“Not reliable for big events.”
Review of Pier's & Blake - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pier's & Blake
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Bar
Description: Pier's and Blake, a restaurant and bar featuring Fresh, Masterfully Prepared Seafood, Pastas and Meats. Upscale, Yet Casual Atmosphere. Come visit our lavish cocktail bar and travel back to another era overlooking historic Utica train station in recently restored Doyle Hardware building.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not reliable for big events.”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Even with the new management, would not recommend pier's & blake for big events. We had our wedding there, managment are quite dishonest and will not stick to the contract. One meat entree was not served for buffet menu (that was ordered and payed for), they would not refund us.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Incredible-20

Utica
“New management knows how to please.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Want something a little different in a great setting. Our party of 7 all had excellent meals at a good price. Located in a historic old building, a good mix of 19th century and modern décor. Friendly staff. Some unusual menu items that we sampled and liked. Convenient parking. Not too dressy and not too casual, just comfortable. Will definitely go there again.

• Visited September 2013
Frankfort, New York
“interesting place”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

nice place to sit and watch the world go by. very interesting architecture. good food, a bit pricey for drinks.

Visited August 2012
Utica, New York
“Can't believe it was so bad”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I hate to give any restaurant such a terrible review, but I have no alternative here. Upon entering the place we were not even sure it was a restaurant. Several people in halter tops, jeans, etc. were sprawled on couches in a front room that appeared to be a room that was being moved into or out of -- no design, no class, sparsely furnished, totally unwelcoming and beyond description! The people were not diners. We were the ONLY ones eating in the restaurant the night we went which should have been the first clue. Allergies hit me the minute we walked in due to the musty smell, the age of the building and the millions of places for dust to gather -- second clue. The drinks list was on the table on a sheet of paper that was very wrinkled and also had spots on it from other diners. Types of wine were listed as merlot, pinot grigio, cabernet, etc. -- no prices, no further explanation of the producer. When I asked what the vineyard for each wine was, the waiter tried to "guess". I asked him to please ask the bartender -- third clue. The wine I chose was not bad, however. Each in our party ordered a different type of food (fish, Italian, etc.). No meal was good. In fact, they apologized and offered to comp us for part of a meal because the meat was so tough as to be inedible. The sauce on the riggies (which showed up as penne!) had a very strange taste. I could not place it but it tasted almost like the sauce had been frozen and for too long. I could go on, but this should suffice. I am sure you get the point. What you see on the website is not what you see when you get there.

• Visited June 2012
5 Thank Pat G
Utica
“So bad that you feel like it must be intentional...”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Pier's & Blake is awful. It's so bad there that you feel like they're trying to p*ss you off. It's just a really ridiculous place that is squandering an opportunity to actually be good. Their website claims that it's the "Classiest Bar/Restaurant between Toronto and New York City." So, my expectation was that any place that makes such an audacious claim to be better than hundreds of great bars and restaurants in the entire state of New York must at least be pretty good. That expectation was misguided. Our first attempt to have dinner there involved waiting over 90 minutes for a table (despite a reservation), then sitting with glasses of water and nothing else for 20 minutes until I had to go find the manager and tell him that we hadn't been acknowledged. He told me to be understanding because they'd just opened. That meal proceeded to take forever to be served and was mediocre and overpriced.

So, we weren't planning to return, but then Pier's and Blake offered a 50% off coupon locally and we were enticed back. We went on a Wednesday night and there was no one else there. After getting a couple drinks at the bar, we asked to be seated at a table and they brought us over to the dining area. By the way, their dining area is just part of an expansive open space that's cordoned off by temporary cubicle-like walling. It's awkward. Despite being the only people there, it took about 5 minutes for anyone to wait on us and then went downhill from there. Shortly after we were seated, a group of guys in suits showed up and, at that point, the restaurant was done with us for the night. The manager of the place was sitting with the suits and our server was reassigned to their table.

So, we now had a busboy as a server because more important customers had arrived. I ordered a Caesar salad and he brought me a house salad with Caesar dressing on it. Seriously? No one pays any attention to you at this place, so I had to yell to another server to come over and get me an actual Caesar salad. McDonald's knows the difference between a Caesar salad and a house salad with dressing, but the classiest restaurant between NYC and a foreign country apparently doesn't.

Then, despite my asking if the dish I ordered was spicy (and they assured me it was not), they brought out a ridiculously spicy dish that both my fiancee and I considered inedible. The busboy ultimately took the dinner back and they took it off our bill. By this point, we'd been at Pier's and Blake for 2 hours and I wasn't about to order something else and be there for another hour. So, we were only at $32 of a $40 coupon and I asked to talk to the manager. The "manager" they sent had previously filled the role of our bartender (the actual manager was entertaining the important men in suits). I felt like I was in a cartoon where Bugs Bunny shows up as the host, bartender, manager, and any other role you request that someone fill. When I explained that I didn't think it was fair that they were just going to take our coupon for $40 when the bill didn't total that much, he said "well, it's not my fault you ordered something and then decided you don't like it. What do you want me to do about it?" I ordered a dessert to make up the other $8. And the previous review is spot on -- it's very cold in there. We asked if they could turn the heat up (that is, while we still had a waiter) and he said it's an old building and there's nothing he could do. That seems like something that the classiest place to get dinner within 500 miles would have figured out before opening.

After leaving Pier's and Blake, we were still hungry and went across the street to the sports bar "The Cage." It was classier, warmer, and had better food and service -- and they don't even claim to be the best place in Utica.

• Visited March 2012