“best breakfast of my life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
The Pratt Smith House
Ranked #2 of 3 Utica B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I were on a road trip and had unexpected car trouble and got stuck by chance in Uitca New York. We checked Trip Advisor for any cool places to stay at a reasonable price to try to make the most out of misfortune. This turned out to be one of the best parts of our roadtrip. Very cute old historic house. VERY reasonable price (I think $75). The decor makes it feel like you are staying at your grandma's home. LOTS of china and knickknacks everywhere. But it was very clean. I can't imagine keeping all the stuff dust-free, but it was very clean. The room was small and a little crowded with lots of decor, the bed was just average, but it was all cozy. The couple who owns this place are so sweet and welcoming. We had the room with the private bathroom. There were brownies waiting in the room for us, and a pitcher of water with cups. We went out for dinner (if you stay overnight in Utica, we HIGHLY recommend Babe's Macaroni Grill, about a 5 minute drive from Pratt's- so delicious), came back and played "Clue" in the living room area. They have several games and movies you can use and it was really fun. The next morning, they had breakfast ready at 8am, and it was incredible. Started off with fresh, deliciously ripe mango slices with some other little fruit on top, pineapple upside down cake (that was heavenly as well) and then bagels with an egg dish that was so good I can't even describe. There was also juice and really good coffee, all served in fancy china teapots and dishes. Overall, it was a nice stay, very homey and I would definitely recommend it, if you don't mind knickknacks and decor.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms- one has a bathroom in the room which was nice. The other room the bathroom i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank learntolive

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Wonderful hosts, very gracious and welcoming.Delicious homemade breakfast, and cookies in room upon arrival. It was a great steal price wise and right on our way which was great. There were three of us and the hosts kindly provided a extra roll-a-way cot. Cannot stress how sweet the couple were. I forgot my favorite ring there and they shipped it back free of cost, it was such a great surprise since I wasn't sure where I had lost it. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank blome25744
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We thank Anne and Alan for opening their wonderful historic home to travelers. We have stayed here 3 times because we enjoy their company, their peaceful home, and outstanding breakfasts. Anne is a collector...each time we notice more ...books, hats, tea pots...and it is obvious that she knew what she wanted when she chose the items....you will not get bored!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beaker88
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband, daughter (age 4) and myself stayed at the Pratt Smith House in 2010.

Although it is somewhat off of the beaten path, it is very easy to find from the Interstate. We were greeted by Anne and Alan Frederick, the innkeepers, who were the perfects hosts! The home is a brick Federal style colonial adorned with many antiques and knicknacks. The downstairs has a parlor for guest use with a variety of books and a library of dvds if you choose to stay downstairs to watch television. There are two guestrooms upstairs. Ours had an ensuite bath, the other had a hall bath. After our tour, Anne retired to their living quarters with a promise of a sumptious breakfast in the morning.

Our mattress was a little on the lumpy side with a slight dip in the center. Our daughter was provided with a roll-a-way cot positioned at the end of our bed. After a good nights sleep we went down to the dining room where Anne's promise of breakfast awaited us. Our coffee was served from a silver serving set and our juice in goblets. They went out of their way to accommodate our daughter who has peanut/nut allergies. She felt extra special being allowed to eat from the fancy china! We were served fruit & yogurt parfait, a hot egg casserole, bacon and THE BEST pound cake ever - it had a hint of lime in the icing - yum! The Fredericks dined with us and made us to feel at home.

An absolute steal at $75. I would highly recommend the Pratt Smith House and hope that our travels take us that way again very soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family