“Very well done place”

and up
Wild Center at Tupper Lake Admission
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Tupper Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wild Center is an 81-acre hands-on place to get all kinds of new perspectives on the wild world of the Adirondacks. It will include Wild Walk, a brand new trail across the treetops starting in the summer of 2015. The Wall Street Journal called The Wild Center "Glorious" in its review, and The New York Times called it "stunning". The Center has live animals, a wide screen theater, canoes, its own river, guides walks, tons of cutting-edge green building systems, and the only treetop walk in the Adirondacks.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I love the outdoor trails, and seeing the otters inside. This museum is very very well done, and lots of good exhibits that are up to date. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have to admit, we didn't have time to tour the inside of the Wild Center, but you've got to at least eat there, where the indoor/outdoor seating is below the level of the adjacent (meaning, so close you can touch it) lake. Beautiful. The rainbow bridge and the Wild Center building itself are breathtaking.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was looking forward to visiting The Wild Center, though my 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son were not.

We got there around noon and paid the admission fees in the main building. The exhibit area takes up about half the main building. The first thing you see is a rendering of a glacial wall from the Ice Age. Turning left, there is a mini pond with ducks, turtles and a variety of fish that live in the Dacks that held my kids interest for a few minutes. For the bog exhibit, there are a couple of pillows that you can stand on to simulate the feeling of standing in a bog. The main highlight, at least for my daughter, was the Otter Pool. We spent a few minutes watching the otters swim back and forth in the pool. In the dry area, there is a small that kids can crawl through, which mine did. All in all, it took less than a half hour to see the exhibit section.

After that, we ate lunch in the cafeteria area. While my kids felt the grilled cheese sandwich and the hot dog were ok, I actually liked the pocket pita sandwich with vegetables and highly recommend it. Once we were done with lunch, we went back to the front desk to meet the guides for the canoe trip, the tickets for which I had purchased in advance. We met our guides, Tink and Kayleigh, and along with an older couple, made our way through the parking lot, down a trail in the woods and to the dock in the Oxbow section of the Raquette River. For me, at least, this was the highlight of our visit. While we didn't see much in the way of wildlife, it is a very tranquil and beautiful place and you feel far away from civilization. My son and I took care of the paddling while my daughter sat in the middle. Tink and Kayleigh were personable guides. Apart from one boat speeding by for a brief moment, it was a nice outing apart from the heat, which Tink explained was the reason for the lack of animal activity.

After we returned from the canoe outing, we returned to the main building for drinks. At 4, Zoe, one of the center's naturalist staff, did a presentation with a skreech owl, which I enjoyed as I like owls. After that, we checked out the gift shop. I picked up a hiking book and some trail maps, while the kids selected some candy items. While they sat in the cafeteria area licking their candies, I did another walk through the exhibit area. By that time, the hall was virtually deserted.

We then watched one of the movies at 5 pm, which showed pictures of the Adirondacks from all seasons to some new agey kind of music soundtrack. After that, we took a quick walk outside on the bridge over the small pond in the back of the main building before calling it a day.

All in all, it was a pleasant visit for me. My son conceded that it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. I suspect kids 10 and under will find the Wild Center more enjoyable than older kids. Apart from walking some of the trails, there really wasn't much more that we could have done, though I would have liked to have seen the movie narrated by Sigourney Weaver. We arrived too late for the earlier showing and the later showing took place while we were canoeing.

I might come back again in the future to check out the elevated walkway they are building, which Tink told me would be completed by July 4 of 2015.

2  Thank Tommykey69
hfish, Manager at The Wild Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thanks for all the detailed description, and staff loved that at the end, the Center turned out to be cooler than your children expected.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Today was our first visit back to the Wild Center, we had not visited since last summer. We have always enjoyed this excellent natural history museum. We were pleased today to see all of the changes they had made since last summer. There are now so many activities for children, ranging from painting to hands on with a naturalist and live animals. Our grandchildren would love it and we would not hesitate to bring them next time. There is something for everyone at the Wild Center, even grandparents like us enjoy it very much, especially the otters!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I can certainly appreciate the Wild Center's mission, but our family, including two kids aged seven and nine, all of us fans of natural history museums, in general, came away feeling we'd wasted a day (and a pocketful of money). Sure, the building is beautiful, the otters are fun to watch and there's plenty to be learned by reading the plethora of informative signs, (way too much reading involved to keep the average young child entertained). The film A Matter of Degrees was OK, but don't bother with Above the Adirondacks (especially if you're prone to motion sickness) - poor, wobbly film-making accompanied by a horrible soundtrack. We'd been wooed by the lovely brochure we'd picked up on our drive north: "Glorious!" "Stunning!" "Don't miss it!" Sorry, no. I imagine the Wild Center might be more impressive once their planned expansion is completed next year, but either way, we won't return. Save your money - take a hike instead.

1  Thank Lizzie A
hfish, Manager at The Wild Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I am so sorry the Center did not meet your expectations. Our goal is always to find ways to open the door wider for people to be able to connect to the wild world, and see it in new ways for all that goes on there. We read these comments and take your feedback seriously. Personally, I hope that someday you return, perhaps after Wild Walk opens, and grab one of our interns for a behind the scenes tour or canoe paddle, and see if you can have an experience more like the ones that others have.