“Looked and left”

Rest Inn
Rest Inn
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Had made reservations to stay 1 night and after seeing the lobby, asked to see rooms. King room was dingy, dank and disgusting. Queen room was a little better but we opted not to stay there. Manager wanted to charge for 2 rooms for 2 nights because we didn't cancel 2 days in advance. I had made reservation just about 8 hrs earlier and in the end paid a 1x $10 fee. Manager said she knew when we walked in that we wouldn't want to stay there.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Mary C

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed at the Scottish Inn in Utica because we booked fairly last minute and it was the least expensive I could find. I was fairly worried since some of the other reviews had a fair mixture of good and bad. I can say my bed was very comfortable and the room and bathroom was clean. This is an older hotel and we could hear the people in the room above us walking around the room, I slept well though since the bed was comfortable and spacious (it was a king size). The internet was supposed to be free, but we couldn't get it to work for any length of time. We arrived late and the parking lot was crowded, but there was still a space available for us. The people at the hotel next door seemed kind of sketchy, I think they were outside smoking (it was a Saturday night) and I thought I smelled an odor of marijuana in the air in the parking lot. The hotel worker at the front desk was nice, but she let it be known that she was upset that we were arriving late and had not called ahead. She had already charged the cardIi had reserved the room with even though I only used that card to reserve the room and didn't want the full charge to be made on that card. She then had to do a refund in order to have the room charged to the correct credit card. I wasn't thrilled that my credit card number that I had reserved the room with was randomly written on a piece of scrap paper. In the overall scheme of things all of the negatives that are listed above were pretty minor. If staying in the area again, I would shop around, to see if I could get a lower rate somewhere else, but if not, I would stay here again. In the end nothing bad happened and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel was very near to the freeway and although they had a small breakfast spread, we opted to go to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.

Room Tip: Maybe try an upper floor so you don't hear the people moving int he room above.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fodens_chick
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Similar to a previous poster I ran into the dishonest proprietor even thought I never stayed at the hotel. I booked through the number on the Trip Advisor link which turned out to be expedia and was assured that I could cancel the res with no penalty up to 3PM on the day of the Res.

When I called the hotel at 2PM to cancel they gave me a hard time and told me that I had to cancel through expedia. I explained that due to hurricane Irene there was no way to get though to expedia they said they did not care and were charging me nearly half the cost as a "cancellation fee". I kicked and screamed - she offered to charge me only $20 - thinking that this was some kind of negotiation.

I now have the two charges on my credit card and have to go through the hassle of getting the refund. Without getting into it too deep - they are dishonest. Book another hotel.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank marcharry
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I am giving Scottish inn the lowest score in customer service. We had our reservation online and we called the hotel, and talked with this Indian lady to verify the type of room. Supposedly all were set... now, we travelled all the way from New York City only to find out that the reservation was misleading. It was a long hours travel. She claimed she haven't talked to us... The 2 Indians in the reception are big liars, arrogant, not accomodating... So watch out! OMG!

2  Thank lgcale
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I was in Utica due to a family medical emergency. Got this room online thru orbitz at $45.00 a night. I figured ok, it wouldt be much & I knew I wasn't going to be there very much anyway. My lack of expectations was even shocked at how bad this place was. I believe that orbitz states that you get a free continental breakfast. Well...Orbitz forgot to verify this information. You get nothing. They do have a coffee maker (no pot), a toaster & a microwave in the "lobby", so I thought that is where breakfast would be. Next morning, nothing out there. Nothing there the next morning either.
The hallway... smells like cigarette smoke. VERY overwhelming. At least room 103 didn't smell like it.
Want shampoo? NOPE. All you get is soap.
Remote for the TV? yep, they have one, but it didn't work.
High Speed internet access? supposedly, but I couldn't connect.
I wouldn't stay here again even for $30.00 a night.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank chgf
Reviewed 16 August 2008

we stayed in utica in order to pick our daughter up at camp in the aderondaks the next morning. when we arived there were few parking spaces in front and no airconditioning in the tiny loby. we paied for our room a king smoking when we got up the stairs we found two double beds and a roach on the wall under the picture. so we got our money back and went to the Radisson.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank ny98aurora
Reviewed 13 March 2008

As we got there from a long drive, saw the un-inspiring front, but we said maybe its better inside. We go in and "WHAM" the smell of closed in spaces,not to fun for a 1st impression. He gives us the cards to fill out, but i insisted in seeing the room before, wich he agreed too, went to see it. As i went in, i double tracked out of there, the smell was every where, no windows opened small even tiny room, hardley space too move around, and cleanliness was not up to par. So we left. My parents smoked and wanted a room on the 1st floor, none were smokers. but since we were leaving, he was ready to make a non-smoking into a smoking, mom asked if that was honest way to go, and he replied he could do what he wanted. What a way to uphold the law. "don't recomend it to anyone."

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank imouttahere187