“Would not recommend!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We chose to go here for my husband's 65th birthday with a group of family. The bartender was very pleasant and it looked like a promising evening. I questioned the waitress before ordering as to whether the scallops were sea scallops or bay scallops. She said they were the "very large" ones- so I ordered them. When they came the waitress set them in front of me and said" I'm sorry- the chef said they came in very small this week- I hope it's ok". I took them so I could eat with the rest of the table. They were the size of bay scallops and overdone. My husband described his chicken dish as "edible". Everyone thought their salads were " Skimpy" and the bus person took away the bread before dinner and those who were waiting for dinner to have their bread were disappointed. After serving our coffee the waitress disappeared and we were never offered a refill. When she reappeared it was with the bill. We put the money in and she picked it up and walked away. None of this was a deal breaker as everyplace has an off night and we had eaten there before and enjoyed it. At that point, the owner (I believe) walked over and told us we needed to leave as he needed the table. Everyone was completely shocked at the rude way he spoke to us. I could have understood if we had been hanging around for a while but that was not the case. We said our goodbyes out in the rain after spending several hundred dollars and my husbands birthday was ruined ... Not by the dinner but by the rude treatment! We have since heard that if you are not a "regular" you are often treated shabbily. After this experience I could' not dispute that!! My sister-in-law mentioned our treatment to the owner's daughter on the way and was told that when we make our reservation we should tell them if we want to visit. Are you kidding... Isn't that why people go out... Not to mention all we wanted to do was say goodbye!! We and none of the people with us will ever go back!

4  Thank SDA113
There are newer reviews for Venturas

Reviewed 9 March 2014

First time there. Staff=great. Friendly, helpful, come often enough to be on top of stuff, but not too much to be distraction. Met the owner, the chef. My filet slightly overdone outside, but both our meals=excellent. The manicotti was off the charts good and so was the chicken parm. Hot, timely, I highly recommend this place. It will become a favorite spot for me now.

2  Thank JeffMatthews2014
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The service was great...The food excellent...We plan on going there every New Years Eve...and other occasions too...

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Restaurant was near our downtown. Zuchinni flower appetizer was drowned in butter/oil. Would not order again. We ordered veal dishes. The scaloppine medallions were very tender and tasty. In contrast the veal parmigiana was tough. Uneven dining experience. Will not return.

1  Thank Cleve2010
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Picked Ventura's b/c it was picked #1 on Yelp & the food was solid, quality Italian. Party of 5 for lunch - bill came to $130ish - no alcohol but we did have dessert.

Like others have reported - the décor is old school phenomenal and an addition to the meal. Our server was douchy. Not in love with his attitude, but hey, it's an old school Italian joint, it kinda goes with the turf.

Started w. mozz sticks, Ventura's greens, and stuffed mushrooms. I could have made a meal outta the greens. Spicy, a little crunchy, flavorful and just perfect imho. I ate Pasta Abondonza which offered a sample of lasagna, ravioli, eggplant & manicotti. A nice portion for 10.95 and just plain great.
Gnocci, stuffed artichoke, and zucchini flowers were enjoyed by my family. However - it wasn't clear from the specials board the artichoke & zucchini were appetizers. So 2 members of my party did not get what they were expecting. And if there's a butter shortage in Central NY, it's from the amount of juice the zucchini flowers were floating in. It was butter city.

Cannoli was top notch. And the dessert I chose - lemon tart (I think) was delicious. Lemony - w. white chocolate and a strawberry jelly filling layer. It was tasty.

Also - don't miss using the bathroom b/c it's seriously old school in there. And the Yankee display by the bar is a trip!

Overall, I don't think I would rank it #1 in Utica - and it's no Grimaldi's. But the greens and the red sauce won me over!

Been to Venturas? Share your experiences!