsey House for another visit. Thank you Dave and David for a wonderful birthday trip.

Room Tip: We loved the Indulgence Suite! Had no problem with street noise.
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

A promise to return is a true compliment and we appreciate that greatly and welcome the opportunity to visit with you again. The Spring and Summer here are delightful but Fall brings another dimension with all of the color and cool breezes and Winter allows for some quiet time in front of one of the fireplaces along with one's beverage of choice. We do hope that you will return and we thank you for the very nice review, so glad you enjoyed your stay in the quiet and comfortable Indulgence Room.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

i am going to have a wonderful memory of beautiful spring days spent at Halsey House with my family and the 2 Daves that made our special weekend perfect. i have been thanked over and over by my family for making such a perfect choice in staying at this most lovely property. it was truly a perfect stay top to bottom. an excellent getaway spot in the most gorgeous part of NY.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Fond memories are what we love to provide to our guests, that and some relaxation and good food. Graduation weekend is such a special time for the graduate and for the graduate's family and we are so pleased when we can add to the celebration with good hospitality. We were delighted to meet all three of your sons and to share in Reed's excitement in an upcoming career/new beginning in Philadelphia. Our best to all of you.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Halsey House is a lovely rural property near Ithaca and Trumansburg. We stayed four nights for our son's graduation and it was terrific. Rooms very well appointed and comfortable. Breakfasts lovingly prepared and great variety. Only minor complaint is that the house is on a main road (as are most) so there is car noise from time to time at night.

Room Tip: Ask for room in back of house away from main road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Yes, this old home is close to the road but we have found that if our guests make use of the fans that are provided in each room, the ambient white noise serves to overcome most of the traffic noise and in the summer, with air conditioners also in full fan mode, there is little likelihood of any disturbed sleep...especially on these pillow topped beds that just envelope you and encourage a great rest.
We enjoyed having you here with us and the other families here to celebrate their new graduates and we appreciate being afforded the opportunity to make that special event even more memorable with gracious hospitality and service.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 wonderful nights (5/12 & 13) at Halsey House celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. Our stay was perfect. I surprised my husband with this getaway and it was exactly what I was looking for. From the moment we parked our car, Dave greeted us and took our luggage, until we (sadly) departed, we were treated like VIP's. The house is beautiful, tastefully furnished and decorated. We stayed in The Chamber, a lovely room, luxurious bedding, fabulous bathroom, all the little details meticulously thought of, thick, cozy bathrobes. We were made to feel perfectly at home, as comfortable as if we knew the David's for many years. There are serene outdoor seating areas to sit back and sip a glass of wine or just close your eyes and rest.
The property is beautifully maintained and inviting. The breakfasts - oh, there aren't words to describe the beauty and deliciousness of those morning meals. What a fabulous way to start the day. I think I can honestly say the quiche was the best quiche I've ever eaten. On both mornings the table was set for royalty. Both table settings were very different from each other and added to the ambiance of the dining room. As we approached the dining room we could here soft music which led us into the grand room. Dave and David spent their morning with us chatting and sharing some of their history. They were very informative about the region at large.
We can't thank you enough for your hospitality. We plan on returning In the fall with friends.

Thank Maryann A. T
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

I am humbled by your review of my quiche and am most appreciative. The two of us do make every effort to offer a breakfast that is both attractively presented and delicious to consume and a bit beyond what one would find in a hotel or local restaurant. The fact that you felt so at home here makes us know that we are succeeding in our goal to help our guests relax and reconnect with one another away from the sometimes frantic pace of daily life and a retuning guest just further reinforces that objective. Thank you and we do look forward to your return as we also wish you both many more happy years together.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I arrived at around 4:00P.M. and were sitting in our car waiting for 4:20 P.M. to kiss as that marked 40 years since we became Man & Wife. Dave met us at the car and took our bag to our room all the while telling us about the history of Halsey House. He was so friendly and helpful. We entered our room and were so taken back by its charm. Dave was so kind and helpful. The next morning we went to the dinning room for breakfast and what a treat is instore for you from the placesettings to the food. Here we met David for the first time. David again made sure we felt at home. I could go on and on. I'll finish by saying we plan on visiting our FRIENDS David and Dave again in the fall. You both made our time away very special indeed.

Room Tip: Any room you choose will be a hit!
David ., Owner at Halsey House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you for the nice review, we so enjoyed meeting you and your wife and quietly assisting in your celebration of 40 years together. We see ourselves as trustees/guardians of this historic property and hope that it attracts guests on its own merits that we then try to supplement with our hospitality which begins when we greet a guest in the parking lot and ends with a fond farewell and a hoped for return. We are pleased that you are already planning a return in the Fall, the countryside is beautiful then, the air is crisp and clean and we take returning guests as the best compliment to our efforts. Thanks again and we do look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trumansburg
Inn at Taughannock
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen
1897 Beekman House
1897 Beekman House
#1 of 11 in Dundee

Been to Halsey House? Share your experiences!